Baby-Led Weaning?

Transitioning to Solid Foods/Picky Eaters/Feeding Difficulties

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Baby-Led Weaning?

Postby mrsg2008 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:36 am

Just curious if anyone here had tried BLW, and if so, how you went about it, and how it went with your LO? We're not ready for solids quite yet, but I'm trying to think ahead. I'm just not sure if I want to go the traditional puree/oatmeal route or dive into BLW. Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Baby-Led Weaning?

Postby ashleybrooke » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:59 pm

*Random* (August 2012 DDC with you) I can't believe our babies are almost old enough for solids!

I'm hoping to do BLW, but don't know what foods he can actually have, since I've always read not to give anything with dairy, nuts, etc; in it...
There is a "Breast is Best" facebook page and they may be able to help you!
Also, "babyledweaning.com"

I'm also a little sad because I EBF and I know his pediatrician will say to start solids at his 6 month check up. (February 8th)
I've read on the BIB fb page that "food before 1 is just for fun" (for BF babies anyways)....so I may wait a few more months!
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby litmajor » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:27 am

I'd be careful with the Breast is Best page. Seems like they often post stuff and come back a few hours later with "Well, Dr. Expert messaged us and said this is untrue but go with your gut mamas!". :roll:

And as for their "Food before 1 is just for fun" stuff, this blog was enlightening on the subject. http://breastfeedingwithoutbs.blogspot. ... -just.html It is just a blog, but I asked my pediatrician and looked into other sources on it, and it seems to have valid points, particularly in regards to iron intake.

As for BLW, I do think we will start her with feeding herself earlier than most people, but we are going to start with mashed and pureed stuff. Seems like BLW generally works better if they are delayed with starting solids, and we will probably start at 5 months. I figure since she's had a strictly liquid diet, I want to move slowly into solids so as to not upset her digestive system. I am planning on skipping rice cereal and was seriously considering starting her on mashed/pureed fruits and veggies to start out with, but after talking to my pedi, I'm also thinking about doing oatmeal or barley first. Not quite sure yet!
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsg2008 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:33 pm

One of the girls on our FB group posted a great link on BLW:
http://elefantitasalegres.blogspot.com/ ... omgah.html

And I bought the book it mentions. It is full of information, and talks about what foods to try. I highly recommend it! You can give your baby fruit, veggies, meats, etc. You just want to avoid peanuts, fish, and eggs (although if you have no egg allergies in your family, it may be ok). I plan to start with either banana or avocado. Your pediatrician will also go over what foods to try and which ones to avoid.
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby LaraE » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:18 pm

Great foods to start with are bananas and avocados!
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KJ511 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:34 pm

I really want to try this. I'm trying to get DH on board. He is sounding more and more interested but I'm going to buy the book to really get him into it. I'm just worried about what our pedi will say--she told me at DD's 4-month appointment last Friday that I could start cereal anytime I want. Not ready yet, and not sure I want to do cereal anyway!
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mrsg2008 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:56 am

I flat out told my pediatrician that I didn't want to do cereal, and she looked surprised, but said it was my choice. I think the big concern is that the baby gets enough iron, but I know you can give baby iron rich foods, or you can even do an iron supplement. My DH told me to do whatever I want. I don't think he was crazy about the idea of me pureeing a bunch of baby food anyhow. :) Plus with BLW, it encourages the parents to eat better. I know I could benefit from that!
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby litmajor » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:52 am

From the blog mrsg posted, the supplies needed for BLW..

a rat terrier for easy cleanup

:lol2:

My pedi said it's hard to match the level of iron in the small amounts that babies start out with, which is why I'm still considering oatmeal or barley. Although think we will go with Earth's Best brand, as everything else in the store has sugar in it.
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsg2008 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:38 pm

Right? I loved the humor on that blog post. I have 2 Labs, so I'm sure I won't have to worry about cleaning up stray food!

And you just have to do what's best for you. I would be leery of giving a baby so much sugar, too. Isn't it weird to think about all the crappy foods we ate growing up, and now we wouldn't necessary feed our kids the same stuff? DH and I were just talking about this. We ate hot dogs, fish sticks, mac 'n cheese, Spaghetti O's...not a whole lot of nutritional value. But my parents made sure we ate fruits, veggies, and drank milk, too. Funny how times change!
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby litmajor » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:50 pm

Oh I know! I was just thinking about mac & cheese the other day. The idea of eating mac & cheese now makes me want to puke, but I know we ate it as kids (although I don't think I was particularly fond of it back then either). I believe some of the not so good stuff is ok in moderation as they get older, but I don't know if I can stomach the idea of mac & cheese. And now it confuses me- why not just do noodles and marinara? Why dump nacho cheese on it? Ughhh.
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsg2008 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:25 pm

Or even homemade mac 'n cheese! With real cheese, no orange powder.
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby litmajor » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:51 am

Have you started anything yet? I think we're going to try that Earth's Best oatmeal in about 2 weeks.. We practice with a spoon occasionally, and she already seems to know what to do.
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsg2008 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 am

Not quite yet, I'm waiting to start until DD is 6 months old so it'll be easier on her digestive system. Not too much longer! :)
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby ashleybrooke » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:16 pm

I forgot I even commented on this! lol
I'm online now looking for good recipes for BLW...some of the recipes have stuff like flour, butter, bread, canned fish, etc; in them...is that stuff okay for a 6 month old to have?? I'm thinking about making some purees and freezing them in ice trays, too. (in a couple months) I've read that starting babies on fruits instead of vegetables first will also give them a sweet tooth and they will be more picky...not sure if that's true! I think bananas and sweet potatoes will be some of the first foods we try.

Yeah, I've tried to research the whole "food before 1 is just for fun," but I don't really get any good answers. I definitely had no intention of just giving him breast milk until he's a year old, I just thought maybe I could delay solids until he's 8-9 months old. (partially because I'm not ready, partially because I feel like he's not completely ready) He acts interested in most foods I eat, but honestly, I would not feed him what I'm eating because I'm paranoid he'll get sick (mostly food with meat...I'm just weird like that lol). I also read that he should be sitting up unassisted (or with little help) before he starts solids. Occasionally, he will sit up for a few seconds, but he usually falls forward...he's 5.5 months old, is it alright that he's not sitting up on his own yet? (sorry, totally OT)
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby mrsg2008 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:40 am

You can give them pretty much anything, just avoid honey, nuts, and anything with too much salt or sugar. I would avoid canned fish, and go for fresh or frozen. You can ask your pediatrician which fish have the lowest levels of mercury.
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregna ... ercury.htm

If there are any food allergies in your family or your DH's, be wary of those foods. You should also avoid a lot of whole grain, as it can be too rough on your baby's digestive system.

BM is naturally sweet, so giving your baby fruit will not give him a sweet tooth. Bananas and sweet potatoes would be great! You have to give them chunks or spears long enough so it can stick out of their fists while they hold it. Leave some of the peel on the end of a banana chunk so he can grip it better.

Are you using a meat thermometer with your meats? As long as things are cooked to their proper temperatures, it should be just fine.

A lot of babies start to sit up on their own around 6 months, and I read if they're not doing it by 9 months, to discuss it with their doctor.

Food before 1 is really just for fun. But he needs the practice of eating and getting different flavors and textures in his mouth. So it really doesn't matter how much of his solids that he eats, as long as he keeps getting BM, he'll be just fine. There's not hard and fast rule that babies need to start solids at 6 months, so if you truly don't feel he's ready, he may not be.

Another thing: BLW will be messy! I plan to put DD in her highchair in the middle of our kitchen in just her diaper. I don't think it will take more than once for our dogs to figure out that baby eating = jackpot! :)

I really do recommend those BLW books I sent you the links to. It explains everything much better and in detail, and the cookbook has easy, healthy recipes you can use.
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Next

Return to Solid Foods & Feeding Issues