Canon PowerShot - pics always blurry

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Canon PowerShot - pics always blurry

Postby Quinn » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi ladies. I have scanned some posts here and would love to be able to take better pictures, but I guess as a newbie, my question is do I need a better camera or just better skills (or can this be improved by editing)? Seems that anything I take with my PowerShot has that "shaky" red icon flashing and seems blurry. I used the P setting in this pic, and it seems like it focused on the grass and not the baby. I honestly tried to sit down with the manual one night, but was totally overwhelmed. I was proud of myself for at least venturing outside of the "Auto" setting. :oops: :roll: Any easy tips for a real dummy? I'd like to be able to take something nice enough to upload for a Christmas card, but I'm considering having something professional done because my pics are terrible. TIA so much!

Me~32, DH~34
BFP naturally Sept '06 - m/c 6 wks
TTC with IVF/ICSI/PGD only due to cancer-linked genetic mutation
IVF cycle #1 (5/07) - BFP! - DS born 2/16/08
IVF cycle #2 (9/09), #3 (1/10), #4 (2/10) & #5 (4/10) - all failed (m/c, no transfers, BFN)
FET cycle #1 (5/10) - BFP! - DD born 2/1/11

Quinn
Star Member
Star Member

Postby booboo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:54 pm

hello!!

hmm, I'm not very familiar with the powershot, but I am going to do my best to help you!

The first thing I noticed is that the grass is in focus, so this is not a problem with the shutter speed (if it was, the entire pic would be blurry). My best guess is that your auto focus is choosing the wrong place in the picture to focus, or that you have a moving target (MOVING TARGET!!)..... lol, I have this issue all the time when I am chasing my kids! I am not sure on the powershot if there are different auto focus selections, or if you are stuck with just one? I would take your camera and manual to a local photography store (even Kits/Ritz camera in the mall), and see if they can help explain/adjust your autofocus. If your camera offers different settings, the employee should be able to adjust it after reviewing the manual.

Good luck!! Keep posting with us, I love all the photography newbies we have!
booboo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SlainteMhath » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:11 pm

booboo wrote:The first thing I noticed is that the grass is in focus, so this is not a problem with the shutter speed (if it was, the entire pic would be blurry). My best guess is that your auto focus is choosing the wrong place in the picture to focus, or that you have a moving target (MOVING TARGET!!)..... lol,

Yes, this would be my best guess as well!!
[ImageImageImage
SlainteMhath
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Quinn » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:54 am

Great, thank you! Yes there is only one "auto" setting, but in this case I was using the portrait setting, which is different, I think? I ventured outside of auto because I seemed to have the same problem with auto.

Also, in the photography world, is the Canon Powershot pretty crappy? I can't even remember how much I paid for it.
Me~32, DH~34
BFP naturally Sept '06 - m/c 6 wks
TTC with IVF/ICSI/PGD only due to cancer-linked genetic mutation
IVF cycle #1 (5/07) - BFP! - DS born 2/16/08
IVF cycle #2 (9/09), #3 (1/10), #4 (2/10) & #5 (4/10) - all failed (m/c, no transfers, BFN)
FET cycle #1 (5/10) - BFP! - DD born 2/1/11

Quinn
Star Member
Star Member

Postby AmandaP » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:21 pm

anything by Canon is pretty crappy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JUST KIDDING, I actually loved my powershot S80. It just lacked the durability I needed. The actual camera and glass were very nice.

I agree with erica about the focus. Look in your manual to see if there is a way to manually focus or center focus. Auto modes tend to pick several spots to focus on and its so hard to get them to focus on the face if there is little contrast.

he's a cutie though! :D
Image Image
Check out the new site!: www.aprincephoto.com
AmandaP
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ToniSeve21 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:45 am

lolx.. anyone know how much price Canon Power Shot A4000
ToniSeve21

Re: Canon PowerShot - pics always blurry

Postby kamialmas » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:01 am

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING, THERE WILL BE NOT ANOTHER LIKE YOU