Booboo

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Booboo

Postby Christina-BFPinMT » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:16 pm

So did you feel like the book "Skin" that you had bought was a good purchase? Have you liked using it? Or is it collecting dust? I was just wondering what you had thought about it, and if you'd recommend it? Or any other books I should look into? I'm looking over the website you recommended!
Oh and what camera do you have? And what lenses are you using?

EDITED TO ADD:

okay.. Image. I just re-read my post and sorry it was soo many questions! Obviously it's late and I'm tired.
Anyways.. Image I'm Christina, and love reading your posts and looking at the editing you do! And your girls are adorable I love looking at their pics! I have a little girl, Madison who will be 2 on May 23, and a little boy, Austin, who is almost 4 months!
I just recently got a Nikon D40 and have had it since about.. well.. I think the beginning of March.. not exactly sure. time flies with a newborn! I currently only have my kit lens which is the 18-55mm. Hopefully I'll be getting the 50mm that Dee(annabugsmommy) had recommended. And am also on the lookout for a decent priced zoom lens.
Anyways.. now I'm kind of rambling! So hopefully you know me a little better and I'm not just shooting a million questions at you!! Image
Christina
ImageImage
ImageImage
Christina-BFPinMT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby booboo » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:40 am

lol, thats okay, I know who you are! :wink: I sometimes lurk your posts since we have similar ages for our babies

the book Skin..... um, its collecting dust :oops: After my initial mishap buying it, I discovered that it was written for CS3 users, and its just too difficult to mimic most of those techniques in Elements. Since then I have started a trial CS3, but I havent looked at the book again. The book I've been reading lately is Scott Kelby's 7 Point System ... it is also for CS3, but his advice is more practical for full spectrum editing, rather than focusing on skin.

The next book I am going to get is Understanding Exposure which was highly recommended to me.

I use a Canon Rebel XT digital SLR... but I am just now venturing off of the auto setting. I usually use a Canon 35-80mm lens, but I also have a Tamrom 70-300. I am going to buy the 50mm lens also, just need to save up some money.

so right now I'm kinda in a holding pattern.... Trying to figure out the manual settings and this dang flash.... and I need to convince my parents to get me CS3 as a birthday present this week :twisted:
booboo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Christina-BFPinMT » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:15 am

I think it's so intimidating to go off the auto setting. That's my project for today and this weekend. Hopefully our weather here will clear up and we can venture outside and play around with things!
Do you like your Tamrom 70-300? I had looked into getting one of those. But still am just not sure what I want. I know I would love a good zoom lens. And that seems like it'd probably do what I'd want it to!

Good luck getting the CS3. I hear it's awesome! Right now I use just the basic Photoshop CS. I don't know where my dad got it, or how old it is, but it was just on my computer when I got it from him (hand me down :))

I'm afraid if I buy a book I'll never read it. But I think I'll give it a shot. I bought a introduction to my D40 DVD, and still haven't found the quiet time that I could sit down and actually watch it without distractions!!
Christina
ImageImage
ImageImage
Christina-BFPinMT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby booboo » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:19 pm

I like the tamron 70-300, but I dont LOVE it, and I dont use it very often :? It was bought for me by an ex boyfriend who used to take lots of wild animal pics when he was working on the oil slopes. Since I mostly am taking pictures of the kids, its just too heavy and a PITA to focus properly. I suppose its nice to have around though for things like zoo pictures, where you are too far away for a regular lens (or for macros).

You know, my favorite thing about the 7 Points book is that it is made up of like 27 small lessons- the first few teach you the basics of his 7 points, and then the rest of the lessons just drill the skills into your head. Each lesson takes me about 30-45 minutes (quicker obviously as I became more familiar with the concepts and CS3)
booboo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AmandaP » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:54 am

The Understanding Exposure book ROCKS! It was the first book I bought as a beginner and it helped sooooooo much. I highly recomend it! :D
Image Image
Check out the new site!: www.aprincephoto.com
AmandaP
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Shannybaby » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:53 am

Christina-I have the book, digital field guide for digital rebel XTi/400D, its for canon but its great, i havent really been able to sit down and read it alot though... Glad you decided to get the 50mm, that what I have and really love it... I really want the 75-300 lens, i know I say that in pretty much every post here,lol...

Booboo- Do you think that a canon 70-300 would be better ? instead of tamron ? I just ask because you said you didnt use it that much and its heavy.. thanks !
Shannon :hb: Adam
ImageImage
ImageImage
Our sweet baby girl, Aspen Greer, arrived March 1st 2013 at 4:30 am weighing 6lb 20in !! <3
Shannybaby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ahavati » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:03 pm

I have the Tamron 70-300 lens and it is better to get that IMO. I tested both and there really isn't much difference if any in quality and the Tamron is a heck of a lot cheaper than the Canon. Mine doesn't really seem heavy but then again I only use it selectively. I like Tamron lenses. They are very comparable to Canon lenses but not so expensive. I'm getting their 2.8 lens next.

However the 50mm is my most FAVORITE lens out of them all so far! That one I did get Canon brand. I can do so much with it and it comes out amazing!
Cassandra - Mama to Anthony, Ephram, Avalea, Chaiya, Elijah and Samuel

Active DVT at 11 weeks 9/2013
Ahavati
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Shannybaby » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:32 pm

cassb wrote:I have the Tamron 70-300 lens and it is better to get that IMO. I tested both and there really isn't much difference if any in quality and the Tamron is a heck of a lot cheaper than the Canon. Mine doesn't really seem heavy but then again I only use it selectively. I like Tamron lenses. They are very comparable to Canon lenses but not so expensive. I'm getting their 2.8 lens next.

However the 50mm is my most FAVORITE lens out of them all so far! That one I did get Canon brand. I can do so much with it and it comes out amazing!

Thanks.. I have the 50mm canon lens too and love it, bought my camera used and it came with that and I am so glad that it did, otherwise I probably wouldnt have bought it myself and its a great lens.. of course I dont have anything to compare too...
Shannon :hb: Adam
ImageImage
ImageImage
Our sweet baby girl, Aspen Greer, arrived March 1st 2013 at 4:30 am weighing 6lb 20in !! <3
Shannybaby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby booboo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:50 pm

shanny... not sure about tamron vs. canon... I've never been lens shopping, my 70-300 was a gift from my ex :dunno: But I am gonna buy that 50mm that everybody is raving about!
booboo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs