Christian mommy group

Start a buddy group of like-minded mommies or reconnect with your old due-date friends here. This board is for buddy groups only. Thanks!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby BeccaM » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:50 am

Welcome, Stefanie, Cass and Lori!

I'm sorry I don't post here more often. I have been trying to avoid being on the computer and internet so much, but I found myself yesterday getting in a discussion in the OT section :oops:. It was intriguing, though!

I didn't respond to the breakfast question, because I don't have kids yet! I don't know what I'll be doing in a year's time, LOL. I get up every morning with DH and send him off to work with breakfast and a packed lunch. Breakfast isn't always the most exciting. When we get up late (or I'm cranky and tired :) ), he just gets cereal. I try to make him eggs 2 or 3 times a week. We have our own flock of free ranging chickens, and the eggs are really good! I am having trouble fattening up my DH. He's so skinny, and I try to feed him lots of calories and protein, but it isn't working! Wish I had that problem! :D

Stefanie--I was brought up from birth in a Christian home, so I don't have a lot of insight on that. I know that my parents learned to never try to push their faith on their family members ( unless they're ready to hear). In fact, I have heard some people in our church say that when they stopped trying to "evangelize" their family members that didn't know the Lord and just started to build a relationship with them, regardless of their beliefs, that things got so much better between them! It's the Lord that does the drawing and pulling into His kingdom and I personally don't think it's our responsibility to really "push" that unless He would have us to. I hope you know what I mean! :) I can't imagine not having parents that were Christians, but it sounds like you're doing a great job!

Sorry, I probably won't respond to all the questions or topics here, but I did want to ask a question. I am a Spirit filled, non denominational Christian... are there any more on this board, or what do you ladies feel or think about the baptism in the Holy Spirit? I know it has been much maligned in the past, but I think it is because it isn't fully understood or walked in. I know I am different person now that I am learning to walk in God's Kingdom with the help of His Spirit! He says in the Bible that the Spirit is the "helper".
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:09 am

This is all so fascinating. Thank you all so much for sharing your views and your experiences. :)

We don't push anything on our families. We mention that we go to church and that we're involved in small groups, but they don't seem to "get" it. I even had to explain why I was volunteering for Habitat for Humanity with my small group...like I need a reason to want to do something nice for another person? I had to back out because of this unexpected pregnant thing (yay!!) but I was so looking forward to it and didn't expect to have to explain it. My brother considers himself agnostic, and he's very smart. He likes to look at all views. I appreciate that he considers himself agnostic rather than atheist...at least I feel there is hope for him. He has never come to church with us, though.

I am very new to this...I don't know what Baptism in the Holy Spirit is? :?
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:44 am

Stefanie--Well, to answer your question could take a lot of time, so I'll try to give you a brief version! Actually, seems like the Church as a whole recently over-complicates Spirit baptism and even (in some cases) makes it out to be a negative or scary thing, which is far from the truth. Scripture is better at explaining it than me, so here are a couple places to check out when you get a chance.

Acts 2 (talks about Pentecost and how the Lord bestowed His spirit upon the disciples and early Christians) There are numerous references as well in many of Paul's letters (Ephesians 5:18; Galatians 5:16) and many others. If you're interested you can look in the concordance in the back of your Bible.

It was taken for granted back then that part of being an early Christian was that they took advantage of the Helper that God gave them, or the Holy Spirit. What seems strange to me (and I mean no offense by this, just my personal convictions :) ) is that the Church as a whole now, denominational churches and the like, reject Spirit baptism! It seems many people feel that the Spirit was only for back in the times of the early church and not for us today. I can't quite see the reasoning for that in the Bible, but it's something that has to be up to the individual, I know.

In our church, when we were old enough to know the decision we were making, we were baptized in water and baptized in the Holy Spirit, by the laying on of hands by the church pastor and elders. It has made a big difference in my life, to help me in my daily walk with Christ. My perspective began to change after I was baptized in the Spirit. It's a subtle difference, hard to explain... anyway I don't want to run on, but that's the best explanation I can give! My best advice is, if you're truly interested, to read the Bible and find references to the Spirit, both in the Old and New Testament. Sorry for the novel! :)

EDIT: P.S. Stefanie, congrats on your new pregnancy!!! :D
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MightyMarj » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:40 am

Stefanie, congrats on your new little blessing! When did you find out?

Becca, I was not aware that some churches view the Holy Spirit as a negative thing. Has anyone else experienced this or believe this?
Me: 34 DH: 38 DS: Colvin, 6 DD: Georgia, 4 DD: Ella, 4, from Russia
Baby #4 c-section scheduled for July 28!
:angel: Aug 2012 at 5 wks 3 days

Adoption story http://aplantingforhisglory.blogspot.com//, Love fabric? http://www.etsy.com/shop/mightymarj
MightyMarj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby carebear7951 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:07 am

I go to a fairly traditional Baptist church. While I don't see any laying on of hands...I have not heard any negativity about the Holy Spirit...in fact, the opposite. We very much believe in it.
carebear7951
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby BeccaM » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:57 am

I'm not saying ALL churches, just some, and some individuals.

Carebear---I am surprised that your church actually agrees with the baptism of the Holy Spirit! I have heard that many Baptists don't believe in that. Not that I am coming against you or anything, just making an observation! There was a Baptist college near here that my DH applied to, and they said they had strict rules about who they let in there. People baptized in the Holy Spirit weren't allowed, as I recall.

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MightyMarj » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:37 pm

That is so strange to me, Becca! I went to a baptist church before we moved, and they were all for baptizing in the Holy Spirit!

Adoption story http://aplantingforhisglory.blogspot.com//, Love fabric? http://www.etsy.com/shop/mightymarj
MightyMarj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:45 pm

MightyMarj wrote:That is so strange to me, Becca! I went to a baptist church before we moved, and they were all for baptizing in the Holy Spirit!

Wow! I am just going by what I've heard, since I've never been Baptist. There must be different "sects" or something, maybe?

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dee12h » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:10 am

I also have a lot of family who aren't Christians, on my dad's side. Family reunions are interesting to say the least. My brother started going to seminary a couple yrs ago, though (a big change f/ him :)) & now everyone looks to him as the spiritual leader. It's really awesome. My stepmom is on the verge of getting saved (if she isn't already.) I gave her a Max Lucado book awhile back when she was asking questions & her email yesterday said that my dad is now reading it. Awesome. My cousin was a lesbian, had 2 kids out of wedlock & my brother recently led her to the Lord. I have been praying for these people for years, & now my little bro is reaping the harvest. I don't mind that at all though. :) So just keep trying, bc they are watching you! :) You can pray for my grandpa if you think about it (dad's dad). He tells us he's a Christian, but I'm not sure as he's never lived like it. He's also a 32nd degree Mason, so IDK. His wife passed away last yr & he just moved into a home, so he really shouldn't have much longer probably.
"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" -Frederick Douglass
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dee12h » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:25 am

OK, now for baptism of the HS. :) I could seriously write a book as I am actually researching, searching a lot of this out. But Becca, I think the typical non-charismatic belief is that you get the HS when you get saved; it's automatic, whereas, charismatics believe it's usually a separate event. It's not at all that they are against the HS. They just believe that some of the "gifts of the Spirit", speaking in tongues, prophecy, etc, were only for the early church & are now "dead". But they DO believe the HS lives in them & helps them w/ daily life. I hardly think you could be a Christian w/o believe that. :dunno:

So I grew up in a very conservative "non-charismatic" Bible church (pretty close to Baptist. (We go to a Baptist church now.) Then I got involved in "reformed" theology which absolutely made sense to me. I loved it. (well, still do). If you're not familiar, it's basically Calvinism (but I hate that term), predestination, sovereignty of God, etc. Traditionally opposed to all things charismatic. lol. But then my mom "converted", for lack of a better term, to charismatic theology. She completely believes in tongues, healing, that God never intends us to be poor or sick, that the all the gifts are still alive today. She is into the "name it & claim it" stuff (which I also am starting to hate that term :) ).

