Christian mommy group

Start a buddy group of like-minded mommies or reconnect with your old due-date friends here. This board is for buddy groups only. Thanks!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby Kimber » Wed May 19, 2010 2:47 pm

how many kids? 4
what church/denomination? Baptist
sahm or working? SAHM
what's your biggest struggle as a Christian mom? Morals....Where have they gone? :?
Mom to 4 and Wife to Chad Edward
DS1: 11
DD: 10
DS2: 4
DS3: 2
Kimber
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kimber » Wed May 19, 2010 2:48 pm

BeccaM wrote:I'm Rebecca, living in Oklahoma, married for 1 1/2 years. Pregnant with my first (yay!). We belong to a non denominational, Spirit filled church. I am a stay at home housewife now, and will continue to stay at home as our family grows. I haven't had too many struggles as a mom yet, being only 14 weeks pregnant :). But there are always challenges in big life changes, so we are facing the change of having a third little person as part of our family, and seeking the Lord as to how He would have us prepare for our baby.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Where at in Oklahoma? We are in Blanchard.
Kimber
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blessed03 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:46 pm

hello! im Lori, I have 2 kids (Lord willing, we are done)..;)
I am a SAHM but am looking into going back to school next fall.
i am non-denom.
biggest struggle as a christian: trying to represent Christ and being in the world, not of the world.

Nice to meet you all!
Me: 26
DH:28
DD:8
DS: 3
blessed03
Angel
Angel

Re: Christian mommy group

Postby dee12h » Wed May 19, 2010 6:32 pm

MrsLewis907 wrote:
dee12h wrote:I really just think that school (even private) is not geared toward little boys (2nd grade & under). JMO. What does your DH think of it, Ashli?

Why do you think this? And why just boys? I've never heard such a thing, and am just curious.

Just from my experience as a teacher, and it's also in Bringing up Boys by James Dobson. Boys are active, mobile; they want to act and do, not sit and listen, kwim? This is one reason ADD is overdiagnosed IMO. Girls tend to do better (although not all) bc they aren't as active and are usually much more auditory (less visual & kinesthetic) and enjoy that kind of thing (sitting & drawing & doing crafts, etc.) My mom taught 1st grade and only had 5 boys in her class. They would take a break outside after EVERY subject. She said that's just what they needed. Most schools of course, don't have time for this. Her students scored above average on the standardized tests also. As a teacher, I always let my boys stand up to do their work as long as they would do it. (5th grade) Yet when I taught Pre-K, I could hear the K teacher down the hall chanting "tummy touch". Their tummies had to touch the table in front of them at all times. I could just SEE it was such a struggle for them. Self control is great, but too much of this IMO eventually can turn them off of school. And the tragedy is it could last the rest of their lives.

WOW, didn't mean for this to be so long. Hope that makes sense. :)
Last edited by dee12h on Wed May 19, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" -Frederick Douglass
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dee12h » Wed May 19, 2010 6:40 pm

Ashli- forgot to say I am also wondering how stressful it would be to HS. I always assumed I would want to, but kids are so much work. :) How would I handle it with 3+ kids?? I don't handle a lot of stress well. But I guess my background in teaching would help.

sprite- yeah I know garland! I have family in the dallas area. congrats on your pregnancy! hope everything goes well for you.
"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" -Frederick Douglass
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Thu May 20, 2010 7:58 am

Kimber wrote:
BeccaM wrote:I'm Rebecca, living in Oklahoma, married for 1 1/2 years. Pregnant with my first (yay!). We belong to a non denominational, Spirit filled church. I am a stay at home housewife now, and will continue to stay at home as our family grows. I haven't had too many struggles as a mom yet, being only 14 weeks pregnant :). But there are always challenges in big life changes, so we are facing the change of having a third little person as part of our family, and seeking the Lord as to how He would have us prepare for our baby.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Where at in Oklahoma? We are in Blanchard.

We're in Norman, but planning a move back to Maine, where I'm originally from (I moved out here when I married DH--he's from Norman).

All this homeschool talk is very interesting to me, since I was homeschooled myself. I can't say enough for it. In fact, with our personal beliefs, I just don't know if I could send my kids to public school any more. It seems the influences and the peer pressure there get worse and worse, not to mention the totally humanist point of view that the standardized curriculum comes from. A Christian school would be an option, but they can get expensive! Both my DH and I were homeschooled, and it's not so bad :) ... if the families can find a support group of others who are homeschooling and can get ideas from them, it can be an enjoyable experience! Just takes time and commitment.

I am hoping and praying that I will have the strength and commitment to be able to homeschool our kids (and I know DH will help out, too).
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kimber » Thu May 20, 2010 8:37 am

Your not far from me! What a small world!

Yes, we have gone back and forth on homeschooling and I am so intimated by it. :oops:

I am amazed how kids talk or what they are allowed to do these days. My 1st ds came home a month of so ago and asked what birth control was. I guess a little girl was bragging that her mom was gonna put her on birth control when she turn 13. 8O She is only in 5th grade. Scary!

I would only have to homeschool my oldest who is going into 6th grade and my dd who will be in 3rd. I have never really though about private school because of the cost.
Kimber
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blessed03 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:52 am

We send dd to a small private school that our church is very much involved in. we love it! the classes are very small so there is lots of individual attention the cirriculum is Christ centered and the teachers are wonderful and truly love what they do and the children they teach! They also encourage parent interaction and work very closely with parents which is a plus.
dh and i struggled for a while deciding whether or not to homeschool or not. we finaly decided that with dd being much older then our ds that ds would take alot of attention away for dd- does that make sense? i was afraid that i couldnt do it. private school is a sacrafice financialy but well worth it for us :D

dee- I have been eyeballing those books (raising boys/girls) by james dobson, is it something you would recommend? I do enjoy james dobsons teachings.

also for those of you with older children- do you do devotionals? Im looking for one for a 6/7 year old. we are also currently taking care of my 12 year old neice until i dont know when (this situation needs some prayer please) and would like to her to be apart of devotion time as well..so maybe something that can appeal to an older child as well.
thanks!

sorry for the lack of caps.. my ds ripped my shift key off- yah, thanks noah- lol :?
Me: 26
DH:28
DD:8
DS: 3
blessed03
Angel
Angel

Postby Psalm139 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:46 am

I have a question for you ladies. Do you have a family bible study time and if so, how/when do you do it? We go to church twice a week and pray at meals but we don't read the bible together. I've always thought it would be neat to have a designated family bible time like at dinner or something. Also, how do you foster individual relationships in your children? My oldest is 9 and reads the bible but my younger two cannot read. Does anyone use bedtime bibles.

Lol this has me on a roll but what about "exposure" to the secular world. Do you allow tv and movies? If so, where is the cut off? I knew a family who threw out the tv and only listened to Christian radio and NPR. I personally don't like to watch anything over PG 13 rating (just not interested in the crap in rated R stuff) and the kids watch Qubo. It is a tv channel that has kids stuff like Veggie Tales, The book of Vertues, and educational shows. They also watch kids movies on Netflix. It is kind of a hard balance because my husband is a Christian but you wouldn't know it. He goes to church but it is like nothing he hears every applies to his daily life. He listens to heavy metal/rock music which I have dubbed his "satanic screaming music". He watches rated R movies, never reads the bible, etc so it makes it hard to have the type of faith based environment that I want in my home. There is a reason why the man is supposed to be the spiritual leader. The home is greatly lacking without everyone being on the same page.
"If there were no schools to take the children away from home part of the time, the insane asylum would be filled with mothers."
~Edgar Watson Howe
Formerly Tinyfairypeople
Psalm139
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dee12h » Thu May 20, 2010 6:55 pm

blessed03 wrote:
dee- I have been eyeballing those books (raising boys/girls) by james dobson, is it something you would recommend? I do enjoy james dobsons teachings.

The on raising boys is pretty good. A better one, IMO is Wild at Heat by John Eldridge. LOVE that book, and he is such a good author. He & his wife also wrote one about women. It's not really a parenting book, but helps you understand all the males in your life, but I think it does help a lot in parenting boys. I haven't read the Dobson one about girls.
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kimber » Thu May 20, 2010 7:32 pm

blessed: I got children devotionals from Mardel's. Do you have one of those? They have all ages for male of female. I got one for both of my kids and they do a devotional lesson during quite time before bed. It is structured for things they would face as a boy or girl at that certain age. This is our second set to go through. Also, I bet they would have some tween ones for your niece.

