Preemie birth stories and beyond

For new mommies with preemie babies

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Preemie birth stories and beyond

Postby Cindy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:04 am

Please share your story about how you came about having your preemie. I want to make it a sticky!
Last edited by Cindy on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cindy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby nauticaboo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:17 am

I'll go first!

My preganancy with Desi was pretty much a breeze. I didn't have any symptoms, except for peeing a lot (and some spotting, but I had spotted all of the 32 cycles it took to get PG with Desi, and my progesterone was fine, and no placental problems). I probably would have been one of those ones that didn't even know I was pregnant, if I hadn't done IUI and wasn't being followed, LOL.

Anyways, when I was about 23-24 weeks, I got sick. It was a respiratory something, but I didn't go to the doctor because I wasn't going to pay for them to tell me I could only take Tylenol. I had lingering congestion and was feeling run down for about a week. On Friday March 20, everything went away, and I was feeling WONDERFUL! I cleaned my apartment from top-to-bottom, and I even scrubbed down the walls with a Magic Eraser, lol. One of the girls in my TTC BG had had her DD at 25 weeks a year before, and I remember thinking "I couldn't imagine if my water were to break right now......"

Saturday, March 21, I was 25 weeks exactly. In the morning, I felt a little "trickle", and thought I was going to pee on myself, so I went to the bathroom. After I peed, a little more trickled out, and I thought it was jst my bladder emptying itself more. After a couple more times of that, I tried to smell it. It didn't have a sweet odor, like everyone said it does, but it didn't smell like pee so at that point I knew it had to be amniotic fluid. I called the on call doc to see what I should do, and when I got up to get dressed, that's when a huge gush came.

I woke up Desi's Dad to take me to the ER that is right around the corner from my house. They didn't have a NICU, so they had to ambulance me to the hospital that I would've been delivering at anyways (which coincidentally, is right around the corner from my job, so if my water had broken there, I would've been closer! :lol: ). I wasn't contracting or anything, my cervix was still unchanged, and they didn't detect any infections. They told me that most women go into labor within 24-72 hours of their water breaking, and if they passed that, then chances are that they could go a lot longer. I passed that 72 hours up, and was going on two weeks. I was scheduled for NSTs twice a week and BPP every other week.

It was also discovered that I had GD. After almost 2 weeks of being on bedrest with no complications or scares, I was finally confident enough that I'd be in the hospital for a while longer. Earlier in the day I had taken the GD class, and when I got back I decided to unpack my clothes and put them in the drawers. Well of course as luck would have it, I started spotting that night. Desi's Dad was right around the corner and I called to tell him that I was spotting, and argued with him to just go home (about 40 minutes away) because I wasn't contracting or anything.

A few hours later, I started bleeding, like a heavy period. They checked my cervix and everything was ok, but they still sent me to an L&D room anyways, just in case. At that point, they kept me on a monitor and I no longer had bathroom priveleges. I bled tons all night, and the next morning, but I wasn't having any ctx, and my cervix was still closed. Probabaly about 2 or 3 PM the next day, I started having some minor ctx. Desi wasn't in distress, and my cervix was still closed, so they gave me a shot of Brethline to calm the ctx. It worked, and the bleeding slowed down a little. They scheduled me for an u/s, and as long as everything looked fine with Desi, they were going to send me back to bedrest, despite the placental abruption. I had the u/s, and everything looked fine. While I was waiting for the docs to review the u/s, the ctx started back up. They gave me another shot of Brethline, which didn't work. So probably about about 30 minutes after my last cervical checked, they checked me again, and I was already 8 cm dilated and 100% effaced! 8O They pretty much had enough time to get the room ready for her arrival, and she was born vaginally after about 3 pushes. even though I had been bleeding tons for about 24 hours, I didn't need a tranfusion or anything.

Desi's story to be continued, LOL....
Andrea & Kale - 28
DSS (7) and his half brother (4)

BFP after 32 cycles on 1st IUI with only 4 million post wash sperm count!

pPROM @ 25 weeks
Born on 4/3/09 @ 27 weeks (placental abruption) 2 lbs 5 oz, 14 in

ImageImage

nauticaboo
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Cindy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:28 am

I`m going to copy and paste this lol..it`s too long.

Here is my story about my abruption and PROM due to the bleeding causing my water to break.

http://myabruptionstory.blogspot.com/ is my blog I kept during it..but here is the summary

At 13 weeks I posted here that I had had some brown spotting. I was assured that it was only old blood and not to worry. I had not been dtd or anything of that sort either. It went away that day so I didn`t think anything else of it.

At 15 weeks I woke up in the middle of the night and had a large gush of brown blood...still old blood but there was about half a cup so I went to the emergency room. They didn`t do an ultrasound, only a pelvic exam and told me that my cervix was still closed and in great condition, but that I would likely lose the baby at to go home and come back if there was more bleeding

Everynight after that I spent the night in the emergency room bleeding. I was really only getting one big gush of blood during the night. It was slowly turning more red everytime. Then at around 17 weeks, I was having 3-4 big bleeds a day...somedays more. I had an ultrasound over 2 hours away and they told me that there was more blood in my uterus than baby and amniotic fluid. They said that they could not find the end of it. I was also told that I was having another girl :D

Come 18 weeks, I woke up in the middle of the night and was in so much pain. I thought I had actually been stabbed. I was staying with my parents then with my 2 year old and I went and woke them up. I couldn`t see as I walked down the hall holding my back. I told them something was wrong and I needed to go to the hospital right away. I then fainted as I was sitting on the stairs trying to scoot my bum down the stairs. I came too in the chair in the kitchen with everyone in my family standing around me. I could see again and was just in a lot of pain. I said I was fine and I just was REALLLLLy thirsty. I started hearing my heart beat in my head, and started to black out again. I heard ringing in my ears and my heartbeat was speeding up, I could see it pulsing a blackish red in my eyes..light with every beat! I was in so much pain. I was trying to walk to the car and I fainted again. Blood was soaked through my pants even though I was wearing 3 maternity pads at this time.

I get to the hospital and I`m crying in pain. They hook my up to the monitors and are all running around, calling different doctors, the or, my new ob. They kicked my parents out of the room, they gave me an iv and put a few of those hospital pad sheet things underneath me..which they were changing every few minutes.

I know I am bad for not thinking of the baby, but I was in so much pain. After 5 minutes, I ask and they say she is dead and they need to get me into the O.R as soon as possible. They give me a crapload of morphine through the iv and its not helping. I feel warm blood gushing out of me with every contraction which were back to back. I felt like I had to push and my body did. I couldn`t stop it. For 10 minutes I was rolling around in pain grabbing at my back. It really was so much worse of a pain than labor ever could be. My doctor had just arrived and I asked about the baby. They told her she was dead, but I demanded she check...even if it meant that they were losing precious time. .....and there it was..the beautiful sound of her heart beating...They were all in shock. They couldn`t believe that I was losing so much blood and she was alive.

I was admitted to stay for the rest of my pregnancy that night.

I was monitored pretty closely and kept very drugged up for the next two weeks as they waited for her to pass on. I was told there was no chance of her survival.

THEN during an ultrasound, the tech tells me the sex of the baby, which I already knew..but she wouldn`t show me the screen and they are not allowed to tell you the sex here. I could see the pity in her eyes. My doctor came in and told me that at some point, my water had broken. I had no fluid left in there. That I should terminate that day. I refused and the next day I was sent to another hospital where my home would be for 8 more weeks. Everyday in there my doctor told me that I wouldn`t end up with a baby. Ultrasounds all of the time. They kept me there only to BABYSIT me they told me..since I wouldn`t let them take her. They needed my permission and I wouldn`t give it. They wouldn`t stop labor if I went in labor, and they wouldn`t give me antibiotics or anything to help prolong my pregnancy. I was the only one besides the women on this board fighting for my girl!

At 23 weeks, I started contracting bad. I was starting to get a bladder infection, which I was told that would put me into labor. I just needed 3 more days until I got the steroid shots and they would save her. I then asked to see the dentist. I knew if I got wisdom teeth pulled that I would get antibiotics, and that that could help stop the contracting. After lots of begging to the dentist, she pulled 4 teeth from me while I was awake. OUCH! But I got my antibiotics and sure enough, I stopped contracting long enough to get my shots
Cindy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Cindy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:29 am

So lots more abrupting, lots more pain and bleeding. I was about 3 cups a day...(they measured it) some days quite a bit more. I got ultrasounds daily, nsts, doppler checks, and blood pressure checks. Bloodwork and tonnes of drugs daily. My blood pressure usually hung out around 80/40 near coma pressure. I was on the max dose for iron (equivalent to 11 a day for the strongest one you can buy in the drug store) My hemoglobin sometimes as low as 60 (40 you are dead I read somewhere) I was a pharmacy at this point. Ativan, trifferix, collace, morhine, dilaudids, demerol, gravol and tonnes of IVs. I think that I recieved 12 blood transfusions in total. Image
I passed clots the size of my fist, I contracted for weeks at a time. I failed nsts and got put npo many times. Babies heartrate dropped down in the 50s for 7 minutes at one time. I got put on all 4s and oxygen to my face to bring her hr back up.
I even passed a dead piece of my placenta at 27 weeks.

So much blood all of the time. I never stopped bleeding. Would go through 2-3 bags of maternity pads a day. My fluid one day was back up to one pocket of 5 cm.

(poor bracey with no fluid around her to stretch out in or swallow to make her lungs expand)Image

Up until 26 weeks, they pushed me to terminate my baby.

My vision was going, I was getting dumber by the day. I was tired..I missed my 2 year old who was 2 hours away with my parents. I hardly had the energy to get out of bed to use the washroom or shower. I stayed strong though and kept pushing on for my baby. EVERY single day, I was told I wouldn`t make it another few days.

Then at 27w6d, I knew my time had come. Off to labor and delivery I went. The baby had failed a number of nst and was having huge decelerations on the nst. I was still contracting (the prior 4 weeks I was contracting every 3-15 minutes apart usually reading 40-60 on the monitor. Still every contraction pushing more blood out. The janitors there hated me as they were always cleaning up my blood.

ANYWAYS..in labor and delivery, I was down there for nearly 2 days without being allowed to eat. I was soaking everything with blood, but she was being monitored and was doing okay. It was me who wasn`t. I was in so much pain and was so weak. I got hydromorph through the iv quite a few times and was so used to the pain by the time the new shift came on. The doctor came in and was like, you are in labor. I said to her, no I`m not. I always contract. She said no look you are in labor...my contraction was at 98 when I looked at the toco reading. I agreed to let her check me and she started rushing to get me into the OR. (she was breach)

In the OR, at 28w1d, I sat there behind the sheet waiting for my preemie to be born. It was so scary. But a few minutes later, I heard my 28 weeker screaming. Turns out my placenta was 3/4 of the way separated and there was a clot behind it bigger than the placenta..bigger than the baby. They don`t know how we lived,,but we did.

Bracey was born weighing 2lbs 10 ounces. At her smallest, she was 1lb 14 ounces. We had our ups and downs obviously in the nicu, but she didn`t require oxygen for 3 weeks. The longer you labor, the more chemicals your body releases to mature your baby. She came home 11 weeks later, weighing 6lbs 10 ounces.

She got to be fully breastfed at 20 weeks old, and is now nearly 10 months old, way ahead of her corrected age for development (where she should be) She is 21 lbs right now! A big girl! She has dimples and her hair has grown back where they put IVs in her head. She had only one transfusion during her stay.

The only long term issue she has is BPD which is lung disease due to prematurity. She was a little deformed when she was born and is still in physio to this day to make sure she can straighten her arms and legs and neck. She is doing well

But the points of this story are as follows. 1) Stand up for yourself. Be your own and your babies advocate! Ask questions and demand answers.
2) Doctors are people too, and can be wrong sometimes.
3) I couldn`t have gotten through this without my due date club ( I know I didn`t speak much of them, but this is long enough as it is)
4) You ARE stronger than you think you are! You CAN get through anything!!! Have faith in your body even when it appears to be failing you.

and 5) my first doctor knew I had issues and didn`t tell me. She thought nature would take its course. Even after 5 hospital visits..she told me bleeding is normal in pregnancy and never gave me a reason...when she knew what was going on. I could have died because of her. Thankfully after 5 trips to the emergency room, I switched doctors.

Is bleeding during pregancy normal?...it is NOT...always demand a reason for the bleeding. If they can`t find one..make them look harder.

Sorry for the long story. I just figure most of you here now don`t know me, and don`t know why I`m so stubborn about somethings and so passionate about things. Why I always pipe in when there is bleeding or someones water broke early. Why I always say better safe than sorry. There isn`t always blood with an abruption. This is why I always follow the preemies too.

Which reminds me. We have a preemies forum which I encourage you to ask ANY questions you may have there. We won`t bite.

If you ever have any questions for me personally, please feel free to pm me. I may not have answers, but you have my support. There is so much more to my story and even more to Braceys...but I figured I would leave that part out for now

As for me. My vision went really bad during this and well, I`m not near as smart. For being so low in blood so often, I apparently did not get enough oxygen to my brain so these are permanent effects. So please please please..if you bleed, go in and demand answers. ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry.
Cindy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby nauticaboo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:47 am

Desi was 2 lbs 5 oz, and 14 inches. Apgars 8/9. Even though she was without amniotic fluid for 2 weeks, and then had to deal with the bleeding for 24 hours, she was born without needing a vent or surfactant.

Amazingly, she pretty much took off and never looked back. She had jaundice, so was under the lights for a few days, and she also needed caffeine for a little while for her A's & B's (apnea and bradycardia - not breathing, and heart stopping), but she was off of it after about a week.

She did have to have CPAP for 1 day, and then she was on a canula with oxygen, and then room air. She was off all breathing assitance before 28 weeks. She was moved from an incubator to an open air crib 2 days shy of 31 weeks. She took her first bottle feed by mouth at 33 weeks. She was released at 36.5 weeks (at 5 lbs 12 oz).

Feeding was by far the most trying time for us in the NICU. Even though she took her first feed by mouth at 33 weeks, it was another 2 weeks, befire she was taking ALL of her feeds by mouth (a requirement for her realse was 48 hours of taking all feeds by mouth). They started off with about every other feed. Sometimes she'd do 2 or 3 in a row, but then for the 4th feed, she'd tire out and need to be tube fed, so that would start the timer all over again. Also, she had something called "peanut butter tongue" (also known as oral defensiveness), where she'd keep her tongue stuck to the roof of her mouth (to prevent "foreign objects" from entering). So this made even bottle feeding extremely hard, so BF'ing was out of the question at that time (but I was still EP'ing). Then after we got the bottle feeding down and they switched the Human Milk Fortifier to formula 9to prepare for her realease in a day or two), she developed bloody and mucousy stools, which prolonged our stay even more (for almost 2 weeks until insurance decided that they were going to kick her out against doctor's wishes because they hadn't determined a cause yet) because they had to run tests and rule out everything before they could send her home. So if it weren't for all of the feeding issues that cropped up, she'd probably have been released at 35 weeks.

Since her realease, she has been almost perfect. She hasn't had colic, or reflux, or anything else. She did get RSV/bronchiolitis back in December (before she'd had her first RSV shot - again, insurance issues :roll:), but since then hasn't had so much as a cold. She does have wheezing issues and is on a nebulizer daily, but I attribute that more to the fact that she has a strong family history of asthma (her Dad had it as a kid, and her older brother has it so bad, he gets hospitalized on average once per month for it). We have a program called Help Me Grow that provide Early Intervention services until she turns 3, so we had a physical therpaist come out once per month until recently, and now that she's older and we can see the need for certain things, we've also added a speech therapist and occupational therapist to come out once or twice per month also.
Andrea & Kale - 28
DSS (7) and his half brother (4)

BFP after 32 cycles on 1st IUI with only 4 million post wash sperm count!

pPROM @ 25 weeks
Born on 4/3/09 @ 27 weeks (placental abruption) 2 lbs 5 oz, 14 in

ImageImage

nauticaboo
Addicted
Addicted

Postby aussieangel » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:35 am

..... i hardly know what to say. You women are amazing! I will never complain about anything in this pregnancy ever again!.... Just.. Amazing!

And Caidsmomma... Your story brought me to tears and I was gasping outloud! ... I admire your determination and willpower. Just incredible..
Me 27 DH 31 DS 8 DD 5 and Mikey! 09/09/10
Diagnosed IU at 25wks. Nifedipine to prevent PTL. Betamethasone given at 26wks. Off Bed Rest at 29wks. Delivered 32.3wks because of PROM then CXS + Breech presentation = Emergency C-Section. NICU for 4 weeks.
aussieangel
Angel
Angel

Postby Cindy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:48 am

aussieangel wrote:..... i hardly know what to say. You women are amazing! I will never complain about anything in this pregnancy ever again!.... Just.. Amazing!

And Caidsmomma... Your story brought me to tears and I was gasping outloud! ... I admire your determination and willpower. Just incredible..

Oh it`s not me :D It`s all Bracey Bear!

And if that typed out version got you, read the blog ;) I heard that that is a killer haha. I haven`t really read it yet..and sort of don`t remember a lot. Too scared to read it.

And complaining during pregnancy is a right! And it makes you feel better haha. Just because our pregnancy sucked, doesn`t make the things that bother you any less bothersome to you, so complain away!

We are good for listening to that too :P

Unless its..okay, I`m 36 weeks and done~! I`ve been walking around forever and having sex blah blah blah..get this baby out! We probably aren`t as open to that complaining haha
Cindy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mom2abandkb » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:49 am

copy and paste here too, too long, from the caringbridge website

My entire pregnancy was not normal. I had hyperemesis and had an IV pump to prevent me from vomiting so much until week 16.

Then I had my first bleed at 9 weeks and was diagnosed with complete placenta previa. I had another big bleed at 19 weeks.

I had another big bleed when I was 28 weeks, after a day and 1/2 of struggling with not feeling right and extremely high blood pressure.

My OB met me at the hospital and admitted me immediately. My pressure had spiked to 180/120 several times, although the bleeding had slowed down. I was moved to a private room in Labor and Delivery and given many different blood pressure medicines every day. If it spiked, I would be a given a shot through the IV to bring it down quickly before I had a stroke.

After trying everything in the book, I was moved to the ICU on a blood pressure medicine IV quick drip. I was attached to a bunch of monitors and my blood pressure was taken every 15 minutes. After 3 days in the ICU, I stabilized enough to be moved back to Labor and Delivery.

The following days and nights in the hospital were long, scary, and lonely. When my blood pressure would spike, I knew right away because I would get a bad headache, nausea, chest and back pain. I always had to ring for a nurse when I started feeling like that. I also had two more big bleeds while in the hospital.

I was put on strict bedrest and was not even allowed outside my room except for 1/2 in the wheelchair. I was so tired and weak from all the meds and fighting the uncontrollable high blood pressure.

My OB didn't know what to do with me. He even called former college buddies 11 at night to see if they had any advice. One said to check for an adrenal tumor that might be causing my severely high blood pressure. That came back negative. My bloodwork kept coming back worse and my urine starting having more protein in it which was a sign of not only pre eclampsia, HELLP. My platelets dropped, and my liver functions got worse and my OB Dr. Thompson and my specialist Dr. Patel and all the nurses agreed that it was time to get the baby out. I was 30 weeks and 2 days pregnant.

Also, the night before I was given one last ultrasound and I was found to have vasa previa in addition to Pre E and HELLP. That meant that Kiran's blood vessels were on the outside of the amniotic sac and she could have bled to death.

I was put on magnesium sulfate twice which made me so sick with a migraine, and nausea, and just feeling plain miserable. The magnesium was given to prevent a stroke or seizure from my pressure being so high. As soon as the doctors decided it was time, I was put back on that again. So, in addition to being scared out of my mind of how the baby would be, and how the Cesarean section would go, I just felt so ill and so sick.

Kiran was monitored throughout and always looked good. Her weight was a bit low, but other than that she looked great. She was always moving, kicking, punching and her heart looked great. It was always so reassuring to feel her move so often even though I was so ill. I loved seeing her so often on the ultrasounds. Every other day she had an ultrasound to check her growth, practicing breathing, movements and other things.

At one scan she was estimated to be about 3 pounds and that got me excited. I was hoping she would be at least 3 pounds if I had to have her soon. Unfortunately, the estimate was a bit off.

Kiran Brahma was born at 9:37PM August 17, 2009, a day before her sister's birthday, and weighed 2 pounds 7 ounces and was 14 1/2 inches long by emergency c section. She had long skinny toes and fingers and lots of dark, black hair on her head. She looked like a mini mini version of Alex. She was born 10 weeks early. She was due October 24, 2009.

After 19 longs day in the hospital, I went home childless and sad and sore and knew that there were longer days ahead for Kiran.

And it slowly began to sink in that I almost died. But, we are both alive and that is what matters and the healing that comes along with all of that.
Lisa-37 dh-33 dd-6
Kiran 8/17/09 2lb 7oz, 14.5 (pre e,HELLP, vp)
Hernia surgery 11/5/09,G tube 7/24/10
130 days NICU- reflux,hypotonia,ptosis,2 meds 2x/day
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kirangoel
Imagehttp://www.marchforbabies.org/MODWalkforKiran
mom2abandkb
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby irishsweetie2003 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:00 am

I have a ton of premie stories. I have three preemies... One at 34 1/2 weeks (not bad, came streight home with no NICU), another that spent 6 weeks in NICU at 29 1/2 weeks (level three cerebral hemorage and ventilor), and finally my last child corn at 28 1/2 weeks that spend 6+ weeks ont he ventilator and 11 weeks in NICU.
I'm now pregnant with my last baby.... She's not due untill Dec 2nd. I'm only 24 1/2 weeks along... But I have already have two bout of preterm labor with her and a positive fetalfibernectin test. So, we're again waiting for the day my water breaks. Once that happens, I do get an infectiont hat can't be controlled until delivery... So, we're tryingt o buy as much time as possible to give her a chance... I already started the steriod shots...
I'd be more than will to share time and stories with anyone who need it.
DH:35&ME: 31 DS 12 DS 9 DS 1 ImageImage
irishsweetie2003
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Preemie birth stories

Postby aussieangel » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:35 am

caidsmomma wrote:Please share your story about how you came about having your preemie. I want to make it an announcement so it stays. Also so we can bring this forum back to life

Yes Please? Sticky/Announcement on this thread so it's not lost to the auto-prunner?
Diagnosed IU at 25wks. Nifedipine to prevent PTL. Betamethasone given at 26wks. Off Bed Rest at 29wks. Delivered 32.3wks because of PROM then CXS + Breech presentation = Emergency C-Section. NICU for 4 weeks.
aussieangel
Angel
Angel

Postby irishsweetie2003 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:17 am

1st preemie at 34 1/2 weeks
I was 18 when I found out I was pregnant... A one shot, one kill deal with a guy I started dating just before he left for the ARMY. He had sex once, I was on birthcontol, and I got pregnant....

All was well untill about 25 weeks when I started contracting. I guess going to school full time and working 3rd shift at the Donut Shop was too much. So, my Midwife restricted me to just school and home. (Given tributaline, one shot and it stopped).

I did a lot of cleaning to earn my keedp at home with my mom. I guess this and the strain of the GED test sent me into premature labor contractions again. This time I was given tributaline, stayed over night and sent home with brethine. I was maybe 30 weeks att his time.

Then at 34 1/2 weeks, in the middle of the night, I popped a few brethine pills to make the cramping go away, but it didn't work. It felt worst and I felt like i had to be on the toilet all the time. (Steriodal shots for lungs).

A big glob of mucus with what looked like a blood clot, came out. I showed my mom and she told me it was my mucus plug. We timed my contractions and they were every 5 min, so we got up my boyfriend who was back from Basic Training, and headed for the hospital...

My mom's car broke down a few blocks away.... So, we had to backtrack for my boyfriend's car.... Driving to the hospital, I hit a hard bump and my water just started gushing out like a warm waterhose going crazy....

