Help! Baby is not pooping. (x-posted in July)

A *supportive* place for formula fed babies

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Help! Baby is not pooping. (x-posted in July)

Postby CaseyB » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Ok, here's the background story... I was exclusively pumping until 2 days ago. DH and I decided that it would be best for all of us if I went back on my normal birth control as soon as possible. I've been a hormonal mess the past few days. I have PCOS, so that's part of the reason. I also thought it would be a lot easier on me at night if I didn't have to waste time pumping while Molly is sleeping and I should be sleeping too. Molly also had really bad diarrhea for about 24 hours. She was going almost every hour, and it was like water. So anyways... all of those things combined made us decide to start giving her formula and my plan is to slow down the pumping until I dry up. Now it's been about 24 hours since the last time Molly pooped. She also vomited twice after her last bottle... the entire 4 oz. I called the nurse at her doctor's office and she said it's probably being caused by the iron in the formula, and that I should get her a low-iron formula. Well, I called the "feeding expert" at Similac and they said low-iron formula is not recommended and they no longer make any.

So what do I do now?? I have a little bit of breastmilk saved that I'm going to give her at her next feeding, but what do I do after that? I probably sound horrible, but I really can't handle going back to pumping every 3-4 hours. Lots of babies do perfectly fine on formula, so why is Molly having this problem? Anyone have any ideas? I am at a complete loss right now.
Me: Casey(27) DH: Shawn(27)
DD: Molly, July 2011, breech C/S
Hoping for a VBAC!
It's a girl!
CaseyB
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby coastieschick » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:08 pm

Maybe the sudden change? If you could pump just for a little bit and formula feed it might help her adjust. When DH went to the bottle I cut one nursing at a time for 2-3 days and then I would cut another, and so on...
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby CaseyB » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:01 pm

This is a pretty slow forum, so I just figured I'd give an update in case anyone else reads this. I ended up pumping for a little while longer and giving her a combination of breastmilk and formula. After she was on 100% formula, her pooping finally regulated itself and she now goes once or twice a day. Her vomiting ended up being caused by switching from breast to bottle, and she needed a preemie nipple for the first few weeks of bottle feeding. She went to level 1 nipples after that and she's now on level 2 nipples and doing great.
Me: Casey(27) DH: Shawn(27)
DD: Molly, July 2011, breech C/S
Hoping for a VBAC!
It's a girl!
CaseyB
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby monkeysauce » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:48 am

Glad things worked out, Casey. My daughter had constipation issues when we switched her from breast to formula, too.
Amelia Bel born 3/16/2011
monkeysauce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby TTCin2010 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:06 pm

just now reading this.. glad to hear everything is normal...

Poop is a common topic i've learned :)
Me:Lauree: 29 DH: Joe: 32

DS:Aidan: 7.20.11
DD:Audree: 7.20.11

My Blog

TTCin2010
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Formula Feeding