SLR or point & shoot?

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

SLR or point & shoot?

Postby january » Mon May 26, 2008 7:32 am

I want to get a GOOD camera for when the baby is born... DH & I are both NOT the video camera type of people, but I love taking pictures so I want something really, really good. Right now I've got a miniscule sub-compact that I carry around with me in my purse -- it'll be great for the diaper bag but the quality isn't the hottest.

I'm debating between a point & shoot or a SLR and just weighing the options between both. I'm usually the picture taker but I told DH that he's going to have to start getting behind the camera too. I want at least a few pics of ME and the baby! :)

Right now I've got it narrowed down to something like a Canon Rebel (I've got some friends with a Rebel and love the pictures they take with it) and a Canon Powershot.

I'm curious as to what the learning curve is with an SLR. I'm willing to learn & mess around with the settings but I know DH really isn't. I know nothing about SLR's -- is there some kind of standard setting that DH can use and still get decent pics without any adjustments?

Also, what would we be missing out on if we went with the point & shoot instead of the SLR?

I'm not deadset on either specific type of Canon (or a Canon at all for that matter) -- these two just seemed to have the best ratings from the research I did. Are there other versions/brands that you guys prefer over the ones I mentioned? And why?

Thanks in advance for helping me out with this! I'm planning on putting the camera on our registry so I want to get hashed out exactly WHAT I want fairly soon.
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby booboo » Tue May 27, 2008 10:31 am

SLR
Pros:
well, the biggest difference is that a SLR will give you a lot more versatility. For example, if you decide later on that you would like a different lens (more or less zoom, etc), then you can 'add on', rather than buying a whole new camera. Also a SLR gives you the manual control that many compact cameras do not. I have a Canon Rebel and I think it takes great pictures. There is an 'auto' setting, for those who prefer to let the camera do the thinking, but shooting manually gives you A LOT more creative control. There are a bunch of tutorials online that can teach you how to shoot manually, and the library is always a valuable resource

Cons:
They are big, bulky, and a pain to haul around. I just started carrying mine with me daily- and it takes up a huge portion of my purse. Buying additional accessories and lenses can be REALLY expensive.

Compact:
Pros:
Its small! Easy to carry, easy to whip in and out of a pocket. Many of the new models have just as high of quality pics as an SLR. Cheaper than an SLR

Cons: limited creativity, limited lens options- limited flash options too.

One issue that I quickly ran into with my SLR was the 'on camera' (built in) flash. It was too bright and too harsh of light for shooting baby pictures. I recently bought an accessory flash that attaches to my SLR, so I can control the light (still learning how to use it though!).

If you plan on just casual shots (milestones, cute outfits), then I would get the compact. If you plan on doing serious amateur/hobby work, then I would definitely invest in the SLR!
booboo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mszenasi » Thu May 29, 2008 5:29 am

It really depends on what you want to achieve. If you want professional looking images then I would definatly recommend the SLR. I bought one a few months ago, and the difference between that and my point and shoot are amazing. I rarley use my point and shoot any more, only for when we go on family outings and stuff. I have a Canon Rebel aswell and love it.
Melanie - WAHM to Ethan 8, Jessica 5 and Austin (01/24/2009) #4 Due March 29th..IUD Pregnancy

Licenesed La-di-da, Fattycakes and Happysnap Seamstress
http://Canadiancloth.Etsy.com

mszenasi
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Sara_B » Thu May 29, 2008 8:10 am

I have both. (And I highly recommend all things Canon)

The Powershot lives in my purse and is there for quick snapshots. The big camera comes out when I'm trying to be a little more professional. I think it will get a LOT more use once the baby comes, though. Look on ebay- you may be able to find a good used camera for way cheaper and be able to get both. I've bought several cameras from there and never had a complaint.
Sara, Clint
ds#1 Carter born 01/03/2009
ds #2 Cooper born 09/02/2010

My Scentsy
Sara_B
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby gemesq » Thu May 29, 2008 7:44 pm

I highly recommend the Nikon D40. I just got one for Mother's Day and I have been playing around with it the past couple days. There is a bit of a learning curve, if you do not have any major photography experience or training. I had to learn what shutter speed and aperture mean, etc., but now I feel a little more equiped to take great pictures. I took some today and I was really impressed with what the camera can do. The Nikon D40 (and probably the Canon as well) has a LCD screen on the back with tons of menu options, just like a computer. In certain modes you can select black and white or crisp, vivid color pictures. It is pretty neat!

I would highly recommend getting an SLR, I have only had mine a short while and I am already addicted.

Oh, and I definitely agree w/ pp about looking on e-bay. My DH bought my Nikon D40 on e-bay and got TONS of extras, for the same price you would pay for just the camera (2 tripods, slave flash, lens kit, memory card, card reader, lens cleaner, camera bag, and much more). He bought it from a dealer back east- there are always postings for this dealer's packages, just type in "Nikon D40."
Little Baby Lana- our Christmas miracle- born 12/25/07
Image Image
gemesq
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs