Stopping progesterone and labor *UPDATE*

For new mommies with preemie babies

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Stopping progesterone and labor *UPDATE*

Postby lousli » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:43 am

*Update in newest post!*

I am currently 36 weeks 1 day with my third, which is the most pregnant I've ever been (yay!) My first was 36 weeks after pPROM with absolutely no other signs/symptoms of ptl and no cervical dilation until after my water broke, although by the time I was first checked at the hospital I was very effaced. My second was 33 weeks after pPROM but only after a stomach flu, dehydration, 4 days of contractions without cervical change, terbutaline and IV (which led to the complication of pulmonary edema and a diuretic.) Only after my water broke did I start having cervical change.

I just had my last progesterone shot on Sunday. Last week at my OB appointment I had a cervical check because I had been noticing more contractions, but I'm not at all effaced and only about 1cm dilated. I have another appointment tomorrow, but I'm not assuming that they have any reason to do a cervical check this time unless I request one, which I don't intend to.

Last night I woke up with painful contractions that were about 6 minutes apart and lasted a couple of hours at least. I have had lots of bh contractions but these were far more intense and it felt like they were menstrual type cramps and/or there was some cervical involvement. I know there was still something going on while I was sleeping because I was having dreams about it including dreaming I had bloody show (which confused me when I woke up and had to check if it was real!) This morning I still feel a little odd and crampy, and have had slightly loose stools.

I'm wondering when is it likely that I'll go into labor after stopping progesterone injections. I've tried to find a study or some information, but all I can find is anecdotal evidence. From that, it seemed that for many women it was about 8 days-2 weeks after, but some went several weeks and a couple were even induced (although it wasn't clear to me if they were actually past their due dates.)

I'm sorry for such a long post, but I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is normal end of pregnancy gearing up, as in I have 3 or 4 more weeks, or if this is more of a signal that I need to start getting ready a little faster.
Last edited by lousli on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
lousli
Angel
Angel

Postby PixieB » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:51 am

I really don't know.
Keep in mind that you could well have prodormal labour (irregular contractions, contractions picking up for a few hours then disappearing to next to nothing again) for a few weeks yet.

It'd still be worth having everything packed and ready to go, but there's no knowing when it will happen for sure.

Good luck! And I hope you can hold out til the full 37 weeks ;)
Talia Grace: born Friday 13th of July, 2007, at 27w4d gestation, 700g/1.5lbs. Nursed for 4 years
and Violet Joy: born Thursday 19th, VBAC waterbirth, 39w2d, 3.35kg/7lbs 6oz, still a booby monster, just shared it with her big sister for 18 months.
http://pics.livejournal.com/littlebutto ... y/0000scpq
PixieB
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lousli » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:53 am

Beatrix was born 9 days after my last progesterone shot!

My water broke and things went quickly after that. She was 37 weeks 2 days and weighed 5 pounds 14 ounces and was 17.7 inches long. We're both home and doing great!
lousli
Angel
Angel

Postby mom2abandkb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:04 pm

Yay congrats on her being healthy and you're both home!
Lisa-37 dh-33 dd-6
Kiran 8/17/09 2lb 7oz, 14.5 (pre e,HELLP, vp)
Hernia surgery 11/5/09,G tube 7/24/10
130 days NICU- reflux,hypotonia,ptosis,2 meds 2x/day
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kirangoel
Imagehttp://www.marchforbabies.org/MODWalkforKiran
mom2abandkb
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jamm » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:57 am

Congrats on your baby girl!
Me 30 DH 41
DS:12
DD & DS:9