Christian mommy group

Start a buddy group of like-minded mommies or reconnect with your old due-date friends here. This board is for buddy groups only. Thanks!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby Psalm139 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:05 pm

katiejo wrote::hi: Can i join you ladies?
I'm Katie & i'm a SAHM living in Oklahoma. As of yesterday i have 3 little boys - John is 5 1/2, Nate is almost 3 & Gabe is my new little nursling. :hb: DH & i have been married for almost 7 years, but we've been together for 17 years. We are both Baptist.
Biggest struggle as a Christian mom...that's a tough one. Probably the fact that so many things that were never acceptable when i was growing up is now considered the norm. That & trying to figure out, as a woman, how to raise my boys to be good men. I'm going to check out that John Eldridge book - i have Bringing Up Boys, but i find it a little hard to get into (probably due to time constraints, lol).
Dee, i see what you're saying about school & boys. My oldest son is getting ready to finish up pre-k & he has had a rough year. He's had evaluations done & gotten a tentative diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome (which they are actually pulling away from & considering it more of a sensory integration issue), ADHD & developmental delay. We have noticed HUGE changes over the school year, though, that makes us think that some of the problems are just the fact that he is an active little boy.
Looking forward to getting to know all of you! :D

Welcome and congrats on your new baby!!! I too am worried about how to raise my boys to be gentlemen in this society. Their dad isn't a good example, as he acts like an 8 year old, so it is going to be hard to show them that even being like their dad isn't how "real" men are supposed to act. I want them to be kind, responsible, considerate, god loving, have good manners, respectful.
"If there were no schools to take the children away from home part of the time, the insane asylum would be filled with mothers."
~Edgar Watson Howe
Formerly Tinyfairypeople
Psalm139
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kimber » Sun May 23, 2010 6:21 pm

Wow! Lots of Okies! :) Welcome Katie!a :D

How was everyone's weekend? Anything fun?
Mom to 4 and Wife to Chad Edward
DS1: 11
DD: 10
DS2: 4
DS3: 2
Kimber
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kimber » Sun May 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Katie: Congratulations on the new baby boy! How exciting!
Kimber
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dee12h » Sun May 23, 2010 9:23 pm

Katie- congrats on the new lo! Hope you are getting some sleep.

My wkend was awesome. Well, today anyway. I slept in til 10:30! then went to Starbucks to read. Felt so good. Thanks to DH watching DS for me. (don't worry, we go to church at night. lol.)

I had a :?: for any of you who are into nutrition or natural things or just being healthy (who isn't :) ). I am leading our small group this week, & it's on nutrition. My question is- How do you connect nutrition/being healthy with your Christian life? Verses would be helpful. Like I want to talk about how God wants us to be healthy, but I want to say more than just that, kwim? Hope that makes sense. thanks.
"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" -Frederick Douglass
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MayBaby » Mon May 24, 2010 7:05 am

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 1 Cor 6:19

Just off the top of my head. Anyone read the bringing up Girls? I adored Wild at Heart, and so did DH. But I have a little girl that I need to begin raising up right.

And congrats, Katie! Hope everything is going well.
Me, Jessika age 33
DH, Kevin age 41
Reilly Rose was born 5/12/09 7lbs 10oz

Image Image
MayBaby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kimber » Mon May 24, 2010 7:51 am

Dee: I found this: http://www.mihealthtools.org/faith/HealthScriptures.pdf
Are you doing a certain bible study or just on your own?

Are weekend was uneventful which was nice it was the first time in awhile that we didn't have soccer games. We invited the pastor and his wife over on Friday that we have been attending and it was GREAT! They came over at 6:30 pm and didn't leave until 9:45 pm. I am really excited that we have finally found a church that we are both excited about where it is going and serving in. :) It's been a long year and can tell what we have been missing...fellowship! Summer started today for my older kids and I am really excited! I think we were all ready for school to be out!
Kimber
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Mon May 24, 2010 12:00 pm

Hello to all of you ladies! I forgot to check in here :oops: .

Tiny--to answer your question, my DH and I read the Bible together sometimes. We are often reading it at the same time, but different Bibles. Then we might discuss what we read. We do try to pray together every night for at least a few minutes, to talk to God about our day and pray for people that need it. I like the adage, "Families that pray together, stay together!" :) I do feel for you, it sounds like you are in a difficult place with your husband spiritually weaker. Yet have hope that God can work good things through this though, if you can stay in the Word and in fellowship and remain (as Paul says in his letters) as respectful and kind and loving to him as possible! (I am going through a "discipleship" session on husband and wife relationships, and it's really helping me, even though we don't really have any problems. It helps me understand my husband better.)

Dee--Hmmm, I never really did a Bible verse study on the spiritual reasons for being healthy, but that sounds interesting. It just makes sense to me, as a Christian, to try to do the best for my body that I can! Part of loving what God has created is taking care of it to the best of our ability, IMO!

KatieJo--Welcome and congratulations! I can't wait until our little girl or boy is born--I am so excited. We are in OK too!

Kimber--Your post didn't seem judgmental at all, I just wanted you (and everyone) to know that I still can respect you all even if you don't believe exactly as I do! :) )

The Lord has been showing me lately a lot about family order. I feel so bad when I hear things broken down families, rebellious children, men and fathers who don't take headship and women/mothers who are strongly feminist and put their careers way before their families, etc... I just know God has a better plan for their lives! Why are some people so striving after money and "stuff" rather than focusing their lives more on their families? It just saddens me. I am so glad that God has given me the opportunity to stay home with our kids, and also the teaching in our fellowship that puts so much of a stress on strong families. How do people make it without faith in God? :)
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:43 am

Anyone around? :)
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kimber » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:26 pm

:lol: I was thinking the same thing! Maybe we could take turns with a topic every few days etc. Any ideas?
Kimber
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dee12h » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:01 pm

I've been thinking of this too. Will let you know if I come up w/ anything. :)

Meanwhile, if you know of anyone on here who is a Christian, maybe PM them to let them know about this thread. :)
"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" -Frederick Douglass
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Psalm139 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:41 am

I have a question for you all that has been weighing heavy on me lately. When and how do you plan to have the big sex talk with your kids? My daughter is starting 4th grade and turning 10 in december. I know some girls start their periods that young (I was 13 but i would say like 90 percent of the girls I went to school with were 11 when they started). I think that I need to do the period talk this next school year. Just explain to her what it is and why it happens, show her how to use pads, etc. I think the sex talk needs to happen in 6th grade and I wish there was some way I could tell her about it without destroying her innocence. I also want it to be from a godly stand point. I want her to truly understand the will of God in this matter and why its so important to wait until marriage. My parents never told me what the bible had to say. They just said it was bad. So growing up in an agnostic household with no clear reason as to why I shouldnt do it, I became sexually active at a very young age. Having experienced the damage from that and then later feeling the conflict in my marriage (I wished that my husband and I both had saved ourselves for each other), I want to save her from those issues as well.
"If there were no schools to take the children away from home part of the time, the insane asylum would be filled with mothers."
~Edgar Watson Howe
Formerly Tinyfairypeople
Psalm139
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MightyMarj » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:19 am

Hi ladies,
I just found this thread!
My name is Marj, and DH is Ryan. We have 2 kiddos, ages below. We go to a church called Eleven Seven Church. It's named after Hebrews 11:7, a verse about living by faith. It's a non-denominational church. I grew up going to a Presbyterian church that had a lot of Wycliff affiliated members (Bible translating missionaries), and DH was not raised with religion at all and was just saved & baptised 3 years ago. It's been amazing seeing him transform into the spiritual leader of our household. God is so good!

Right now I'm doing Beth Moore's Breaking Free study with our small group, and it's really been making me think about the spiritual legacy I want to leave for my children and future generations. So far, with our oldest only being 2 (today is his b-day!), we pray at meals and at bed-time. I ask him who he wants to pray for, which is usually just Daddy and Sissy. He also comes with us to small group and goes to children's church.

When they get older, I want to do a family bible study / prayer time.

As for tiny's question, I'm dreading this stage! We did not wait until marriage, nor was my husband even my first, and I want so much better for our kids! I think I will just be honest and tell them the reasons why I wish I had waited and the reasons God wants us to wait. MayBaby, that verse in 1 Cor would go perfectly for this, too. I always write that in baby shower cards as a prayer that their baby will remain pure until marriage.
Me: 34 DH: 38 DS: Colvin, 6 DD: Georgia, 4 DD: Ella, 4, from Russia
Baby #4 c-section scheduled for July 28!
:angel: Aug 2012 at 5 wks 3 days

Adoption story http://aplantingforhisglory.blogspot.com//, Love fabric? http://www.etsy.com/shop/mightymarj
MightyMarj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Gray123 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi ladies,
I'm Gray (37) DH (42). We have been married for almost 6 years. We have two daughters, Sofia-26 months and Giuliana-11 months. We are both Christians and love attending church together. We pray together as a couple every night and also read the scriptures together nightly as well. I feel blessed to have met such a great man of God to spend eternity with.
We want to have another baby soon and will probably start trying next month. So here's to a new baby, if it's the Lord's will. It will be crazy having three little ones, but we are ready...

Gray
[ImageImage
Gray123
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby dee12h » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:48 pm

Just want to say I'm sorry I haven't posted here in awhile. I let all the other drama take up my time. :oops:

tiny- I think it's great you're thinking about all this now. My son is so young that I haven't thought about it yet, but I'm sure there are books on it from a Christian perspective. I'm sure you'll do great. I def don't think 10 is too young these days, unfortunately.

Marj- Thanks for joining! I did that study a few yrs ago & loved it. That's so encouraging to hear about your husband.

Gray- Welcome! You guys are def in a minority to be praying & reading the Bible together every night. It's a hard habit to get into. How did you start it, or have you been doing it since the beginning? We go in & out, start up, & then forget again.
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dee12h » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:52 pm

So I wanted to start something to keep this going if it's cool. Like a "question of the week" to discuss. Of course, anything else that comes up is always welcome as well! :)

Question of the week:
What do you think about husband/wife roles? Like submission/leadership, etc. Not so much theoretically, but more how does that look for you in day to day life? Or if it's not how you'd wish, how do you want it to look in day to day life?

This is something I've really been struggling with. I had it all figured out b4 I got married. LOL! :)
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to MOMMY CIRCLES