Photo experts- help... flash units?

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Photo experts- help... flash units?

Postby Lindsey » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:01 pm

I am thinking of getting a Canon 430 EX flash for my EOS Rebel XTi. Will this really make a big difference in my photos? It is pretty pricey so I want to know what you all think? THANKS! :D
Lindsey

Postby annabugsmommy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:13 pm

I haven't a clue. I use only natural light. I don't even use the flash on my camera, so I'm of no help. Sorry! But I do know of people who use external flashes and bounce them to give a nice effect. The people that use them seem to love them.
annabugs mommy With God, ALL things are possible. His blessings are endless.

Image Image Image Image
Anna Bugs - 7
Tripp - 4
Isla - 5 months
annabugsmommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ahavati » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:33 pm

Lindsey, I have the same camera, try a Sigma 500 DG Super flash. I think it may be cheaper than Canon but it works great! It also swivels 180 degrees which def helps when you want to do vertical shots and still want to bounce the flash. Always try to bounce the flash, if you put it directly on the subject it can wash them out and giver you that flash look. Also if you want, invest in a diffuser (not too expensive, I've found some for about $25) that will help spread the light evenly. With those you can actually use it directly towards your subject. HTH!

Oh and yes it will improve your photos. It will give them more even lighting (depending on how you position it). But it will fill in shadows and all. You can also use them outdoors at times when you are getting a lot of shadow on the face and it helps to fill in those shadows.
Cassandra - Mama to Anthony, Ephram, Avalea, Chaiya, Elijah and Samuel

Active DVT at 11 weeks 9/2013
Ahavati
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby TXlonghorn » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:37 am

I am a pro and use the Canon flashes, but for non-pros I would go with a Sigma or off brand flash. You will get comparable results at a much cheaper price. The pros use the Canons because they are sturdier workhorses when you are using them all the time.
Kristen (me) ~ 28 | DH ~ 31
BFP 2/21/08 on 7th cycle of Clomid
Michael "Mr. M" was born 10/28/08! :babyb:
Surprise BFP on 4/4/09! Bradley "Boo Radley"
was born 11/20/09
TXlonghorn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs