ATTENTION LURKERS!!

For new mommies with preemie babies

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

ATTENTION LURKERS!!

Postby nauticaboo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:38 am

I saw that the common theme in the other thread was that you all lurk a lot, but are too afraid or don't want to post. Then it leads to a "seemingly" inactive board.

I don't start many threads b/c I'm pretty sure that Desi is one of the older preemies here now, so I don't have as many questions - but I always read and am here to answer any questions, even if it means repeating Desi's birth story for the millionth time, LOL.

So ask away!!!!
Andrea & Kale - 28
DSS (7) and his half brother (4)

BFP after 32 cycles on 1st IUI with only 4 million post wash sperm count!

pPROM @ 25 weeks
Born on 4/3/09 @ 27 weeks (placental abruption) 2 lbs 5 oz, 14 in

ImageImage

nauticaboo
Addicted
Addicted

Postby MK13 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:03 pm

I guess I'm one of the lurkers :) My boys only made it into the premie category by 1 DAY :lol: ... both being born at 36w 6d but they both have their little issues. But I never really post here since I kinda figured this board is for the "seriously premature" babies and not the barely there ones. But I always come and lurk to see how all the little ones are doing.

Anyways, being a mommy of two boys born early, I want to encourage even the mommas of babies born just couple weeks early like mine to ask away ... even these little ones go through their little issues and it helps to have a place to ask. DS1 had some GI issue the first year and since then has been struggling with food allergies and then came speech delay and sensory processing disorder. We'll never know if any of this is a result of born couple weeks early, stress during delivery or just genetic. Same goes for DS2 who has had a bad silent reflux since day 1, was a very slow gainer the first couple of months (though now sky-rocketed to 24lbs at 10.5 months :)) and also has various food allergies. ... so like I said, these are not major issues but still can give any mommy a pretty big headache!
ME 35
DH 40
DSS 18
DS August 15, 2008 ... 3 weeks early
DS2 March 15, 2010 ... 3 weeks early
baby#3 ... edd 12/21/12 ... u/s at 12 weeks showed no heartbeat ... D&C at 13 weeks 6/14/12

MK13
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby nauticaboo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:07 pm

I've found that a lot of people feel the way you do. A preemie is a preemie, no matter how close to the "cutoff" they were born. And like you said, even the ones just born a few weeks early can have delays or issues related to prematurity.
Andrea & Kale - 28
DSS (7) and his half brother (4)

BFP after 32 cycles on 1st IUI with only 4 million post wash sperm count!

pPROM @ 25 weeks
Born on 4/3/09 @ 27 weeks (placental abruption) 2 lbs 5 oz, 14 in

ImageImage

nauticaboo
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Cindy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Oh wow! Great idea! And a day premature is a day premature! Even a 38 weeker can have prematurity issues.

Please all the lurkers, post anything. We are tough mommas with NICU balls. And questions even if you haven`t had a preemie, or have no known risk, are always welcome. You have a friend with a preemie, ask us about anything you don`t understand. You just are concerned because it is always a concern when you are pregnant, so ask away. We won`t bite.

Plus we are so proud of our little and not so little ones. This isn`t just here for severely preemie babies. It`s for everyone who wants to talk about any preemie questions, progress or just to talk to someone who has been there. Some full termers as I said have some common preemie issues and we may have some tricks up our sleeves for those too.

Plus, we love to talk about our babies just as much as the rest of the mommas. If not more because we didn`t get those hospital visits where everyone celebrates the birth of your little one and gets to see them. Most people don`t feel like celebrating the birth of a preemie. So it`s nice to get to talk about them.
Cindy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jamm » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:36 pm

I lurke but I also don't have many questions either. But I would love to put my crazy knowledge of NICU and CCN and everything else under the preemie category to use! It makes me feel better when I can give some advice or even give a mama virtual hug! I will try my hardest to offer advice and will let you know all the new challenges that arise!

My preemies are all older now:

My 1st one at 36 weeks is now 10 8O
My twins at 34 weeks are now going on 8
My third at 32 weeks is now 7
and my last twins at 34weeks 1 day are now 3 1/2

A question....is this section viewable when not logged in? I would love to show off pics but don't want them open to the public so to speak.
Me 30 DH 41
DS:12
DD & DS:9
DD: 8
DD & DS: 4
Jamm
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Cindy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:00 pm

This forum and off topic are the only ones where you have to be logged in to see that they exist and read. Also the GDC but you need to have special permissions to get into it.
Cindy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MK13 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:09 pm

Jamm, interesting how your sets of twins like to come at 34 weeks! (and 34w 1d) ... was that scheduled that way or just happened like with both my boys being 36w 6d?
ME 35
DH 40
DSS 18
baby#3 ... edd 12/21/12 ... u/s at 12 weeks showed no heartbeat ... D&C at 13 weeks 6/14/12

MK13
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jamm » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:26 pm

I don't know the exact number of day with the first set it was 34 weeks and something. Nope not scheduled my first set I went into labor and had a c-section scheduled for the fallowing week so my dr didn't stop it. My second set my water broke around one of the babies at 32 weeks and 5days and the hospital held off labor until 34 weeks and 1 day when it was considered safer out than in.

Thats so crazy that both your boys are 36w 6d!
Me 30 DH 41
DS:12
DD & DS:9
DD: 8
DD & DS: 4
Jamm
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MK13 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:39 pm

Jamm wrote:
Thats so crazy that both your boys are 36w 6d!

yep and both born on the 15th of the month ... makes it easy for daddy to remember the birthdays :lol:
ME 35
DH 40
DSS 18

MK13
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Nat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:58 am

I feel so bad i dont post here often. Great idea though. Desi is adorable :hb:

If not more because we didn`t get those hospital visits where everyone celebrates the birth of your little one and gets to see them. Most people don`t feel like celebrating the birth of a preemie

You're so right. I felt so alone at the hospital while pregnant with Kylie and after her birth. Sure my husband visited after work everyday and stayed til he had to leave but it was very lonely. I got no cards, no flowers, it hurt to see other rooms loaded with flowers and cards and only one friend came to visit even though i had txt all my friends to let them know Kylie arrived, not one reply back. All the cards kylie got came from Canada from hubbys family. I shrug it off but cant deny how disappointed i felt with my family. Heck i would have been happy for a piece of cardboard cut off a box and scribbled giberish on it for a card!
I wasn't even sure i would belong here with Kylie's situation but after reading this thread i realise now i did belong.
Kylie was considered full term @ 38 weeks and her mental development was on track however her size was that of a 30 week old baby as that was when she stopped growing in the womb. I really felt like i failed as a mother to nourish her in the womb and its only taken til now for me to be at peace with it all even if just a little.
DD1 14,DD2 09/29/09,DS 12/17/10
ImageImage
ImageImage
Nat
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Preemies