Editing

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Editing

Postby charlotteb » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:25 pm

Pretty new to all of this! I've just really gotten into photography, but I'm finding that the more I get into it, the more I'm liking the editing/finishing side of things more than actually taking the pics.

A good friend of mine took these pics (except the one of my niece playing in the dirt - my sister took that.) I just decided to fool around with them some.

Thoughts?

Again, just a beginner. But I welcome criticisms. :)

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

If you can't tell, I'm into soft, antique-y looks. :)
Me (Charlotte): 28
DH: 33
DS1: 3
DS2: Brand new!
Image 8/2010 1/2011 Chemical 4/2011

charlotteb
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby annabugsmommy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:02 pm

I think you did a great job. After all, photography...and editing...is art. So, there is no right or wrong...to an extent. There are right and wrong techniques to actually taking the pics...but the editing process is simply in the eye of the beholder. You did a great job achieving the "vintagey" look :) LOVE the color popped pic the best! But, I'm a sucker for saturated colors and the composition is great as well.

Although you can do a LOT with photoshop, to get that PERFECT picture...even when editing...it needs to be pretty much right straight out of the camera. For instance, the pic of the couple kissing has a lot of shadows and they're a bit distracting in the pic, even though your editing is nice. But, I know you didn't take the pic...but it's harder to fix a "not good" photo than a good photo. KWIM??

As far as editing, the best advice I could give you is to take each photo and feel the emotion of the photo and try to edit your pic in order to bring out the emotion of that photo. When I began with PS, I wasn't sure what to do to the pics, so I just "inny-minny-miny-mo'd" what I did to the pictures. Now, I turn on some music, sit back, and litterally try to mentally go back to the time and place of the shoot that I am editing and try to remember everyones emotions and the feel of the shoot. Then it all comes together.

I've rambled cause I'm sick and bored and it's late ;) You're doing a great job :)
annabugs mommy With God, ALL things are possible. His blessings are endless.

Image Image Image Image
Anna Bugs - 7
Tripp - 4
Isla - 5 months
annabugsmommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby booboo » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:22 pm

I agree, I think you're off to a great start!!

I am pretty new to editing as well... and once I started that, I realized that I need to fix a lot of things in my photography technique- so that is what Im working on improving now :)

You should come hang out with us on our Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/twwbabies/

I really like Flickr, because its primarily serious amateurs and professionals, so the feedback you get is more helpful than the feedback of friends/family (who will automatically tell you 'its nice'! :wink:)
booboo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs