Convertible car seat recs--x-posted on General

Share advice on going places with baby

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Convertible car seat recs--x-posted on General

Postby KJ511 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:50 am

Hi everyone! DD is going to be outgrowing her infant seat for length very soon, and I'm just wondering what everyone recommends as far as convertible seats. We would really like to stay under $200, so even though the Britax and other models sound amazing I think we'd rather stick to a cheaper brand. Thanks in advance!
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Convertible car seat recs--x-posted on General

Postby litmajor » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:03 am

We have the Graco MySize70. It's slimmer than the MyRides (and only has one cupholder). It also has a handle on the top that lets you adjust the height, which also auto-adjusts the shoulder straps (instead of pulling them out and rethreading them). It rear faces up to 40 pounds, and forward up to 70. In FF, there are two different positions too, one reclines in case they want to nap. I love love love it.

I got it for $145 on sale, think it's normally $180 at BRU (although less if you use a 20% off coupon).
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsg2008 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:20 am

Kelli, IDK what kind of car(s) you have, but I do highly recommend going to a BRU and trying out the seats in your vehicle! Even if you don't end up buying from there, it's nice to have a good idea of what will and won't work for you.

We got this one for DH's tiny Mazda:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... hURL=false

And I got a Diono Radian RXT for my bigger car, but that would be outside your $200.
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mrsg2008 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:23 am

Oh, and I had my parents pick one of these up from Walmart for their car, since they watch her frequently:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Safety-1st-Gu ... s/19514414

We are installing it tomorrow. It's cheap, but I'm thinking it will be ok for occasional use.
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby KJ511 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:35 pm

We actually ended up getting a Graco MyRide 65. One of my friends has one and loves it--it apparently has the most rear-facing legroom of all the convertible models, and that's definitely something our tall girl needs! Plus it's pink and brown and I just think that's a super-cute combination. It's fun to have a girly item since we tried to go gender-neutral on all our other big purchases. She seems to like it so far and it fits very nicely in our new (to us) Saturn Vue. Thanks for all the recommendations! I really appreciate having this forum to hear others' experiences!
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mrsg2008 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:56 am

Glad you found something! :) And I agree, pink and brown is an adorable combo!

I liked the MyRide 65, but it was too big to fit in DH's tiny car. Really wishing he would have considered this before buying that thing...also I wish I had an SUV or a minivan. Hopefully by next summer I will! :D
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Strollers & Travel