Christian mommy group

Start a buddy group of like-minded mommies or reconnect with your old due-date friends here. This board is for buddy groups only. Thanks!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby orionslight » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:40 am

katiejo- my sn noah (the one i HS) has aspergers also, and for him i think the HS helps. sometimes the school just doesnt know how to deal with him or his behavior, and it was much more stressful for me to get calls all the time saying*noah did this, or noah did that* and he just wasnt learning as well. i chose to HS him since itdidnt seem him beiing in school and in trouble all the time was benefiting anyone. and he hasmadeHUGE strides and i am so pleased. we do some field trips tomuseums and zoos and such, and i have work here for himto do, as well as incorporating math into shopping for groceries and such. sometimes i do miss the break of him going to school but all in all it is great. congratz on the baby btw!!
Baby Ireland born 4-18-14 healthy and happy :)

Joining her 11 brothers and sisters
Loss July 2015@ 11+3, girl
Loss June 2016@ 13+5,boy
orionslight
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby carebear7951 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 pm

Katie-some days you would hate it. honestly. but the overall benefit is worth it. And in all honestly, I would HATE having to get my kids up and ready for school...and then get there on time to pick them up. Another great benefit is that I don't have to schedule our vacations around some arbitrary schedule. :) (I'm not saying that public school is not great for some people or criticizing those who use it...just saying...) Those are just some of the reasons I like homeschooling. Also, we do about the same amount of work that most of their peers report bringing home in the evenings- 2-4 hours...but we do it in the morning. It doesn't interfere with dinner, sports, church, bath...etc etc! :)
But, I don't have kids with any special learning needs (so far)...so I think that if the school is helping you with his education using resources you don't have at home...then that's awesome!
carebear7951
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Christian mommy group

Postby stefanielynn » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:18 am

Hi all, do you mind if I join?

how many kids? I have one son, and (hopefully!!!!) one on the way

what church/denomination? I go to Manna Church in Fayetteville, a non-denominational Christian church (love it!!)

sahm or working? SAHM!

what's your biggest struggle as a Christian mom? My biggest struggle is that the hubby and I are new to this--we just joined our first church about 2 1/2 years ago. Neither of us grew up knowing God or going to church, so we're learning as we go. We are really unsure about how to raise children in a Christian home since neither of us have experienced it first hand. :(
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby carebear7951 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:40 am

Welcome Stefanie! Congrats on your pregnancy! I wasn't raised in a Christian home either...although I have been a Christian for a long time...it is hard to know how to bring the kids up that way when you haven't experienced it, huh? I never thought of that being a reason why I struggle some to figure out how/when to do devotionals as a family, etc! You are not alone! :)
carebear7951
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby stefanielynn » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:01 am

Just got a chance to read through the entire thread--some fascinating conversation! i love it!

We have been talking a lot about homeschooling. My husband is Air Force so we don't have a lot of say about the areas we move to. Our current city does not have a good school system. DS will be going to preschool on base starting in September, but only for 3 hours two days a week. It's pretty much just so that he can start getting some structure and also a chance for him to be around other children, which he loves. I struggle with my ability to home school him, but I agree with a lot of what was said about boys and public school. Schools just really aren't equipped to handle boys and their energy, and now with PE and recess being cut, I really worry. We've already decided we will wait until he's 6 to start him in school (he'll either be newly 5 or newly 6 based on his birthday), but homeschooling is really something we're starting to take more seriously. Of course I wasn't homeschooled and I don't know anyone who was, so it's a struggle!

Question of the week: Oh, the roles! As I said, we are very new in our Christian journey. We actually had a lot of problems in our marriage (we've been married 7 years now), and once we decided to make a change, go to church, and put God first our relationship shifted. It's been pretty incredible how drastic the change has been. I kind of fear for a society as a whole now that we are getting away from men being the leaders of the family. As women, we're trying to be the husband and the wife, and we're leaving our husbands not knowing what their role is. We expect them to take care of "manly" duties, but then we also expect them to be more feminine in other aspects. For me, it's been very encouraging to remind myself when I'm doing something that I don't want to (laundry, for example!) that I am fulfilling the role God wants for me by keeping our household running. By doing the laundry and the cleaning and the cooking, I am freeing my husband's time so he can work (allowing me to be home), and he can focus on being the husband and the father we need him to be.

Since we're new to this, we're really having to learn from scratch. We don't really know how to pray together, we don't spend as much time in our Bibles as we should, and our son isn't being taught as much as he needs to be. It's something we have to consciously think of and make ourselves do. We're both participating in small groups at our church which is a new experience, but it's been incredibly helpful. I don't know how I would get by without my supportive girls. :wink:

As far as breakfast, my son doesn't like much. He likes bacon, which we limit. He likes pancakes which, again, we limit. So we often have cereal or toast with some fruit. Thankfully we are pretty healthy eaters and our fridge is full of "healthy" choices. So our son has grown up loving fruit and yogurt and cottage cheese and things like that. I figure with the amount of time I spend on lunch and dinner, I deserve a "pass" on breakfast when I'm still half asleep, as long as he's getting something nutritious in his belly. :P
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blessed03 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:47 am

Hey all! I havent been reading up so forgive me for just jumping in.... but i would like to join back up again!

Hopefully we will get jumping again :)

Anyways- Im Lori (24), married my highschool sweatheart 7 years ago. We have 2 chidren: Ana 6 years, Noah 15 months and Lord willing that is our completed family. I am a non-denominational Christian who is active in childrens ministries in our church which I looooove. And that about sums up me for now. Looking forward to getting to know you all :)
Me: 26
DH:28
DD:8
DS: 3
blessed03
Angel
Angel

Postby orionslight » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:44 pm

HI and welcoe stefanielynn and lori!!
Baby Ireland born 4-18-14 healthy and happy :)

Joining her 11 brothers and sisters
Loss July 2015@ 11+3, girl
Loss June 2016@ 13+5,boy
orionslight
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ahavati » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:08 pm

Hey guys! We finally have internet up and running in the new house.

carebear7951 wrote::hi: Cassandra-forgive my ignorance, but what is a "messianic believer"? I googled it before asking and it appears to be a person who is Jewish but believes in Jesus as the savior?? If I'm wrong I hope you'll enlighten me! :D

Well, the person IMO does not have to be jewish. I'm not. My girls/DH aren't but the boys are. (they are from my ex-h). BUt we basically follow all the commandments and festivals and keep Sabbath but believe that Y'shua is the Messiah. But we do not believe that He replaced the Old Testament Covenants.

Homeschooling: We love it here. I was homeschooled as a kid. We were using Lifepacs for awhile but this year we switched it up and are doing a lot of different curriculum together. My DS is suspected Asbergers and he needs individual attention. He gets very easily distracted but he is super smart! I don't find it hard. I love that we are done by lunch, we don't have to plan our events around school etc. And I can work our curriculum around what we want to focus on.

Roles: In our home my DH is the leader. We generally talk out big decisions and such but he has the ultimate say of what happens. He does take my feelings/thoughts into consideration but ultimately wants what God wants for us. We try to take the biblical approach of the family dynamic. I hate saying this here but sometimes I feel like things like the feminist movement and others have destroyed the roles God has created. I have no issue with women being in the workforce at ALL. I don't feel that being a wife and mother though is suppressing women. I think it sometimes takes the focus off the family and God and more on what the woman can prove. I know I'm not explaining this well. UGH. Sorry. I've been so busy today I'm scatterbrained lol.

Breakfast: I get up and make breakfast in the mornings. We do cereal and quick stuff maybe once or twice a week. Now I didn't used to do this. For awhile (mostly when I was PG) I went through a very difficult time being depressed and just not a good wife/mother at all and I never cooked breakfast. My kids actually made themselves lunch a lot :oops: and DH would come home from work and make dinner. I have bad PGcies and that helped continue the depression. Anyway, only recently I have started getting up and making them b-fast. I just feel like we make such an effort to have dinner together every night that I should do the same for them during b-fast/lunch. (This is totally just me and my issues here lol)

Oh and my struggles: My main struggle as a mom is how a I going to keep my kids from making my same mistakes. I want them to be pure and be proper gentlemen and ladies per se without being worldly. Since my faith has gotten stronger, I see more that just really upsets me and I struggle with how I am going to deal with it with my children.

We (or rather I) am struggling bad in my faith concerning family size. We don't believe in BC at all. No forms of it. That He will give us as many children as He intended regardless of what we do. Well mentally at this moment I am done with 4 and scared of anymore. To the point that I try to limit DTD with DH because of it. Which then goes into denying my DH. (see major issues lol). But anyway sometimes faith can be easy, but in this situation I am struggling bad.
Cassandra - Mama to Anthony, Ephram, Avalea, Chaiya, Elijah and Samuel

Active DVT at 11 weeks 9/2013
Ahavati
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby carebear7951 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:37 pm

Cassandra-Thanks for the clarification! :) I totally agree with you on the feminist thing. I LIKE being a SAHM and wife. But, in our society it's almost like you feel apologetic about it. Like you're doing something...lesser. :( Thankfully it seems to be turning around to some extent and people are (at least vocally) acknowledging the value of "just" being a SAHM. Family size. Woah. I would seriously struggle with that too. (Especially since you said you have difficult pregnancies and depression related to it) I hope you can find a way to work that out for your family that is inline with your beliefs.

Hi Lori! I think it's great being married to your high school sweetheart! :) We're coming up on 16 years! And I started dating him my senior year.

Hi everyone! Hope y'all are doing well!

Dee-thanks for the list, that is so nice to be able to see everyone at a glance.
carebear7951
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby katiejo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:02 pm

Welcome Stefanielynn & lori!
cassb wrote:Since my faith has gotten stronger, I see more that just really upsets me and I struggle with how I am going to deal with it with my children.

This is something i struggle with as well! I sometimes think that i'm in way over my head with 3 boys!
I see you're from Houston - what part are you in? I grew up just south of Houston & my family is all still there. :)
Cathy (38) :hb: DH (39)
John (Jan. '05) :hb: Nate (June '07) :hb: Gabe (May '10)
katiejo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MightyMarj » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:02 pm

Welcome Stefanie, Lori & Cass! So nice to have you. :D

Cass, I have a question for you. DH's side of the family are Jewish, but pretty much in ancestry only. I don't think any of them go to Temple, and DH certainly never did growing up. So because of his ancestry, and also because they're God's chosen people, I'm very interested.
When you say you still follow the Old Covenant, what do you mean? I believe that Jesus did not overturn the old laws (ie the Ten Commandments), but he did overturn the laws regarding sacrifices because He was the living sacrifice, as well as overturning legalism and man-made laws. So I guess I'm asking: which laws do messianic Jews follow that Christians do not?

It makes me sad that DH's Jewish ancestry is kind of forgotten. He has relatives who died in the holocaust. Following Christ is more important, but sometimes I wonder why Christians don't celebrate more of the old testament festivals, like Purim or hannukah.
Me: 34 DH: 38 DS: Colvin, 6 DD: Georgia, 4 DD: Ella, 4, from Russia
Baby #4 c-section scheduled for July 28!
:angel: Aug 2012 at 5 wks 3 days

Adoption story http://aplantingforhisglory.blogspot.com//, Love fabric? http://www.etsy.com/shop/mightymarj
MightyMarj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:16 am

Cassandra--I totally agree on the feminist thing! That's what I wanted to say but I couldn't find the appropriate way to word it. I have a bachelor's degree, and people treat me like I'm "wasting" it because I choose to be home with my children. Yeah, financially it's tight (especially because we're paying off that bachelor's degree!), but these are moments I will NEVER get back. I just strongly feel that I didn't have my son to allow others to raise him. That's not to say I look down on people who work or anything like that, but before he was born I just knew that working wasn't something I could do, at least not while he's so little and still needs me so much! And it's allowed me to raise him with my values, I know what he's doing 24/7 so I can limit his exposure, and I was able to do things like breastfeed for an extended amount of time. I'm always available when he has a doctor's appointment, if he's not feeling well, if he gets a boo-boo, his first steps...these things are so much more rewarding to me than a paycheck.

I'm also married to my high school sweetheart--seven years in June. We've had our challenges but there is no one else I would have wanted to go through it with. :love:

Question for those of you who were not brought up in religious homes--how does your family handle your newfound religion? How do they react when you talk about God or church or the Bible? How strongly do you share your beliefs with, say, your parents? Just curious.
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MightyMarj » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:20 am

Stefanie, my DH was not raised in a religious home, and it has been awkward at times with his family. For the most part, they have been very gracious and accepting, have even come to church with us several times. It's a fine line because we want to evangelize, we want so desperately for them to have what we have, but we also want to be wise in how we approach them and not alienate them. DH's dad had a Christian science dad and almost died of severe reflux (we think it was reflux - he was vomiting a lot) as an infant because his dad refused to take him to the doctor. So he was turned off to christianity at that point. DH's mom is very, very curious and is asking a lot of questions, which we're very excited about. If you could pray for her, I would really appreciate it. MIL is remarried though, and her new hubby is very much in the 'christianity is for the weak-minded club'. So it would be hard for her to convert and stay in that marriage, KWIM? But I know nothing is impossible for God, so we just keep praying and waiting for any opportunities God gives us. BIL is also very curious but a little more hostile to the idea. BIL and DH were compared a lot growing up with DH held up as the golden child, so I think BIL is automatically set against anything DH is into, so we're especially careful with him.

By the way, I totally agree with pp about feminism casting a negative light on motherhood. I have a degree, but that doesn't mean I am wasting it by caring for my children. Being educated helps me be a better mom than I would have been on my own. Not saying you can't be a good mom if you never went to college, just saying that I know it helped me - made me more responsible and know different teaching techniques even though my degree wasn't in education.

Adoption story http://aplantingforhisglory.blogspot.com//, Love fabric? http://www.etsy.com/shop/mightymarj
MightyMarj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MightyMarj » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:30 am

Also wanted to add that we invite MIL to come to church with us when she's in town, but we don't pressure her. We just say we're going, and she's welcome to join us. Sometimes she does and always ends up crying, says she doesn't know why, but I think it's the Holy Spirit stirring in her heart. Sometimes she doesn't go, and I think it's because she's afraid to feel that again. We don't make a big deal if she wants to stay at home, just pick her up to go to lunch when we're done.

The only issue we've had is MIL's language from time to time, especially using God's name in vain and other cursing in front of the kids. I just said to her that I know she's not doing it to be disrespectful, but could she please be careful around our kids and explained why we don't like hearing God's name in vain. She has made a huge effort in this area. I just don't think she 'heard' it before.

MightyMarj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby carebear7951 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:40 am

Marj-it's sad and disturbing how many people don't realize the power of the name they're using when they take God's name in vain. :( My dad does sometimes too--more when we're not around I know...

My kids invite my dad to church sometimes (my mom was raised in church but doesn't go...my dad was raised in a heathen home :( ) and they worry about him a lot-his salvation. He ALWAYS has an excuse. Except he did go when Nathan (my 7.5 month old) was dedicated. I can tell my mom is uncomfortable when I mention too much about prayer and such. I don't understand why...she's a believer, I know that. Just tries to keep God more "peripheral".
carebear7951
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

PreviousNext

Return to MOMMY CIRCLES