Car seat and airplane travel

Share advice on going places with baby

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby cao » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:05 am

thanks for the string. this is very helpful. i'll be traveling with DD during Christmas for the first time when she'll be around 4 months old. i've been lamenting about this already!

a girlfriend of mine travels with her DD all the time, and she puts the baby in a baby bjorn, and then checks the stroller and car seat. she did say the gate check process was a little burdensome b/c she often travels w/o DH, and has to lug that stuff by herself. so i may just check the stoller (i registered for a chicco travel system), and make sure to buy a travel cover for it. and then actually gate check the car seat ~ i already registered for the car seat cover in the PP above.
me (35), DH (35) TTC #1 for 18 months
DUE AUGUST 4th ... Charlotte Adenike ARRIVED JULY 28TH!!

cao
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby obxgirl » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:53 am

ahh...just the thread i was looking for. i'm traveling with my 5 month old from NC to CO in a few weeks...and i'm doing it solo (without dh). you don't need a cover to check it do you? i was thinking of just pushing it along and gate checking...

i have a chicco system too...but actually, we really never use a stroller at this point. guess I'd better practice. i'm more interested in bringing the stroller so that i have it to push the car seat around in ..instead of trying to carry it through the airport!
Noah Ryder: born 11/13/08 (his due date)....21 inches and 7lbs 7.7oz!

8 week heartbeat 176! : )
19.5 weeks.... It's a BOY!!!!!
Elias Xavier born 3/24 at 10:53AM! : )
8lbs 0.1oz and 22.5 inches long

obxgirl
Addicted
Addicted

Postby cao » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:52 am

you don't need a cover for the stoller to check it. but i want to make sure it's protected from damage & icky airport/plane germs when it gets thrown in with the rest of the luggage :D
me (35), DH (35) TTC #1 for 18 months
DUE AUGUST 4th ... Charlotte Adenike ARRIVED JULY 28TH!!

cao
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby obxgirl » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:17 am

do most people bring the car seat base too....or do you just go through the hassle of using the seat without the base once you arrive? I'm thinking of trying to do this...but it seems like it might be more difficult without the base (although a pain to travel with the base!)
Noah Ryder: born 11/13/08 (his due date)....21 inches and 7lbs 7.7oz!

8 week heartbeat 176! : )
19.5 weeks.... It's a BOY!!!!!
Elias Xavier born 3/24 at 10:53AM! : )
8lbs 0.1oz and 22.5 inches long

obxgirl
Addicted
Addicted

Postby kel_bel » Thu May 21, 2009 11:37 am

What do you bring for your LO's to sleep in? I'm planning on traveling to FL, have my carseat/stroller combo, car seat base & pack-n-play! Can I gate check all of this? lol
Me 32 DH 37
DD born 1-27-09 (36 wk gest.)

Image Image
kel_bel
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Sweetie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:52 am

We just got back from going to Florida with our 17 month old. We checked her car seat; bought the $20 cover from BRU for her Britax Marathon. We were flying Northwest/Delta and there is no charge to check the car seat. We brought our Chicco Cortina stroller and gate checked it. Everything worked our great! The stroller was right there when we got off the plane. It was so nice having the bigger stroller, even with a toddler! Like PP, it was nice to have a tray for her snacks and cup as well as a more comfy ride to take naps in while we were out and about, especially at Sea World. I'm super glad we checked the car seat, too, becuase I couldn't imagine lugging that thing through the airport. Poor DH's shoulder was killing him just the short time we carried it. Two suitcases, a carseat, and a stroller plus carry-ons is a lot to lug around! :)

Next spring when we travel she'll be over two, so we'll have to buy her a seat and we'll most likely bring her carseat on the plane, just to keep her "contained." :) It'll be interesting then, cuz we'll still need the stroller, too. Ah well, everything always works itself out! ;)

Happy traveling, all! 8)
Me (Beth)- 28 :love: DH (Chris)- 33
ImageImage

ImageImage
Sweetie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kel_bel » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:01 am

Hi Sweetie, thanks for the info and I'm glad your traveling went so well! Seaworld is a great place to visit, I hope Addison enjoyed it too!

I see that you are Tigers and State fans! Same here, small world :) My DH graduated from MSU and is a die-hard Spartan! Go State!
Me 32 DH 37
DD born 1-27-09 (36 wk gest.)

Image Image
kel_bel
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Sweetie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:36 pm

kelbel- Sea World was a ton of fun! Addison actually was "in-tune" with what was going on and we had a blast watching her reactions to all the animals! :) It was mega hot down there, but we made do!

Yes we are very loyal state fans around here. :) DH and I actually both went to Western, but we've always been State fans. We have season tickets to football and try to make a b-ball game here and there.

Nice to meet you! Your LO is adorable! ;)
Me (Beth)- 28 :love: DH (Chris)- 33
ImageImage

ImageImage
Sweetie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Previous

Return to Strollers & Travel