2nd lens choice

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

2nd lens choice

Postby Christina-BFPinMT » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:53 pm

Hello fellow shutterbugs! I'm on a mission for find a 2nd lens for my D40. I have the 18-55 lens that came with my kit. It takes good pictures but I want some zoom. I want to be able to take closer pictures of Maddy and Austin from across the yard.. at least like 15 feet. I'm thinking of either getting a 55-200mm to pair with my current lens. But am not sure. Or maybe forking out the extra money to get the 18-200 for an all the time type of lens. But that means I'd need to wait a few months on. a cheaper one like the 55-200 I could probably get now.
What do you ladies think? All advice welcome!!
Christina
ImageImage
ImageImage
Christina-BFPinMT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Shannybaby » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:44 am

Well I am no expert.. but I plan on getting the 75-300 lens ! You'll have to let me know what you get Christina ;)
Shannon :hb: Adam
ImageImage
ImageImage
Our sweet baby girl, Aspen Greer, arrived March 1st 2013 at 4:30 am weighing 6lb 20in !! <3
Shannybaby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby annabugsmommy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:23 pm

I would recommend the 50mm 1.8 lens. It's a prime lens. Some people call it a "foot lens" meaning that it doesn't zoom so you have to walk back and forth to zoom in and out, but it's SUPER sharp and has a very narrow depth of field meaning you'll get that super blurry background. For instance, if you focus on little ones toy that they are holding up, the toy will be in focus and the little one blurred in the background.

When I got started with photography this lens was HIGHLY recommended that every photographer have one. It's the best and sharpest lens for your money. I got mine...Nikon....for $120 from Ritz camera. LOVE that lens and it's aperture (the 1.8 ) is so low that you can shoot in low light without using flash. DEFINATELY worth looking into if you want a great SHARP low light lens. Was my first purchased lens and I still pull it out and use it over my other expensive lenses all the time!
annabugs mommy With God, ALL things are possible. His blessings are endless.

Image Image Image Image
Anna Bugs - 7
Tripp - 4
Isla - 5 months
annabugsmommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ahavati » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:33 pm

annabugsmommy wrote:I would recommend the 50mm 1.8 lens. It's a prime lens. Some people call it a "foot lens" meaning that it doesn't zoom so you have to walk back and forth to zoom in and out, but it's SUPER sharp and has a very narrow depth of field meaning you'll get that super blurry background. For instance, if you focus on little ones toy that they are holding up, the toy will be in focus and the little one blurred in the background.

When I got started with photography this lens was HIGHLY recommended that every photographer have one. It's the best and sharpest lens for your money. I got mine...Nikon....for $120 from Ritz camera. LOVE that lens and it's aperture (the 1.8 ) is so low that you can shoot in low light without using flash. DEFINATELY worth looking into if you want a great SHARP low light lens. Was my first purchased lens and I still pull it out and use it over my other expensive lenses all the time!

I second this. I absolutely LOVE LOVE this lens. It's amazing!!!!!!!!
Cassandra - Mama to Anthony, Ephram, Avalea, Chaiya, Elijah and Samuel

Active DVT at 11 weeks 9/2013
Ahavati
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Shannybaby » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:21 am

annabugsmommy wrote:I would recommend the 50mm 1.8 lens. It's a prime lens. Some people call it a "foot lens" meaning that it doesn't zoom so you have to walk back and forth to zoom in and out, but it's SUPER sharp and has a very narrow depth of field meaning you'll get that super blurry background. For instance, if you focus on little ones toy that they are holding up, the toy will be in focus and the little one blurred in the background.

this is the lens i have and LOVE it !
Shannon :hb: Adam
ImageImage
ImageImage
Our sweet baby girl, Aspen Greer, arrived March 1st 2013 at 4:30 am weighing 6lb 20in !! <3
Shannybaby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs