FF Questions

A *supportive* place for formula fed babies

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

FF Questions

Postby uggbug » Mon May 16, 2011 9:33 am

Really thought I'd be BF so I didn't really research FF. Any tips? My ped says 2-4 oz every 3-4 hours. My little guy seems hungry more often then this.

1. Is it okay to give him little snacks in between the big feedings?
2. If he only drinks half a bottle is it safe to drink the rest later? Or do I need to throw it out(which is what I've been doing)
3. Why does powdered formula fill him up less then ready to feed?
4. How often does your FF baby poo?
5. Where is cheapest place to buy Similac Advance Care ready to feed formula?
6. Do I have to heat the formula up?
7. How often do you wake baby during the day to feed(every ? hours)?
8. How often do you wake baby during the night to feed(every ? hours)?

My ped said I don't have to wake him at night to feed but I feel bad doing this???
uggbug
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sunnib » Tue May 17, 2011 11:20 pm

I formula fed for the first 8 weeks, I'll try to answer the best I can :)
1. Is it okay to give him little snacks in between the big feedings? Anytime he is hungry is fine to feed. Sometimes DS would want a bottle every hour or so and would only want a little, I think they mainly do it just for the comfort. Most babies eat every 2-3 hours, even on formula.
2. If he only drinks half a bottle is it safe to drink the rest later? Or do I need to throw it out(which is what I've been doing)
Within an hour is what is recomended. I read a few posts about moms who kept it in the fridge and had no issues so I tried it and also had no issues. If you feed him cold formula and put it right back in the fridge when he is done there is less of a chance for bacteria to grow. I only started keeping formula past the one hour mark once DS was eating cold formula, I didnt like the idea of it sitting in there having to cool and then being reheated.
Ready to feed is thicker.. thats the only reason I can think of.
DS only poos once a day, twice every once in awhile, and has since birth both on formula and breastfeeding. As long as he has wet diapers and the poop looks normal I wouldnt worry about how often it happens. Everything I have read said anything from 1-6 times a day to 1 time every 2-3 days can be normal (sometimes longer then 3 days is normal too 8O) .
I would check Amazon, sign up for Amazon mom and put it on automatic shipping for a discount then if you want you can cancel the automatic shipping once your order is placed and still keep the discount. You should also sign up with Similac if you have not already, I have gotten about $50 in coupons from them so far making all my ready to feed bottles free.
no, I did until Zander was about 6 weeks and then gave it to him right out of the fridge. Some will not take cold formula, some dont care.
I would do every 3 hours or so
If he is not getting up on his own to eat I would wake him every 4 and then once he hits about 3 months you can go 6. You can go longer as long as he still gets plenty of wet diapers. If you notice less wet diapers then move the time back an hour. Thats just a general idea based on my son though, if you want to try letting him sleep through the night or until he wakes on his own thats fine too.. just keep an eye on the diapers. Formula takes longer to digest.
Me (Sunni) -27
DH (James) -32
Zander- 1/31/11 34w4d
Grayson Surprise BFP 7/7/13... Born 2/25/14 39w
Surprise BFP 3/1/15 ...It's a girl!!

sunnib
Angel
Angel

Postby monkeysauce » Wed May 18, 2011 6:18 am

My answers are pretty much the same as Sunni's...

1. Is it okay to give him little snacks in between the big feedings?

Yes, I'd feed him whenever you're sure he's hungry. My daughter wants to eat more like every 2.5-3 hours, for example. I always try to get a full feed into her, but there are times when she'll only take half of one. I call that a snack.

The formula instructions say that you're supposed to throw it out... but I keep our bottles scrupulously clean and refrigerate immediately after Amelia stops eating, and yes, I will keep more than an ounce of formula to try again on her later. I don't keep such bottles more than about six hours, though.

Dunno. It doesn't look as thick, does it?

When she was breastfeed she was going 3-4 times every day. When her diet switched over to mostly formula, she was more on a once every 24-36 hours schedule. Several weeks later she's now starting to go more often, more like once or twice a day.

Don't know about that one specifically. See if Amazon Mom will give you a discount for repeat shipments, though I don't think they do. Meijer/Walmart has the best formula prices I've found.

No, you don't, it just depends on what your baby will take. Dr. Spock says warm, room temp, or fridge cold are all just fine. My daughter won't take fridge-cold formula, for example, but is fine with formula the temperature of tap water.

Until the baby regains birth weight, you're supposed to feed at least every 3 hours, whether you have to wake them up, keep them up, whatever. I was still breastfeeding my daughter at that stage, and there were a couple of nights I had to put wet socks on her to keep her awake.

Once the baby has regained birth weight, you never need to wake him/her up to eat. It's safe to let the baby tell you when it's hungry. Books say that a baby will weigh about 12 pounds before it can go 8 hours without eating at night, and we've found that to be pretty spot-on. My daughter is going 7.5-9.5 hours at night, and though we don't know what she weighs (two month checkup this afternoon!), I bet she's edging on twelve pounds now.
Amelia Bel born 3/16/2011
monkeysauce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby uggbug » Wed May 18, 2011 2:41 pm

Thanks for the replies! You all pretty much said what my ped had to say today. he is over his birth weight now so bring on the sleep! Yeah right!
uggbug
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Formula Feeding