Tiny: We don't have family bible time and also bothers me. I'm the kinda person who likes to follow bible studies. It's more structured for me and my ADD :lol: I have done one Beth Moore studies for woman and LOVED it. We just moved 40 minutes from our home church and now are looking at churches closer to us and for our children can be with their peers but we are going from a church with thousands to maybe 200. My dh does read the bible to the kids once and awhile or anytime they ask and he will just open the bible up and what he lands on is what they talk about. I also agree with the movies,tv, and radio. Our kids are only allowed to watch G and PG movies but some PG movies are questionable. Commercials amaze me most of the time these days. Like when we are watching a football game and then some sexual commercial comes on. :x We listen to K-Love or Air 1 which are Christian stations in the car. My kids have Christian bands/singers on their I-Pods. My dh has a real problem with Christian music like not in a bad way but he says it's boring with no great beat etc. He is more of an underground kind of guy but he is very selective on what he does listen to. He listens more for the Lyrics too.
Kimber
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kimber » Thu May 20, 2010 7:33 pm

Sorry it wouldn't take all of this in one post!

Dee: I have had that book 2 plus years and just need to find some time to sit down and read it. I have heard great reviews from it. Boys are way different from girls.

Do you guys attend bible study? Do you have quite time with the bible? Here lately I have come to a point in my life that the term denomination drives me crazy. We go to a Baptist Church but I believe the rules that God has laid upon us not the rules a church makes. Am I wrong on this? I have only been a believer since 2003 and still struggle with day to day habits that I work on breaking. I did not grow up in church and I actually didn't believe in God until I had my 1st ds. Sorry, I totally just threw up on you guys! :wink: I'm glad this thread has started. :D
Kimber
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Fri May 21, 2010 7:49 am

Kimber--You make some good points! I love my church a lot. It's Spirit filled, non denominational and very family oriented. I don't know much about denominational churches, because I never went to one. I've been raised in this church with similar teachings since I was a baby. i do agree that I don't like how in many standard churches, there seem to be things that come up that are more legalism than Bible based, if you know what I mean... but I never like to judge any church or any Christian, because I know that people don't have to believe exactly as I do to have a relationship with God and to love Him!

P.S. We sometimes listen to KLove, too! DH and I like the Oasis network sometimes. I mostly listen to CD's. We really prefer worship music over simply Christian music. I'd rather listen to people worshiping and praising God, rather than singing about various other things. Just my opinion, though :). I absolutely LOVE Robin Mark--Irish music rocks! (I started playing the Irish whistle myself, from listening to his worship music.)

I have to run!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kimber » Fri May 21, 2010 10:45 am

BeccaM wrote:Kimber--You make some good points! I love my church a lot. It's Spirit filled, non denominational and very family oriented. I don't know much about denominational churches, because I never went to one. I've been raised in this church with similar teachings since I was a baby. i do agree that I don't like how in many standard churches, there seem to be things that come up that are more legalism than Bible based, if you know what I mean... but I never like to judge any church or any Christian, because I know that people don't have to believe exactly as I do to have a relationship with God and to love Him!

I'm sorry if my post seemed judgemental. It wasn't at all it is more of a battle inside myself lately. Sorry! :D
Kimber
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby katiejo » Sun May 23, 2010 6:54 am

:hi: Can i join you ladies?
I'm Katie & i'm a SAHM living in Oklahoma. As of yesterday i have 3 little boys - John is 5 1/2, Nate is almost 3 & Gabe is my new little nursling. :hb: DH & i have been married for almost 7 years, but we've been together for 17 years. We are both Baptist.
Biggest struggle as a Christian mom...that's a tough one. Probably the fact that so many things that were never acceptable when i was growing up is now considered the norm. That & trying to figure out, as a woman, how to raise my boys to be good men. I'm going to check out that John Eldridge book - i have Bringing Up Boys, but i find it a little hard to get into (probably due to time constraints, lol).
Dee, i see what you're saying about school & boys. My oldest son is getting ready to finish up pre-k & he has had a rough year. He's had evaluations done & gotten a tentative diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome (which they are actually pulling away from & considering it more of a sensory integration issue), ADHD & developmental delay. We have noticed HUGE changes over the school year, though, that makes us think that some of the problems are just the fact that he is an active little boy.
Looking forward to getting to know all of you! :D
Cathy (38) :hb: DH (39)
John (Jan. '05) :hb: Nate (June '07) :hb: Gabe (May '10)
katiejo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to MOMMY CIRCLES