First Maternity Shoot

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

First Maternity Shoot

Postby SlainteMhath » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:37 pm

So, I'm just building up a portfolio right now, no real rush to start a business. I'm having a lot of fun setting up free shoots for friends.

Anyway, I just wanted to get some feedback from everyone on my photos. There are more, but I haven't finished going through all of them yet.

Ignore my dorky logo. :wink: I'm trying to make my photos look a bit more professional on Flickr, but haven't had a proper logo made. I created it in Photoshop.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10816930@N ... 6707422878

ETA: I know I need to photoshop the hair ties off of her wrist! I didn't even notice them when I was taking her pictures and would have requested she take them off if I had. :)
[ImageImageImage
SlainteMhath
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ahavati » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:54 pm

I think they are Beautiful!
Cassandra - Mama to Anthony, Ephram, Avalea, Chaiya, Elijah and Samuel

Active DVT at 11 weeks 9/2013
Ahavati
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SlainteMhath » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:03 pm

Any critiques? I'm pretty sure I've seen your photos before, and if I'm recalling correctly, they're pretty darn good. I'll be shooting my brother and his family (that sounds really morbid, LOL) most likely this weekend and would love some pointers!
[ImageImageImage
SlainteMhath
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ahavati » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:17 pm

The only thing i noticed was post-editing things. Like they could use a slight bit more contrast. BUT some that is some people's style. Bu you have nice composition and I LOVE candid stuff!! The one with the little girl's feet is really pretty too! I would adjust the contrast a little and maybe brighten the eyes of the little girl, make them sparkle! Other than that you are doing great! can;t wait to see more!

How did your client like them?

Ahavati
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SlainteMhath » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:26 pm

Thanks! Actually, I really like a lot of contrast, so I think that is a great suggestion. I just worry about going overboard. Not that my husband is an expert, but he always has something negative to say it seems and he has made comments before about the contrast. :mad: Guess I should go with my gut! :wink:

DH's first response to the photos was not, "wow, those look nice." He said "WHAT is she wearing?" :roll: He didn't realize her shirt was pulled up and thought she was wearing some kind of crop top. But his initial reaction had nothing to do with my photography skills. Drives me crazy!

My friend (the "client") has not even seen them yet. I took the photos of her and she's not been home to get online. I am DYING for her to look at them. I think she is going to be happy... fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the tips! I am going to go back into Photoshop and play around a little more with the photos.
[ImageImageImage
SlainteMhath
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SlainteMhath » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:28 pm

cassb wrote:brighten the eyes of the little girl, make them sparkle!

Any tips besides the dodge tool on how to achieve this? I have a couple actions that are supposed to do this, but they don't seem to help all that much. I have CS2.
[ImageImageImage
SlainteMhath
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby annabugsmommy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:41 pm

Those are GREAT! I can't wait to hear what your friend has to say about them! Absolutely beautiful.

Here's a trick I do for eyes that need a little popping:

In Photoshop:

1 - duplicate layer
2 - set layer mode to "screen"
3 - on that layer, click alt + add layer mask to creat an inverse mask (this mask will be black whereas normal layer masks are white)
4 - select your brush tool and make sure brush color is set to white.
5 - set your brush opacity and flow both to about 20% and paint colored part of eyes as needed to lighten/brighten them.
6 - adjust your layer opacity to taste to tone them down a bit or to the point that they looked brightened but not overdone

:)
annabugs mommy With God, ALL things are possible. His blessings are endless.

Image Image Image Image
Anna Bugs - 7
Tripp - 4
Isla - 5 months
annabugsmommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SlainteMhath » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:46 pm

annabugsmommy wrote:Those are GREAT! I can't wait to hear what your friend has to say about them! Absolutely beautiful.

Here's a trick I do for eyes that need a little popping:

In Photoshop:

1 - duplicate layer
2 - set layer mode to "screen"
3 - on that layer, click alt + add layer mask to creat an inverse mask (this mask will be black whereas normal layer masks are white)
4 - select your brush tool and make sure brush color is set to white.
5 - set your brush opacity and flow both to about 20% and paint colored part of eyes as needed to lighten/brighten them.
6 - adjust your layer opacity to taste to tone them down a bit or to the point that they looked brightened but not overdone

:)

Thank you so much! I will try that in just a moment.

I just finished utilizing one of my actions (I don't think I was using it properly before). This is probably overkill, but here are the results...

Original

Edited using action
[ImageImageImage
SlainteMhath
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SlainteMhath » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:47 pm

Are her eyes bright enough, or do you think they should be brighter?

Thanks again for both of your input. I really appreciate it. As I've said before Annabugsmommy, I think your photos are absolutely gorgeous!
[ImageImageImage
SlainteMhath
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby annabugsmommy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:55 pm

Ami, thanks :)

First of all, I'm in LOVE with the softness in this pic. What lens are you using? Nifty 50? Looks like something with low app. I think her eyes are beautiful in the second pic. But, whatever action it was created a few highlight blowouts on her face, IMO. Try the eye pop I gave you on the original picture along with this to brighten up the pic a bit....

duplicate layer again, then set that layer mode to "linear dogde" with the layer opacity at about 8. Adjust it acordingly but that normally gives a soft overall brightening to pics like this.

Again, I LOVE this picture!!!
annabugs mommy With God, ALL things are possible. His blessings are endless.

Image Image Image Image
Anna Bugs - 7
Tripp - 4
Isla - 5 months
annabugsmommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SlainteMhath » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:04 pm

Okay, I'm going to go try your way right now! So long as the babies keep napping... :wink:
[ImageImageImage
SlainteMhath
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SlainteMhath » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:15 pm

Okay, here it is

Better? Does it need more contrast? Are the eyes too light?

Sorry, guys! I'm just trying to learn as much as possible here while still going off of my own "feel."
[ImageImageImage
SlainteMhath
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SlainteMhath » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:28 pm

annabugsmommy wrote:Nifty 50?

Yes! :)
[ImageImageImage
SlainteMhath
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ahavati » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:47 pm

Her eyes look great! I love the 50!! Did you use it for the whole shoot? Did you take the pic of your baby in your sig? I LOVE the eyes and the contrast in that one! Absolutely perfect! It just takes practice. Google photoshop tutorials and find the ones you like and just practice, practice, practice! Can't wait to hear how your friend likes them!!

Ahavati
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SlainteMhath » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:51 pm

Yes, I used the 50 for the whole shoot! I should have pulled out my 55-200 for a couple of them, but we were in the moment, so I didn't want to change lenses.

I can't remember what I used for the pic in my siggy, but I think it was the kit lens (18-55) and then, of course, it is heavily Photoshopped!
[ImageImageImage
SlainteMhath
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs