Convertible seat for my BIG boy...

Share advice on going places with baby

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Convertible seat for my BIG boy...

Postby Garnergirl » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi ladies! I'd love to have some help, if you get a chance!

I'm having to give up the Chicco Keyfit 30 infant seat (loved it) soon, as my 23 week old son is now 25 pounds.

I've been looking at the Britax models and True Fit, but I want to make sure I'm getting the best products I can for US.

Even though we have five pounds to go before Declan is officially too big for the Chicco, his shoulders are too wide for it, making it unsafe, in my opinion - soon, he won't be able to sit all the back, inside the "wings" of the seat.

So:

We've got Declan's size to think about - it needs to be roomy.

We've got a small car - 4 door Mazda 3. I can never tell how big these seats are from searching online (obviously). I'd love it if it didn't push the front seats forward (while rear-facing) any more than the Chicco.

Price - I'd love to keep it under $250, but when it comes to my child's safety, I'll pay what I have to pay.

Safety - I want the best. The best that I can afford.

So...roomy, but small. Safe, but preferably not a bankbreaker. :) (But again, if you love a seat and know it's safe, please let me know, I'm flexible about cost, not about safety.)

Please throw your opinions and recommendations my way? Thank you so much for your help!!

Donna
Donna: 42 Brad: 38 Married 5.2.09
DS Declan born 5.17.10
DD Delia born 12.28.11

Garnergirl
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby twinboys4me » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:52 am

I'm not speaking from current experience as I'm still pregnant, but my SIL has 2 children still in car seats. The Britax are very nice but they are big. I have a friend who has a Radian and LOVES it. Her son is a chunky monkey and he fits great and the car seat while roomy doesn't eat up her car. Maybe give that a look.

Here is a link to the one she has. http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Radian65-Convertible-Granite/dp/B002OC72SU/ref=pd_cp_ba_0
twinboys4me
Star Member
Star Member

Postby stefanielynn » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:57 am

We have the Evenflo Symphony 65. It goes rear-facing up to 35lbs, then can be used forward facing with the harness from 20-65 lbs. After that, it can be used as a booster up to 100lbs. It's largish, but not too bad. It looks like we'll be able to keep DSs seat in the center and put the new baby's carrier on one of the sides in our Honda Accord.

The things I like best are how long he can stay in the harness--he's 4-years-old and just over 40lbs now. I also like that the headrest is adjustable. He's very tall, so we have problems with him outgrowing seats lengthwise long before the weight becomes a problem. I also love the infinite straps--no rethreading needed, you can just move the straps up and down to the correct position.

It cost us $200 at BRU, but I've heard it can be found for less online.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Garnergirl » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:40 am

Thanks so much for your responses, ladies. I ended up getting the Britax Marathon 70. Right now it's sitting in our living room because my husband's back it out (poor baby) but I'll update here about how it fits in our Mazda and how it fits my son.

Thanks again!
Donna: 42 Brad: 38 Married 5.2.09
DS Declan born 5.17.10
DD Delia born 12.28.11

Garnergirl
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Strollers & Travel