I got into the hospital and was 3cm diolated.... Sense I had taken brethine, my cervix was having a hard time budging... We let me naturally labor for 48 hours before we did blood work and found out my blood cell count was elivated. I was getting an infection.

So we started patossin... I was scared... This was my first child, and I was being told that he might not be able to breath when he comes out. about 24 hours later on the patossin I made it to 9cm but was stuck there.... The midwife had me attempt to push, but it caused me to go back to 8cm....

We upped the Patossin and I finally diolated to a stretchy 9cm... The midwife helped the cervix stretch over the baby's head and I pushed him out in 5 min because I wouldn't rest. I even blew out a blood vessle in my eye pushing...

My 34 1/2 week preemie was 5# 10 oz... 20 1/2 inches long... He came out screaming and ready to eat... My midwife had me nurse him imediately and the NICU team looked him over. All was well.... This time..........
irishsweetie2003
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby irishsweetie2003 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:44 am

29 1/2 week preemie

So, I married that guy I got pregnant with and the marriage was having it's difficulties. I came back from Basic Training because I joined the ARMY and became pregnant only 2 months later.

Pregnancy appeared ormal and there were no concerns of prematurity issues. The Drs and Mifwife said the first one was a fluke....

At 20 weeks I came in for preterm labor...... We used tribualine and that seemed to knowck them out. I went home the next day..

I went into labor again at 24 weeks... This one required a little more care. I went home three days later, only to come back the same night... Brethine, tributaline and Mag..... Boy, you ladies will not like Mag... Feels like your whole body is over heated, your feeling like you've had a stroke, and everything feels like you have a elephant sitting on you. So, after I had to do a u-turn... The Dr decided to keep me int he hospital for a few weeks.

I was in the hospital on my birthday.... I watched the days tick by... I ate, I slept, and was monitored through out on the Mag... I was still contracting, so they kept me on the Mag....

Finally the contractions slowed.... They were going to release me to go home from the hospital. I was reluctant, because even though I didn't feel any contracting, I felt alot of burning and pressure like I had a UTI.... So, they humored me with a urine test.... It came back negative so I started my shower to go home...

Still feeling the funny pressure and like something was off after the shower... I got dressed my the bathroom, and sat down to go pee.... That's when I felt the pop and the constant trickle... I was about 28 weeks......

I tested positive for amniotic fluid and told that I wasn't going home.. (Duhhhhh).... They gave me steriodal shots probably 3 weeks before that.... So I already had that.

I went to labor and delivery where I sat on Magnesium, antibiotics, and brethine..... We were trying to hold him back a few more days.... I started to get an infection anyways and we had to start patossin because I was getting pretty sick...

So, we started the patossin. I was already 3cm diolated.... My water had been broken for about 4 days.... The nurse came in and checked me and I was 6-7cm.... She left thinking she had hours before I would be ready to push. She was wrong. about 15 min later, I got up to go to the bathroom... I flet like I had to have a bowel movement, but it was stuck. Instinctively I checked down below and I felt his head caping.... I placed my hand there andleft the bathroom telling my husband at the time (now X) to get the nurse that the baby was comming. He argued that it was too soon and the nurse said it would be a while before they checked me again... So I paged the nurse.... She said that she had just checked me and I wasn't anywhere near ready to have this baby... I told her that i was holding his head inside with my hand right now and to get her (_I_) in my room with the Dr..

So, she shows up with out the Dr,a nd I told her that if she went to check me and I uncrossed my leggs, the baby will slide out.... She must've thought I was over reacting cause she insisted on me spreading my legs, getting her gloves lubed like she was going in for a deep check.... I had to just let her find out on her own.

I opened my legs and my baby slid out with no pushing.... The nurse was in shock and screaming on the page to get NICU there immediately and call the Dr.... The room went stirr crazy.... The nurse was working on the baby when NICU came bursting through the door....

The Dr came in and assured me the baby was okay because he was getting oxygen from the bloodcord still and they won't cut it till they can get him oxygen to breath....

Finally my baby gave a small cry.... My 3 yr old looked over and said "my baby brother is nasty"..... Oh yeah... no one was watching my 3 yr old and I had to labor with out much help... My (now X) was no help....

They let me kiss him, and let his older brother kiss him and then they rushed him off to NICU....

I was taken to my room to recover... I waiting to hear from NICU... Nothing... I took a shower and decided that I would walk to NICU... I was loosing a lot of blood and was placed on extra fluids and somethign to help me contract better, but I didn't care... I was going to go see my baby...

He was on a ventilator.... Stuggling and had an infection... He had tubes comming out everywhere.... I felt like the worst mom in the world... Why couldn't I have held him back...?

He spent 2 weeks on the ventilator and they were just about to take him off.... Then he had a brain bleed.... Level 3 with fluid on the brain.. My baby strated having problems with nerve spasms..... I was told he will have severe developmental problems and that he may not make it....

The brain bleed dissolved and about a week later he came off the ventilator.... He now was on a nasal cannula..... They started nipple feeding him my breast milk instead of a direct route with a gavage....

It took hima while... He tired out early and needed to be gavaged the rest through a gavage in his nose.

Finally at 6 weeks, he was taking all his feedings and hit the 6# mark...

Born 3# 11oz
dropped to 2# 6oz
Came home at 6#s

We had to struggle some with motor skill development for the first year, but now that little boy is a happy healthy normal 9 almost 10 year old who functions normally in school.... He has no noticable delays at all....
irishsweetie2003
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby irishsweetie2003 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:02 am

28 1/2 weeker

So this was a very challenging one...

New husband, new life.... No longer considered a coincidence... So I was seeing a High Risk Dr...

I had to do IVF to get this one... My first round... DH had problems because of blood pressure and spermal issues....

But, first round, we got our little boy....

I had to have my apendix removed when I was 18 weeks pregnant because a cysts on my ovary ruptured and infecting all the tissue ont hat side of my body....

Then at about 21 weeks I started having preterm labor issues.... I went in and they stopped everything with tributaline....

Another visit at 23 weeks and we used tributaline and it subsided...

At 26 weeks, I stayed in the hospital. I had lost my plug.... I was 2 1/2 cm diolated and my cervix was shortening a little... I stayed there for 2 weeks... (Steriod Shots)
I tested negative for a fetalfibernectin test... The Mag had calmed things, and so they decided to send me home.... I didn't feel right though and told them this and they said I had less then a 5% chance of going into labor because my fetal fibernectin test was negative.... So I went home for Holoween... Gave out candy and helped my older boys get ready...

7 days after my negative test, and with a 5% chance of going... My water broke in the middle of a move.... So, we had to leave our stuff with the movers to store untill I gave birth....

Got to the local hospital and spend 1 1/2 hours being evaluated and shipped via helicopter to the hospital 100 miles away with an NICU....

Got to the distant hospital 2 hours after arriving at the local hospital...
No fluid around the baby.... Baby was laying sideways... 2 hours later I was in for an emergency c-section.... All happened so quickly... My DH and kids were in the L&D room and DH joined me for surgery.

The bay came out and gave a good scream.... for 3 days he didn't need a ventilator, just C-Pap.... Then suddenly his lungs collapsed and he needed tubes in his chest and a ventilator.....

He was on that ventilator for 6-7 weeks.... Gavaged breast milk..... His lungs collapsed twice....

C-Pap for the next 2 weeks.....

Nasal cannula is what he was on when he came home... He breastfed when he got on nasal cannula...

Came off nasal cannula 2 weeks after comming home...

Birth Weight was 2# 14oz
No weight drop....
Came home 11 weeks and 39 1/2 weeks gestation at 8#

Healthy almost 2 year old today with no side effects....
irishsweetie2003
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby irishsweetie2003 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:20 pm

I know there are other preemie moms out there of moms that are worried about having preemies... Maybe we need to open a section for "Questions from Exspectant Moms about Preemies"..... Something like that to open up an area someone can ask questions they are concerned with.
irishsweetie2003
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby aussieangel » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:12 am

irishsweetie2003 - I agree. I asked SO many questions on High Risk thread that I think it could be something that would be re-read by many PTL-risk mommas, if there was a sticky... wip something up if you know how irishsweetie2003... I'm not very computer savy. Lol!
aussieangel
Angel
Angel

Next

Return to Preemies