Camera recommendations

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Camera recommendations

Postby Skeely » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:27 pm

Seems like no one has been here in a while, but here is hoping…
I don't know hardly anything about photography, but I want to get a new camera and I need advice. For about 10 years we had the Nikon L1, and were very happy with it. Just a few months ago, it got all strange, and we got a Nikon L24. HATE IT! Most of my pics are out of focus, and what is worse, the lag time is so long after I take a picture before the camera resets to take another. (Here, I will time it…11 seconds before I can take another picture!) My baby is 11 months. In 11 seconds she is somewhere else and not doing the cute thing I was trying to take a picture of. I have missed months of photos with this stupid L24.

I am willing to invest in a more expensive camera than the L24, but I really need something that will take fast (action) photos, and then, especially, reset quickly! At the same time, I don't want to go for something that requires a course in photography to use--I am willing to learn a little though.

eta: I just saw there was a sticky for this but I see most of the responses are pretty old.
Skeely
Angel
Angel

Postby puddingpop » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:31 am

It's really hard to recommend a camera or cameras when it's not very clear as to what type your looking for. Do you just what a point n shoot that is going to be faster and more reliable in low light; or are you thinking a DSLR, were you can control the settings? How serious are you about your picture taking? Will this camera be just for taking some snap shots or are wanting to do more than snap shots? What is your budget for a camera? Point n shoots start pretty cheap and go up to the hundreds. DSLR start in the low hundreds and quickly go up for just the body, the lenses can also get pricey. There is the option to use a DSLR like a point n shoot with the green auto setting, but changing the mode setting into manual (and learning about shutter speed, aperture, and ISO) will result in better quality images.

When looking at either type of camera there are a few things you want to look at. The first is going to be the ISO capabilities. The higher the ISO the more the camera will work in low lighting settings. Be warned the shots taken with very high ISO settings may result in more noise (that grainy look in pictures). The noise will also depend on the camera's processing of noise too.

Next you'll want to look at how fast the shutter can work. A fast shutter speed can help result in that make or break it with capture that cute moment of quick little kiddos. Slower shutter speeds result in blurry pictures showing actions. Fast shutter speeds capture and freeze motion. So you'll want a camera that can get a really fast shutter speed.

Now you are also having problems with the speed between shots, you'll need to look at the frames per second abilities. The more shoots per second the less wait time for the processor to put the image into the memory card from the sensor.

Below are a few review links. Check out the reviews consider what you want and then go out to a store and try a few. Even with a point n shoot I suggest trying out the camera. If you think you'll take the plunge for DSLR, really research the camera, and try it out a few times. Also consider the lens you'll want to start out with. I hope this helps. Sorry I'm not giving any one particular camera model to suggest for you.

http://point-and-shoot-camera-review.toptenreviews.com/
http://digital-cameras.toptenreviews.com/compact/
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/collecti ... meras.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-prosumer-dslr-cameras/
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Skeely » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Thank you for your help! I agree that I didn't have a great idea of what I wanted or needed--I was overwhelmed by not knowing where to start. Those are great website reviews. After doing a LOT more reading I realized that I wanted a point and shoot but one that would be faster and more reliable. Bonus if it could give me some limited options to "play" when I was feeling creative, but also be portable. I ended up deciding on the Panasonic Lumix dmc-sz10. I don't have it yet, so I hope I like it!
Skeely
Angel
Angel

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs