Infant Car Seat - worth it?

Share advice on going places with baby

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Infant Car Seat - worth it?

Postby NYsBelle » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:24 pm

DH and I are planning on using the First Years Premiere True Fit Convertible Car Seat for our DD-to-be.

I just found out that our birthing hospital requires us to buckle baby girl in her car seat before we can leave the maternity ward and carry her out of the hospital like that.

There is no way that I am going to get the car seat situated in our car to undo it all and bring it into the hospital, put baby girl into it and carry her out of the hospital to take her out of the car seat to get it resituated in the car and then place her back in the car seat.

So my question is: do I just borrow someone else's infant car seat to get baby girl out of the hospital, buy an infant car seat from a garage sale or craigslist, or should we spend the $$ and buy a new infant car seat?

My brother has already offered to buy us the stroller (or travel system if we so choose). We want the Chicco Cortina stroller, which by itself is about $170 and about $280 with the infant car seat.
Me (Kiersten)- 32; DH (Ross)- 38
Audrey Therese :babyg: 11/06/09 :babyg: 7lbs14.5oz :babyg: breech, c-section at 39w1d
Justin Anthony :babyb: 10/18/11 :babyb: 9lb2oz :babyb: Natural VBAC at 40w2d
Evelyn Marirose :babyg: 5/16/13 :babyg: 6lb 9oz :babyg: Natural VBAC at 40w1d
NYsBelle
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby cheesehead4girl » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:31 pm

i tried to save money just buying the convertible car seats. after less than a week we went and bought the infant seats. i'm soooo glad we did cause it's easier to get them strapped in the seat inside, then take the seat out to the car. especially, if it's raining or cold.

when i was getting ready to leave the hospital with my twins, the nurse told me we needed to bring the car seats to my room for the babies. i told her we had the convertible seats that stay in the car. she didn't say anything else about it. she walked me out to the car and saw that we put the babies in the seats and adjusted the straps like they needed to be. i don't know if the hospital i delivered at has a policy about the car seats or she was just assuming we had infant seats. i'm sure every hospital is different.

tanya
ImageImageImageImageImage
cheesehead4girl
Star Member
Star Member

Postby jmlgirl » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:42 am

I prefer the infant carseat using the stroller frame (it's like a snap & go type of thing). So much easier than the whole travel system and way less bulky...
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Id=2266236

When our DD was ready for a convertable car seat we bought a lightweight stroller that could recline...
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Id=3375006
Me: Jo & DW: Angie
DD Sophie
DD Stella
DD Nora
DS Quinn

www.advocare.com/10053966
jmlgirl
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Shannybaby » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:14 pm

I would really suggest getting an infant seat. It is a lot easier to carry them around in that for the first few months. Especially as newborns. When you go to the store you will have to take baby out which will wake her up and you will have to carry her around. Then you have to put her back in the carseat when you leave. If it gets cold where you live it will be a real pain to have to take her out of the carseat and put her back in when it is cold. I seriously couldn't live without our infant seats. When they are that little we could go to the store and they would sleep the entire time in the carseats and not even wake up till we got home. It just made things sooo much easier. Another thing, if you go out to eat you can take the infant seat in with you and they just sleep away in there. Just some things to think about :)
Shannon :hb: Adam
ImageImage
ImageImage
Our sweet baby girl, Aspen Greer, arrived March 1st 2013 at 4:30 am weighing 6lb 20in !! <3
Shannybaby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby brenjay » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:24 pm

The first time your baby goes down for a nap in the car, and you can just bring the entire seat into the house (without waking or disturbing!!!), you will be so happy you bought the infant carseat.

Well worth it. Also, agreed with the PP's - getting your baby in and out of it in the house is so much easier than struggling with them in the back seat.
brenjay
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Sweetie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:30 pm

Definitely get the infant seat. I can't imagine not having that with a newborn! Trust us! ;)

We have the Chicco Cortina travel system and I loved the infant seat with that. Yeah, it was a little heavy, but not too bad until the last few months, when we sorta stopped carrying her around in the seat as much. But it was really nice being able to put the seat in the grocery cart, slide it in the booth at a restraunt, or just carry into the house all while she was asleep! Plus the fact that snaps right onto the stroller is super convenient! You will definitely want an infant seat. :)
Me (Beth)- 28 :love: DH (Chris)- 33
ImageImage

ImageImage
Sweetie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dizzymariposa2 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:45 pm

An infant seat is much safer for a NB, though convertibles are fine and safe as well. Also, if you do go with a convertible, check the reviews for newborns. For alot of them, the bottom harness slots aren't low enough (they need to be below or even with the shoulders) so that is something to look into. Also, sometimes there is too much space between the crotch strap and the baby, which leads to the baby slipping down and not being properly restrained.
Me (24) DP (25)
Gay mama to DD1 '07 DD2 '09 and DD3 '12
TTC (DP!) 2 '15
dizzymariposa2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NYsBelle » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:41 am

Thanks for all of the great replies ladies! You've really helped us a lot. I think we are going to register for both the convertible car seat and the infant car seat.

Thank YOU!
Me (Kiersten)- 32; DH (Ross)- 38
Audrey Therese :babyg: 11/06/09 :babyg: 7lbs14.5oz :babyg: breech, c-section at 39w1d
Justin Anthony :babyb: 10/18/11 :babyb: 9lb2oz :babyb: Natural VBAC at 40w2d
Evelyn Marirose :babyg: 5/16/13 :babyg: 6lb 9oz :babyg: Natural VBAC at 40w1d
NYsBelle
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby laurab007 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:49 pm

I loved having the infant seat b/c it's so convenient for getting in and out of the car w/o having to take the baby out. It's great when they're little and they're sleeping b/c you don't have to wake them to take them out. Def get one!
Laura - 43 and still fabulous!
:angel: 1/19/10 M/C 8w5d d&c (triploidy)
No longer TTC

ImageImage

laurab007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sherry2010 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:50 am

seriously, those infant car seats are invaluable, as this isn't my 1st i would completely recommend them. you can pop them in and out of the base, and bring them inside with baby sleeping. no need to wake your child when running errands, and you can pop it right into the stroller/ travel system, which you will see is VERY helpful. worth the $$ IMO. my ds didn't outgrow his, until double the expected time. i think the perego seats, fit baby longer. it was great. with two i DEFINATELY need the infant seats, and then the big ones. after BTDT, i'd never consider anything less.

you could always try and borrow a seat or check out a consignment store if $ is an issue. or if you are having a shower, just ask for one on your registry. GL sherry

PS- we were also told to bring the infant seat into the hospital w/ ds and we did that, and carried him out. i guess they dont wanna be bothered walking to the car if they don't have to, to check your car seat? i guess if they gotto tho, they must!
sherry2010
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MK13 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:46 am

definitely get the infant car seat. I had the Chicco Cortina with the infant seat. If you get that one, get the Keyfit 30 seat. Goes to 30 lbs. I had my little guy in it till he was almost 10 months and then I finally gave up on carrying him around in that thing. There were nights when he was a newborn when he wouldn't sleep in anything else but the car seat! It's so totally worth it!
ME 35
DH 40
DSS 18
DS August 15, 2008 ... 3 weeks early
DS2 March 15, 2010 ... 3 weeks early
baby#3 ... edd 12/21/12 ... u/s at 12 weeks showed no heartbeat ... D&C at 13 weeks 6/14/12

MK13
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Strollers & Travel