Getting little ones to pose??

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Getting little ones to pose??

Postby mszenasi » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:05 am

Maybe you guys can help me out since many of you here have little ones you photograph. My daughter will not stay infront of the camera. As soon as I pull it out, she wants to see that babies inside. She spends the whole time trying to climb on my lap and see the viewscreen, and If I try to make her sit down or stand or do anything infront of the camera, she screams and crys...not the best photo op. I can get a few shots by telling her shes has to help me "catch" the babies first by standing in a certain spot...but now the fun game is to run away before the baby is caught. I've tried placing her on chairs, rocking horses, distracting her with toys...none of it works,...she just gets frustrated. I love photographing my kids, both are gorgeous and very photogenic. any help would be appreciated.
Melanie - WAHM to Ethan 8, Jessica 5 and Austin (01/24/2009) #4 Due March 29th..IUD Pregnancy

Licenesed La-di-da, Fattycakes and Happysnap Seamstress
http://Canadiancloth.Etsy.com

mszenasi
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby booboo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:22 am

on man.....

you know, back before I was a parent, I used to work at some of the 'big box' portrait studios (Sears, etc), and I never understood why my fellow photographers had such a hard time capturing their own kids.

Now, as a mom, I TOTALLY understand!!! Your own kids are the hardest ever! Because, not only are you not interesting/new to them, they have a level of familiarity that makes them do things like climb into your lap to see the viewfinder :wink:

Perhaps a temporary solution would be to turn off the image review on your camera? I know its convenient, but usually you *know* if you got the shot or not. Another idea, although somewhat impractical, would be to set up a tripod and have the camera focused and ready, and then "forget" about it and play with the kids near the prop/scene you have created. You could trigger the camera with one of those wireless remotes and it would be "magic" :mrgreen:

I sympathize so much, I think most of my best shots have been while I was sneaking up on the kids, or taking pics while they are busy playing.

Remember, the more you are around with the camera, the more they will get used to it and become bored with looking at the viewfinder :wink:
booboo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AmandaP » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:37 pm

I always tell little ones that my screen is broken and it doesnt work...

Also try telling the kids that thier favorite caracter is inside your lens and if they look really hard they might get a chance to see um. Its worked few times for me.

Good luck! :D
Image Image
Check out the new site!: www.aprincephoto.com
AmandaP
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Beautiful pictures and baby!

Postby chelsm » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:12 am

Amanda, you have a beautiful baby and you do beautiful pics! I'm jealous!! Just one question though, are any of the photos enhanced? I was looking at your babies 2 week pics. Or does your camera just take that awesome of pics?
ImageImage
chelsm
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mszenasi » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:51 pm

I guess i'll try taking it out for a little while every day and see if she gets bored with it...it's hard to sneak it out while thier playing...it's a Rebel XTI with battery grip... '

Im still in the learning phases of photography, and since im learning I refuse to take my camera off manual..I look at the viewfinder after each shot to see what I got then play with it until I get what Im envisioning.

Im looking forward to the newborn...that poor thing is going to get photographed more often then the first one did :) And it can't run away.
Melanie - WAHM to Ethan 8, Jessica 5 and Austin (01/24/2009) #4 Due March 29th..IUD Pregnancy

Licenesed La-di-da, Fattycakes and Happysnap Seamstress
http://Canadiancloth.Etsy.com

mszenasi
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AmandaP » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:06 am

aww thanks. Some are slightly tweeked, but I do very little photoshoping. (sometimes I sharpen and adjust tones and im trying to experiment with better cropping)
I got my first dSLR about a year ago and decided to dedicate the entire year to incamera learning. Most of my photos are achieved by the use of various filters, correct natural lighting, perfecting white balance, and correct exposure. Its really the lighting that makes the difference. I must give nikon some credit though, they build fantastic cameras. I have the D200 and its an incredible machine.

mszenasi- thats awesome that you are learning and only using manual. Thats how I do it and I feel thats the only way to ever truely understand photography. Newborns are super fun to photograph! Good Luck! :D
Image Image
Check out the new site!: www.aprincephoto.com
AmandaP
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs