Getting better with solids?

Transitioning to Solid Foods/Picky Eaters/Feeding Difficulties

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Getting better with solids?

Postby KJ511 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:46 pm

DD is not super-into eating solids. She's just over 7 months old and we started about a week before her 6-month mark. She's doing a lot better, but just isn't all about it. There has only been one time where she finished all the food and we're only doing about a tablespoon at a time! We usually only do one solid "meal" per day because she just doesn't want to do more. We've started trying to add another "meal" in the past week, but so far not so good. We have also tried a bit of BLW but she's more interested in mashing things around and doesn't usually put them in her mouth, so we're mostly doing purees. She still is nursing every 2-3 hours, so I'm not worried about her getting calories.

How old were your LOs when they started to be more consistent with their solids and eat better? Is there anything I should be doing to help her get better? I know people say "food before one is just for fun" but I don't believe that, so please don't reply if that's your advice. I'm not trying to be rude but that just isn't helpful for us. Thanks in advance! :)
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Getting better with solids?

Postby h0ping » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Hi...I can't offer much personal advise since my LO would eat everything out of the fridge some days if I let him......BUT a little girl at my son's daycare wanted nothing to do with solids for the longest time - she is about 8 months old and I think they started her around 5 months or so....and she would just push everything out of her mouth or not open her mouth at all.....the mom was concerned enough that she took LO to the doctor and everything (no medical issues / reason for this) so anyway - they just continued to try to offer all different things - table food, jarred baby food, oatmeal, etc 3xday (since she really wasn't eating more than a bite or two) it was just offered, no pushing or stress etc and now she is doing much better - she still doesn't eat nearly what my little man does but she is doing much better I guess - now eats banana and pureed food well....so sorry I can't offer much but maybe just offering it more so she can get used to it? Do you have her sit at the table with you while you eat????

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Re: Getting better with solids?

Postby KJ511 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:19 am

Yep, she sits right with us. We don't feed her while we're eating but we have her in her high chair playing so she gets used to sitting at the table for mealtimes. I guess we'll just keep offering! She eats a few bites and then gets distracted and starts yelling, so that's generally our cue for ending her solid mealtime. :) Thanks for the reply!
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Solid Foods & Feeding Issues