Pro Photographer Introduction

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Pro Photographer Introduction

Postby Alexis » Tue May 13, 2008 9:10 am

Hi all! I am a photographer based in Mississippi and I was on these boards back in '06-'07 with my first baby:) The shutterbug section wasn't here then! I am now pregnant with my second due in January, and I wanted to introduce myself over here and say that I would be happy to contribute and answer any photography related questions anyone might have!

I'm also wondering how many on here are also professional photographers!

My website is http://www.redstonephotos.com and my blog is http://www.redstonephotos.blogspot.com if anyone is curious:) I do mostly families, babies/children, and some weddings/engagements. I look forward to getting to know you all
Alexis

Postby booboo » Tue May 13, 2008 10:40 am

thanks for joining us Alexis!!

I actually do have some questions for you (and Dee, and the other pro's)...

1. When you chose your business name, did you go through any sort of copyright process?

2. How long did you wait before 'launching' your business and making it all legal through the IRS, etc?

3. When you were first starting out, how did you build your portfolio?

4. What is the best kind of advertising to use?

5. How do you determine what your pricing will be?
booboo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Alexis » Tue May 13, 2008 12:44 pm

1. When you chose your business name, did you go through any sort of copyright process? No copyright process for the name, just registered it locally with a business license

2. How long did you wait before 'launching' your business and making it all legal through the IRS, etc? I did some portfolio building, and as soon as I was ready to start charging, I registered my business.

3. When you were first starting out, how did you build your portfolio? I offered a few select people free sessions and half off of their photo orders. I tried to do people outside of my community so I wouldn't have issues with people taking me seriously when I began charging full price. I then used these first few sessions to put together my website and it took off from there!

4. What is the best kind of advertising to use? The 2 absolute best things were word of mouth (spread like wildfire!) and my website. Before I started my business, I had drawn up pages of marketing ideas, and I never needed to implement them, because the word of mouth was so effective. Plus, if you have a decent website, people will come to you already knowing your style, prices, policies, etc. and will be ready to book sessions!

5. How do you determine what your pricing will be? Do research in your local area and see what other photogs are charging that have work comparable to yours. Use that to set your prices. At the beginning, give discounts on your prices, then phase out the discounts, instead of starting with low prices and raising them later. This adds value to your work.

Good luck and feel free to let me know if you have any more questions! I love talking about photography and my husband is probably quite sick of it!!!!!!!!
Evelyn Skye b. 04/15/07
Sienna Claire b. 01/17/09

Alexis

Postby booboo » Tue May 13, 2008 1:53 pm

Alexis wrote: I love talking about photography and my husband is probably quite sick of it!!!!!!!!

Indeed! Thanks for your quick answers :) My DH bought me the camera, and used to complain that I never used it. NOW, he's complaining that I never put it down! :roll: Just cant please 'em, huh? :wink:
booboo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby missnita » Tue May 13, 2008 8:09 pm

Semi-professional photographer here [I also have a separate home business besides photography] & I'm in New Brunswick, Canada.

My website is: www.fresh-photography.ca

Although I love photographing people, I have a passion for still life & food shots :) But I can't wait to photograph our new addition in a few months.

Love meeting fellow photogs!
ME - Anita: 31
DH - Patrick: 32
DS1 - Oliver: 2
DS2 - Eli: Born 10/22/10

Image Image
missnita
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Alexis » Wed May 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Nice to meet you ladies!!!!!!!
Evelyn Skye b. 04/15/07
Sienna Claire b. 01/17/09

Alexis

Postby TXlonghorn » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:13 am

Erica, I would recommend registering your business name in your city. I have to say that I know about three people that already use your business name...so somebody beat you to it. :)
Kristen (me) ~ 28 | DH ~ 31
BFP 2/21/08 on 7th cycle of Clomid
Michael "Mr. M" was born 10/28/08! :babyb:
Surprise BFP on 4/4/09! Bradley "Boo Radley"
was born 11/20/09
TXlonghorn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby booboo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:08 pm

yep, I know there are a few others out there across the states.... but I am the only one in AK, I have a state business license
booboo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Shellbelle4 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:25 pm

EVERY time I read the Light of the World Photography link, I'm whisked back in time to an 80s wedding and start singing in my mind "light of the world, shine on me, love is the answer..." - which is the objective in good advertising... get it stuck in the viewer's mind, right? Erica - you've succeeded! Too bad I don't live in Alaska! :D
me 32, DH 38

DD born March 25, 2008, 8:35am, 7lb 14oz, 22 and 1/2 in
DD#2 born March 26, 2010, 4:49am, 7lb 3oz, 21in

Shellbelle4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs