thawing meat??

Let's swap good recipes and meal ideas!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

thawing meat??

Postby ashleybrooke » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:47 am

Hopefully some people visit this board! I can see it hasn't been posted on in a while.

I was wondering what a quick and safe way to defrost meats in 2 days would be.
Our refrigerator stays very cold and even 1 pound of ground beef doesn't thaw in it for 3-4 days. In my freezer, I have a 5 lb pack of ground beef that I want to thaw and cook all at once, then re-freeze the cooked meat into 1/2 - 1 lb portions for future meals. I usually divide the meat into 1 lb portions, freeze it, then put it in the fridge or defrost in the microwave when I need it...but didn't have time to do that with this meat. Also, I have a full pack of chicken that I want to cook on the same day. I could probably put this in the fridge for 2 days, then just throw it in the crock pot. (I put a whole pack in the crock pot, then shred and re-freeze the cooked chicken into about 2 cup portions for later use.) The packs usually have between 7 and 9 large breasts. I want to cook all of this meat in 2 days, help? Also, any yummy freezer meals are welcome! **I am not a very great cook at all....lol, and I only eat chicken cooked in the crock pot - if I'm cooking it, that is!**
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: thawing meat??

Postby luvin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:22 am

I don't do it the "right" way, but I always put the meat we need for that day in a sink of warm/hot water. It thaws and we have never been sick from it. I think that goes against all things meat related safety, though.
It's a girl!!
Officially: Evelyn Paige
[/url]ImageImage
luvin
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby litmajor » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:30 pm

luvin wrote:I don't do it the "right" way, but I always put the meat we need for that day in a sink of warm/hot water. It thaws and we have never been sick from it. I think that goes against all things meat related safety, though.

Yep, we do that too. Our fridge has also been known to freeze things, so thawing meat in it never works out. I've also heard of people thawing meat in the microwave.

As for the safety of it, I am not certain. I do remember reading something recently that suggested either thawing chicken in the fridge or in a bowl of room temperature water.
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ashleybrooke » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:18 pm

Okay, I decided to do this the unsafe way lol. I started out with cold water, went to hot water, started carving it until I could cut it in half to finish defrosting it in the microwave. It ended up taking me only about 2 hours to thaw and cook 5 lbs of ground beef. Ahh...relief lol! Now though, I just went grocery shopping and our freezer is full of different meats...yuck, I HATE touching raw meat. BUT, I have 5 sandwich bags of cooked ground beef in the freezer and as of today, 4 bags of cooked shredded chicken, so hopefully the beef defrosts and reheats well...then i'll be happy!
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Recipes - What's for dinner?