Double strollers- what are your thoughts on these four?

Share advice on going places with baby

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Double strollers- what are your thoughts on these four?

Postby ashand888 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:31 am

I have been looking at double strollers a lot over the past few days and I think I have it narrowed down to a few choices. Here are my faves with my likes and potential concerns listed. Any thoughts or opinions are definitely welcome! Also, this is the double jogging stroller that I already have: http://www.joggingstroller.com/BOB-Ironman-Duallie.pro
It was a gift from DH's coworkers after DD was born because they thought/suspected we would have more kiddos so they just went with the double. I LOVE it and have just considered using it as our primary stroller when Baby Blue arrives but it's huge, hard to fit in the back of my (big) SUV and great for running/hikes but not great for everyday trips to the mall/indoor areas. I am planning to keep it for hikes and runs and leave it in the garage but not tote it around in the car for everyday use and will try to find something else that I love that will be more practical (though I hate to shell out too much money since we do already have this one that would suffice...)

1. Peg Perego Aria Twin http://www.juniorbaby.com/details.cfm?P ... gAriaT0901
Likes: Fairly inexpensive for a double, lightweight compared to many of the others, easy to fold down, car seat fits in perfectly (we have a Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP so it is made to go with one of their strollers)
Possible concerns: Seats are unevenly sized so car seat sits on bigger side and toddler sits on smaller side. DD is small but I'm not sure if she would be squished. Also, I'm a bit worried that if they're side by side DD will poke baby, take things away from him, grab at him, etc, making it impossible to shop without constantly monitoring her

2. Contours by Kolcraft http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... d=10660990
Likes: Again, fairly inexpensive for a double. I like how the seats are adjustable so you can face them toward each other, away from each other, both forward, both back or one each way.
Possible worries: I have read that it is REALLY heavy, heavier than many other doubles. Also, one review said that the infant seat didn't really click into the adapter but just rested in it, making it unstable, and that you have to take the seats out to fold the stroller down?!? I'm not sure if either of those are correct or if that lady just didn't know how to use the car seat adapter or fold down the seats properly.

3. Bumbleride Indie Twin http://www.bumbleride.com/collection2008/indie-twin.php
Likes: This stroller gets great reviews by almost everyone. I like how the wheels are larger so they won't lurch and hit bumps on the sidewalk but how it's not quite as huge as my dual jogging stroller.
Potential concerns: I don't think it's that much smaller than the BOB runner we have, though the front wheels are smaller since the one on my jogger is almost like a bike tire. Also, some reviews say that the car seat doesn't fit well into the adaptor but I'm not sure if that is true or, again, just someone who isn't the sharpest or who isn't doing it correctly. Again, with the side by side facing the same direction I worry that DD might poke/bother the baby the entire time.

4. First Wheels City Twin http://www.firstwheels.nl/en/city_twin/
This stroller is from Britain and is also sold in Australia and Canada. I think it may have been recently introduced to the US but there aren't many reviews yet. Since many of our products here in Canada are from the UK and they distribute them here, I have seen this stroller a few times around town and I might be able to find it in a local store.
Likes: I LOVE how the seats can face different ways but are still side by side. That way baby could face back toward me and DD could face forward, limiting how much she could bother baby/take things away from him/poke, etc but they could also both face the same way.
Dislikes: The little cot accessory (bassinet thing) is nice but you'd have to wake baby up to put him back in the car seat. You can get adapters for attaching car seats but I can't find a list of what car seats work with it. Also, in one review I read that the stroller is wide and may not fit through all standard doors, but I am unsure if that is in the UK where doors may be smaller and exactly how much wider it is than any other double stroller.

Anyone have thoughts on these or have a different one that you LOVE? Thanks in advance for your input and reviews!
Ashlee
Daughter- 14 years (joined us through adoption)
Daughter- 7 years
Son- 5 years
Son- 5 years (joined us through adoption)
Son- 2 years
Due with baby #6 (another boy) in August!
ashand888
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby scuzzymama » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:54 am

I have the peg perego (bought it used) and so far, I really like it. It folds fairly compactly (compared to the other one I have which is the joovy big caboose for when I take all three girls out) and is easy to push. It doesn't fit through all doorways, but not alot of twin strollers do.
scuzzymama
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ashand888 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:22 pm

Scuzzymama- How does your oldest DD do with the Joovy? I considered that one too but I am unsure if 1. DD will sit there or if she will be annoyed that she is facing back, toward me instead of forward to see out and 2. If she will try to get out of the seat and how secure it is. My DD will be 21 months when the new baby arrives...not sure if that is too young for a Joovy (seated, of course- no way she'd stand without falling off) yet. Thanks again for your help!
Ashlee
Daughter- 7 years
Son- 5 years
Son- 2 years
ashand888
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby laurab007 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:20 pm

My friend bought the Bumbleride, but her small 4 yo was too big to fit in it, so she had to send it back. If you're interested in that one, I suggest finding a place where you can see it in person to see if your dd will fit.

Have you looked at the Baby Jogger City Mini? My friend has it and loves it.

http://babyjogger.com/city_mini_dbl_dtl.aspx

Another friend has the Kolkraft and likes it, but it it huge and it looks so hard to maneuver. I prefer the side by side kind. I've heard from several people they're easier to turn.
Laura - 43 and still fabulous!
:angel: 1/19/10 M/C 8w5d d&c (triploidy)
No longer TTC

ImageImage

laurab007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ashand888 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:10 pm

Thanks so much for the advice!

Yes, I've heard that the Bumbleride was small and that was one of my concerns with it, along with the fact that it doesn't fold down very small (and we already have a BOB Ironman double running stroller that is great but difficult to transport).

We ended up going with the Peg Perego Aria double. I found one that had only been used once for half what I would have paid new and it's a perfect match to our Peg Perego car seat! I have also found while testing out double strollers that DD wants to ride next to the baby and not have the baby behind her so we did end up going with the side by side.

Thanks again for your thoughts!
Ashlee
Daughter- 7 years
Son- 5 years
Son- 2 years
ashand888
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Luckyjen » Fri May 29, 2009 10:04 am

I'm going for a Phil n Teds sport this time around. The new version has the adjustable height handles (DH is 6'5 and i'm a lowly 5'2.). I tried the side by side versions, but found them tricky for navigating in stores and even sidewalks (i felt a bit like a wide load)
I like the phil n ted sport because I can have it as a double or a single, has a cover, the top seat can be made flat for baby, and I LOVE those sassy colors (wish the orange hadn't been discontinued (sight). Plus when I tried it out, it felt light and easy to navigate.
If you are in Canada, I like http://www.babyguru.ca for phil n teds stollers (they price match anywhere else in Canada, and have reasonable shipping rates - sometimes no shipping charge at all)
Good luck
Jen
me:43
DH:41
DD: born on Jan 13 2010
DS: born mar 12 2008
Luckyjen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ashand888 » Fri May 29, 2009 12:27 pm

Oh wow, thanks for the info Jen! We are in Calgary so that info is very helpful! Thanks again :)
Ashlee
Daughter- 7 years
Son- 5 years
Son- 2 years
ashand888
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby FruitCake » Sun May 31, 2009 4:06 am

I already have the Phil n Teds sport and love it. It fits in my small car, and great for either walking around shops, or jogging etc. We just need to buy the extra seat for when baby 2 arrives. I can have the infant car seat on top with my 1 year old on the bottom, new born lying flat with older child on top, and when new baby gets bigger both sitting one infront of the other. For me the side by side strollers are to wide and hard to move around the shops, my only concern with the phil n ted is how much the child at the bottom can see.
FruitCake
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby ashand888 » Sun May 31, 2009 5:00 am

Fruitcake- Your concerns are the exact reason we ended up not buying the Phil and Ted stroller where you can add the extra seat on the bottom. We tested it out with the seat attached and DD HATED not being able to see anything and was constantly trying to climb out. She also tried to stick her fingers in the wheels and I was so worried they'd get caught in the spokes and hurt her :( It seemed like a great option in principle but when we gave it a test run we quickly learned it wasn't for us. However, I have friends who have it with two kids and love it so it must just depend a lot on the personality of your kids and also how often you use it. We take trips to the mall, store, park, etc almost daily and I also use my stroller for longer (30-50 minute) runs so that played a role in what we ultimately ended up buying too.

Thanks so much for the useful info, everyone :)
Ashlee
Daughter- 7 years
Son- 5 years
Son- 2 years
ashand888
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sherry2010 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:11 pm

i'm waiting for the stroll air my duo. it costs a fortune, but it's light, configures a bunch of ways like colcraft, which i considered along with perego but it's lighter more compact and holds two infant car seats. with my last i bought 4 strollers, so for all those i could have bought a $1,500 stroller, lol. now instead of buying a bunch, i'd rather pay $8-900, being that you use it so often and my own with twins, how much can i possibly carry.

ugh its all so damn expensive.

if i wasn't having twins though, i'd go with something else so im not a good example i guess

gl sherry
sherry2010
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sherry2010 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:13 pm

ps i was gonna get kolcraft and a bumbleride indie twin. i tried the indie out in the store and it's WONDERFUL...moves great, but i don't want them always forced to face where they can fight, so i was gonna get two but with the stroll air i'd only get one..i'd hope, lol
sherry2010
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Strollers & Travel