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" -Frederick Douglass
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dee12h » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:26 am

....ANYWAY, my theology is molding & shifting a lot & still is. I do not believe the gifts of the Spirit are dead like I used to. I believe that God wants to do many more miracles than we ask of Him at times. I think His power is so much greater than typical "non-charismatics" realize, and they often don't tap into it. I also really like their emphasis on positive thinking (it is Biblical!) and on spiritual warfare. I think non-charismatic do not give enough attention to this area. (& of course some ppl give too much.) But everything is a balance. I don't think that God always wants us rich or that He never has a purpose for sickness. I have definitely not let go of my reformed theology. Basically, I am determined to make it all mesh together somehow. LOL! All the things I KNOW to be true from before, and now the new things I am learning. I have recently gone from a state of confusion & doubt to excitement, bc I do think we can come together on some of these things. :)

The one really great thing I have learned is that these 2 sides greatly misunderstand each other. We make fun of charismatics all the time. & I was guilty of it as well. But I am discovering that they do the same thing. "Those stiff, dead Baptists," or whatever. It's good to look into what the other side believe, bc you'll realize there actually is merit to it, and that they actually do use Scripture to back it up. (I used to think charismatics were unschooled in theology & that's why they believed what the did. I do think that many are, but many are not also.)

So now I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm in between. (I'm not telling my mom though. She's still trying to convert me. LOL) A great person to listen to if you're interested in Joseph Prince. He's a preacher on cable & is excellent & IMO, pretty balanced. Sry so long! :oops:
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:47 pm

Okay, so baptism of the holy spirit and water baptism are linked? I'm still learning all the terminology and wanted to make sure I wasn't confusing one thing for another. The hubby and I were just water baptized last month and I understand what you mean, Becca--it has changed everything and how I view it all. I feel more "complete" in a way, I guess. :) And I fully believe the Holy Spirit is still working in us...I can't explain why else I just suddenly feel moved to tears during worship or why I feel a huge internal tugging to speak up or go forward at times that I am asked.

Thanks for the pregnancy well-wishes--I could really use them! I have a good story for this:
I'm involved in my first ever small group. Two weeks ago, we had a wonderful woman lay hands on the three of us in the group hoping to become pregnant. All the girls put hands on us and prayed. The next day, I took a test and it had a maaaaaybe line but I was pretty sure I was just wanting to see something. The day after that (a Monday), I had 5 BFPs and had my blood confirmation that Wednesday. We had been trying for 26 months at that point.

On Thursday I had some pink spotting that only lasted for one trip to the bathroom and then stopped. I was freaked at first, but I calmed down. However, I just used the bathroom and had some red spotting. :( It seems to have stopped again, but I am seriously not enjoying this on and off spotting and it's really messing with me. I am in serious need of prayer that this is normal spotting and the baby is fine. I found out today that the Army hospital here is not good about dealing with spotting/cramping. They don't give early ultrasounds and I am just so annoyed and unsure what to do. When we had access to an Air Force hospital, they were fantastic! I called with spotting and cramping when pregnant with my son and they got me in THAT DAY for an ultrasound...that won't likely happen here. :( :(
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MightyMarj » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:57 pm

Stefanie, I am praying for you & baby right now.
Last edited by MightyMarj on Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MightyMarj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby katiejo » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:39 pm

:praying: for you & your baby, Stefanielynn!
Cathy (38) :hb: DH (39)
John (Jan. '05) :hb: Nate (June '07) :hb: Gabe (May '10)
katiejo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dee12h » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:03 pm

praying for you as well. Spotting CAN be normal at the this stage- sometimes it's implantation. I had spotting around the beginning of my 2nd trimester. Never been more scared in my life. Hope it's nothing! :hugs:
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to MOMMY CIRCLES