First flights--equipment question x-posted

Share advice on going places with baby

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

First flights--equipment question x-posted

Postby Skeely » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:28 am

I am cross-posting this in the Babies forum because I see there isn't much traffic over here.

Somebody please help me out--I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of this. We are planning 2 trips and I don't know how to deal with the gear on the airplane and beyond. My DD will be 5 and 6 months respectively when we plan to travel. I do not think we will be traveling with a car seat because she will be in a convertible by then since she is about to grow out of her infant basket style one.
First trip my question is, if I wheel her to the airplane gate in an umbroller type stroller, will I have to pay the checked bag fee to have them store the stroller? I could also wear her through the airport in her Ergo but then we will not have a stroller at our destination. We will have to have my grandma buy a new car seat to come to pick us up I guess, since I do not see that it is practical to carry a convertible on the plane.
Second trip is a professional conference and the closest airport is 30 miles from our destination city, but there is a shuttle bus that runs between them. Again, we will not have a car seat (but that is OK because we will not have a car) but can I bring a baby on a shuttle bus? What are the rules for babies and buses? And, what about the airport shuttle buses that run from long term parking or between terminals? Can you carry a baby in arms, stroller or soft carrier on those? You would think I would remember if I had ever seen a baby on one of those things but I don't.

I would appreciate any advice and tips from seasoned mommy travelers.
Skeely
Angel
Angel

Postby Beegee » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:03 am

Hey Audrey!

Alright, so in my experience, here's what I'm thinking:
-You won't have to pay any checked-bag-fees for airlines to store your stroller. You can wheel her right up to the plane and then they take your stroller and throw it in the belly of the plane right before take-off. The only nuisance is waiting for them to get it out after the flight, and the stroller may be a little banged up. But if it's an umbrella type stroller, it won't matter anyways... I just worry about an expensive fancy stroller, in which case you could get a protective bag for it (or a carseat if you were to change you mind and bring one of those with you).

-Wearing the baby at the airport is awesome; you don't have any of the cumbersome baby gear to pick up after the flight... when we went to Greece, it was great bc we zipped past everyone with strollers and could use stairs/escalators instead of lining up for elevators, shuttle buses, lineups, etc. HOWEVER, Adelaide is going to be a good weight by the time she's 5 or 6 months and even with the best baby carrier, you're bound to feel the weight on your body after potentially hours of having her strapped to you! A stroller might be a nice break.

-I totally, totally, TOTALLY recall seeing babies in strollers on shuttle buses at the airport, and even on city buses, so I'm sure that won't be a problem! The only thing that's weird is that, with cars, we're so conditioned to strapping our babies into hardcore, rear-facing carseats with 5-point-harnesses, etc., and then to not strap them in on a bus ride for 30 miles to your destination city seems bizarre, right? Maybe you could call the airport customer service and double check for that shuttle?

Good luck!
Me: 35, DH: 36. DD1 born June 18th, 2010. DD2 born April 12th, 2012. Baby #3 EDD Sept 16, 2014:)
Beegee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Skeely » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks Lee! I didn't see your response here until just now. Come to think of it I guess I have seen all the strollers waiting at the gate on previous trips.

Yep, she is getting heavy for the carrier! I love it but it sure is a lat workout. I may have to have both (carrier and stroller.)
Skeely
Angel
Angel

Return to Strollers & Travel