To many poopie diapers?

A *supportive* place for formula fed babies

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

To many poopie diapers?

Postby finallyhappened » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:13 pm

What would you considered to many poppie diapers? We are currently formula fedding our little guy, and he is literally a pooping machine! I change about 7-8 poopie diapers a day! (Is this normal for formula fedding?) This maybe TMI (sry if it is) but when he goes you can hear it, it is a very watery like substance. He is just shy of being 3 weeks old. We used similac, however he was very gassy, had hiccups, wouldn't burp no matter how long you tap his back and of course he would poop like crazy, and would act like he was uncomfortable, he would pull up his knees and legs to his stomach! I even tried Mylicon gas relief which helped some, but not as much as I had hoped it would.

Finally Dh and I switched to Gerber good start gentle as the label reads easy to digest and has comfort proteins. Everything cleared up except the pooping (his bum is a little sore, red), he is easier to burp, no hiccups after feeding, and hasn't pulled up his knees or legs as of yet since switching formulas.

Should I be worried/concern about the amount of dirty diaper he is having? He does eat every 2-3 hrs right on schedule during the day and at night sometimes he goes up to 4 hours before wanting a feeding.
Thanks for any input! :D

finallyhappened
Star Member
Star Member

Postby princess_sam » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:34 pm

Wow that does seem like a lot! How often are you changing his bum? Is he pooping like once an hour type thing? Or like 2o minutes later he's pooped again type? I think formula fed babies are supposed to poop less?

Jacob is just a teeny bit older at a month old, and he has maybe 2 poopy ones a day. He did have a real poopy day last week where he had maybe 3 poops within 3 hours but it's not consistently like that. We feed him Enfamil A+ powder.
My Blog: http://www.coreyandsamttc1.blogspot.com

DS1 - Jacob born Sept 28th/11 @40+1, 7lbs 15 oz
DS2 - Joshua born Apr 7th/13 @38+6, 6lbs 9oz

princess_sam
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby princess_sam » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:38 pm

I also wanted to add Jake's poop is normally somewhat watery too.
My Blog: http://www.coreyandsamttc1.blogspot.com

DS1 - Jacob born Sept 28th/11 @40+1, 7lbs 15 oz
DS2 - Joshua born Apr 7th/13 @38+6, 6lbs 9oz

princess_sam
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby finallyhappened » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:26 pm

He literally poops at times one right after the other! I say about every hour to 2 hours. It lessons at night thank goodness! I can hear it when he goes, thats how watery and fast it comes out sry if tmi. I"m going to call his pedi tomorrow who just returned from vacation and see what they think about him going number 2 like this. Thanks for your reply!

finallyhappened
Star Member
Star Member

Postby CaseyB » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:53 pm

Talk to your pediatrician before switching, but it sounds like he may be lactose-intolerant and might need a soy formula. That much pooping is totally normal in breastfed babies, but formula-fed babies "usually" only poop once or twice a day and it's got more substance to it. Keep in mind, every baby is different and this could be normal for your baby, but I'd ask the pedi about switching to soy.
Me: Casey(27) DH: Shawn(27)
DD: Molly, July 2011, breech C/S
Hoping for a VBAC!
It's a girl!
CaseyB
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Formula Feeding