Home Studio!!

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby booboo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:14 pm

PROPS!! lol, start collecting props now, that is what I am spending way TOO much money on :doh: other than that, I have no idea.... I work with the most basic equipment.... but make sure you have lots of extra backdrops too, my stuff keeps getting peed on by the babies 8)
booboo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AmandaP » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:13 am

lots and lots of baby blankets or cool fabric to lay babies on. You can never have enough blankets... like Erica said, everything gets peed on. Definantly props. I like to use cool baskets to put babies in, also a boppy pillow makes a fine way to set a baby in, drape a blanket over it and its a great seat. You can buy lots of cheap material and make your own backgrounds.

You've got plently to start a home studio... I dont even have a quarter of the stuff you do. Also experiment with the natural light coming into your home.
Image Image
Check out the new site!: www.aprincephoto.com
AmandaP
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby booboo » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:35 am

I have tried to shop the 'resale' stores for most of my props.... my recent finds:

a wicker basket that would be perfect with some fall scene props (leaves, apples)

dark wicker basket with cream lining

oblong basket for baby to stretch out on

colorful hat box

TONS of beaded necklaces and lace

my giant teacups are actually flower pots from Walmart

watch craft stores for discounts on fake flowers... I will probably use the sunday coupon to buy a wooden child size bench that I can spray paint.

and I'm always on the lookout for cute wooden toys, like little sailboats, train sets, and other good 'boy' props.

I also want to get together a 'hunting' scene, a 'fishing' scene, a 'bathtub' scene and a cooking stock pot scene.

Also on my wish list:
tea party set
moses basket
rainbow umbrella and rain boots
Radio Flyer little red wagon and trike
fluffy tu-tu's for babies/toddlers
wooden rocking horse

I am really big on props- I think because most of my portrait training was in a studio that was prop-orientated. Plus, it gives you something 'extra' to differentiate yourself from other people in the market

eta: my ABC wooden blocks, I use those constantly!!
booboo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby booboo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:42 pm

NO WICKER BASKETS :omg: must be the huge rage in the US then, because you can buy them practically everywhere here. Not only at the resale places, but department stores, grocery stores (the ones that sell clothes and household items), Walmart.... and remember, you can always shop online!
booboo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby booboo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:17 am

hmmmm... garage sales maybe?

I went yesterday and found:
a large mirror with a beveled edge (great for all ages)

a round wood/stick wreath that sort of resembles a bird nest (not sure what I am going to do with this, but it was cheap and 'masculine')

another great old fashioned wicker basket, with leather handles, looks like a trunk

some fake 'old fashioned' books

a ceramic tea set (child size), very cute!

lots of free bead necklaces

and a large cooking pot!

all within my $20 budget! :wiggle: Emma had a $1 budget and she bought herself some Disney princess slippers 8)
booboo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby TXlonghorn » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:10 am

I would invest in a real reflector--a windshield one will give the babies faces a very mottled and unattractive look. It will also mess with your color balance. I know it seems like you are spending a lot, but maybe you can rent a reflector from a local camera shop or something?
Kristen (me) ~ 28 | DH ~ 31
BFP 2/21/08 on 7th cycle of Clomid
Michael "Mr. M" was born 10/28/08! :babyb:
Surprise BFP on 4/4/09! Bradley "Boo Radley"
was born 11/20/09
TXlonghorn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs