Is it possible to conceive with IUI doing IVF first time

Come join in if you are pregnant after going through infertility treatments (IUI, IVF)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Is it possible to conceive with IUI doing IVF first time

Postby benney » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:49 pm

Does anyone think its possible to conceive with IUI after needing IVF to conceive the 1st time.

A little background. We tried IUI after trying for several years on our own, we did 3 IUI's with clomid and they didnt work. Unexplained Infert. A little further back, I had a fibroid removed surgically in 2001 which prompted me after the 3 failed IUI's to go in for laproscopy to find out if anything was wrong, they found a ton of scar tissue, removed what they could, and one blocked tube. Said I had a 1% chance of conceiving naturally. Said I would need IVF. Did IVF twice, 1st time failed, 2nd time resulted in my beutiful DS. We want another child but IVF is very expensive and are still paying for the last one. I was thinking of trying IUI again except with injectibles not clomid. That is was my RE wanted to try after the previous IUI's failed but I chose to do the laproscopy to find out whats wrong, ended up going to a different RE for the IVF's. So I never tried IUI with injectables and wonder if it would work. Havent been back to see my RE to find out what he thinks yet.

What does everyone think?
benney
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby 27jillfinallypreggo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:46 am

it may be worth a shot. I concieved #1 with IVF after 2 failed IUIs because I was just sick of the process. But #2 came along as a suprise naturally which I thought would have been impossible. So, it may be possible. For me, I would weigh the costs and it may be worth it to try it once or twice. Plus its a lot easier than IVF.
me-31, DH-31, 18 months TTC #1
Chemcial Pregnancy April 2008
IVF #1--bfp, 6dp5dt.
Jada Lauren 9/25/09
Breastfeed for 16 1/2 months.
1/18/2011--SUPRISE Bfp! (on my second PP cycle)
William Michael 9/22/11
27jillfinallypreggo
Angel
Angel

Postby niclet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:30 am

I say go for it! IUI is much cheaper than IVF for sure. Even though you had/have a blocked tube, you also have a good one. If you have a good RE he will make you do the trigger when the eggs on the good side are mature. We had a successful IUI after an ectopic ;0) Also, my hubby's brother was a tube tied baby......his mom had BOTH tubes cut, tied, & burned and got preggo....I say it can work! Good luck to you.
My DD at 11 weeks 3 Days. I love this US pic!

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
niclet
Angel
Angel

Postby BrandyJ. » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:48 am

It's happened to me, however my IVF resulted in a chemical. Got pg with iui after that bc I refused to go through IVF again. I've also had success with iui prior to IVF.

Now, I'm pregnant for free!! Not planned, trying to prevent.. Ha! It's comical.
Me-38 DH-32 DD#1 (12), DD#2(3), DS (16 months/14 adjusted)
4 sweet angels
Formally known as "brandylovesal"
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker</span></div>
BrandyJ.
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lami » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:04 pm

I was wondering the same thing. Although I did try injects with IUI and it didn't work the first time, I only did one cycle of that.

My History I have PCOS, so I need help to ovulate. I tried 3 rounds of clomid, one with IUI, and then 1 round of injects and IUI, then we were gearing up for another IUI but I had a cyst on my ovary from the stims and had to go on BCP, so they said why not just do next cycle as IVF so we did, and resulted in my darling DS. I guess I wonder when we are ready for number two if giving IUI another shot would be worth it, as ppl said it is cheaper and I think much easier b/c their is no ER/ET. However you have to factor the cost of multiple IUIS if they are BFN, Vs one IVF cycle which has a much higher probability of working, KWIM?
I also have a friend who had 4 IUIS all BFN, they only have about 10-15% chance of working where IVF is almost 50%, sometimes more. The issue with IUI is you can see the follicles on the U/S but you cannot tell if there are eggs in them, you could potentially be doing an IUI with no eggs. In my IVF I had 40 follicles, and only 12 eggs..you just dont know. HTH
ITS A BOY
10/18/10

lami
Angel
Angel

Postby kierann » Thu May 12, 2011 8:30 pm

If it were me, I would try IUI first. I was so eager to get pregnant and due to my age I wanted to go straight to IVF after 1 failed IUI. I was on clomid only that cycle. My RE suggested IUI again and I am so thankful because it worked. He said 4 IUIs gives the same odds as 1 IVF for my age. I think a lot of depends on the fertility problems you are having. It is so much cheaper and so much easier on your body that it is at least worth a try.
Me 40 DH 41 TTC #1 Since Feb 09 Me - Elevated FSH After CCT DH - 5% morphology 2/10 - Failed Clomid/IUI Cycle 4/10 - Femera/Follistim BFP!!! Due Date 12/24/2010 Baby Girl Born 12/22/10 6 lbs 13 oz Natural BFP May 2011 Miscarriage at 8weeks 4 days
kierann

Return to Pregnant after Infertility Treatments