I need some feedback...

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

I need some feedback...

Postby lukesmommy » Sat May 03, 2008 8:55 pm

I just did my first editing/photoshop attempt and I know I'm not good... but I'm trying :wink: Anyways, here's the before and after - can anyone offer up some advice or what I can do better next time??

My neice and her daddy before their father/daughter dance:
BEFORE

AFTER

I was trying to get her teeth whiter but I was having a tough time. Also, I wanted to make her lips darker - but again, I suck at this! :wink:

What do you think?

TIA!
Me - 28
DH - 30
TTC #1 since June 2005 ~ 35 cycles total

IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP!
lukesmommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby booboo » Sat May 03, 2008 11:07 pm

LOVING that pregnancy ticker!!!

I am still learning too, but here are my thoughts...

If you're trying to draw more attention to the subjects, I would blur the background to create a greater depth of field.

best way to make lips darker is to use the 'burn' tool.... just be sure to reduce the opacity so that its not crazy out of control, I usually keep it between 9-19%

Teeth whitening.... same deal as before, but use the 'dodge' tool. (burn= darker, dodge= lighter)

the color looks a little washed out.... check out this tutorial: http://www.flickr.com/photos/algengler/501093542/

I know thats a lot of info to throw at you, its a huge learning curve when you're new! What editing software are you using?
booboo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lukesmommy » Sun May 04, 2008 5:42 am

Thanks Erica!! I knew you'd reply! :)

I'm using photoshop (don't know what version :oops: ). I'm a complete ammature though! (As you can tell!)

I was playing around with the dodge tool last night to brighten the eyes, I'll try that with the teeth too. I didn't know about the burn tool, so I'll play with it. I was trying to blur just the background but I kept messing the whole photo up. Do I need to lasso it again and choose a selection to blur or is there a way to blur the background without doing that?

Wait, I just need to read that darn tutorial! :wink: :) I'm off to do that now - I'll try to post an update picture later on. Thanks so much!

-Angie
Me - 28
DH - 30
TTC #1 since June 2005 ~ 35 cycles total

IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP!
lukesmommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby booboo » Sun May 04, 2008 8:34 am

hmmm, try to find out which version you are using, because if it is CS3, its really easy to do the blur with a mask.

come hang out with us on flickr!! http://www.flickr.com/groups/twwbabies/
booboo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ahavati » Sun May 04, 2008 10:37 am

When you open up Photoshop, the opening screen will say what version you are using. (ie: CS1, 2, 3 or Version 5, 6, 7, 8, ect...)
Cassandra - Mama to Anthony, Ephram, Avalea, Chaiya, Elijah and Samuel

Active DVT at 11 weeks 9/2013
Ahavati
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs