high risk but no high risk care? *update*

For new mommies with preemie babies

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

high risk but no high risk care? *update*

Postby swankybich » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:19 am

My oldest son was born at 32 weeks. No reason given other than I was 16yo. 10 years later, I was pregnant with ds2. We lived in Dallas at the time, my OB was fantastic. She put me on P17 shots at week 17-36. I started dilating at week 32 or 33 so I was ordered modified bedrest. I carried him until 39 weeks-induced due to personal/selfish reasons.

Now I live in a tiny, country type of town. There is no NICU here, there are no high risk doctors here. My OB said he would copy what my last OB did with the progesterone shots (he doesn't have them in town, he'd have to order them!) and we'll wait and see with the bedrest. Well my last appt, we scheduled a meetup with a high risk dr an hour and a half away, to 'see how he feels my pregnancy should go'. HUH?! So there's a possibility if this dr says he doesn't feel I "need" the shots that I won't get them?

I didn't ask any questions since my 3yo was pretty restless after the u/s and I just had the upcoming appt on my brain. I'm really nervous to have another premie. I do plan on stressing to the high risk dr this fear and that I do believe the shots helped me go to term.

Has anyone had a premie, then no high risk care for a following or third pregnancy? Or should I make a stink with my OB if the high risk dr says the shots aren't necessary? Would he even care?

TIA & sorry this is so long!!
Last edited by swankybich on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
swankybich
Angel
Angel
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:00 am

Postby MarriedtoaBaritone » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:42 pm

This is our second pregnancy; I went into labor unexpectedly at 26 weeks and delivered her that day, so I have no experience with progesterone shots and bedrest. I fully expect/hope that will be our route with this baby...our OB seems to be taking our high-risk status very seriously.

You are the expert on your body and your baby, so I would push for the shots if I were you and that's what you want.

Sorry I can't be more helpful...just wanted you to know I read your post and sympathize completely.
Melissa (32) and Adam (34)
DD #1: Adeline Laurel, born 6/12/08, due date was 9/18/08
1 pound, 8 ounces//135 days in the NICU
Image

DD #2: Kate Elisabeth
BFP: 1/17/11//EDD: 9/25/11
born by repeat c-section on 9/6/11 (37 weeks + 2 days)
Image
User avatar
MarriedtoaBaritone
Star Member
Star Member
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:00 am
Location: San Antonio, TX

Postby lousli » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:53 pm

I don't see any reason why the high risk doc would not take your history seriously. You did have a preemie and then with your second started dilating at 32 weeks despite being on p17 shots. I think maybe your OB is just looking for reassurance since he doesn't sound like he has experience with high risk pregnancies.

If the high risk doc isn't in agreement that you should have the p17 shots, I think you should really push for them. It is no skin off his nose to prescribe them and they aren't all that expensive even if your insurance doesn't cover them. I think for 10 weeks supply including needles and syringes we paid $140. And if you start them at 16 weeks and take them until 36, you need 20 weeks supply, so less than $300.
Image
User avatar
lousli
Angel
Angel
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:00 am

Postby PixieB » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:47 pm

Your doc is looking for a 2nd professional opinion because he's not confident in this particular case and it's better safe than sorry.
The high risk doc will still be talking to YOU, and from what you've described it's worth taking your history seriously. I'd be very surprised if he didn't think it was that serious.

Relax, make sure you have your full history written down to give to the high risk doc or to act as a reference point for yourself, and be confident that you can be a strong enough advocate for your baby.
Talia Grace: born Friday 13th of July, 2007, at 27w4d gestation, 700g/1.5lbs. Nursed for 4 years
and Violet Joy: born Thursday 19th, VBAC waterbirth, 39w2d, 3.35kg/7lbs 6oz, still a booby monster, just shared it with her big sister for 18 months.
http://pics.livejournal.com/littlebutto ... y/0000scpq
Image
User avatar
PixieB
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1730
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Australia

Postby swankybich » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:38 am

Well, I am VERY relieved that the high risk Dr took my history very seriously!! So much so that he's ordered me on pelvic rest starting immediately! They have to order the P17 shots since my OB's office doesn't store them, so hopefully in the next few days I'll be able to start those.
Anyone else's husband naive to pelvic rest? My DH isn't too thrilled. He thinks that since I made it to 39 weeks with DS2, that my care should be exactly the same. He doesn't care to admit that I was dilating at 33 weeks and my cervix was shortening, even while on bedrest. Who knows if the outcome would be the same, I'd do ANYTHING to prevent another premie. He just doesn't get it. He's not the bio. father of DS1 so I don't think he ever could.
swankybich
Angel
Angel
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:00 am

Postby mom2abandkb » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:02 pm

well I'm glad this doctor is taking things seriously because growing a baby is a very serious business!

I'm sorry your new husband doesn't get it. I know the feeling. My first pregnancy 7 years ago went well except I had hypermesis, vomited all the time. This time around everything that could go wrong did in addition to the hyperemesis. And hubby did not get it and make things 10 times worse, no a thousand.
Lisa-37 dh-33 dd-6
Kiran 8/17/09 2lb 7oz, 14.5 (pre e,HELLP, vp)
Hernia surgery 11/5/09,G tube 7/24/10
130 days NICU- reflux,hypotonia,ptosis,2 meds 2x/day
Image
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kirangoel
Image
Imagehttp://www.marchforbabies.org/MODWalkforKiran
User avatar
mom2abandkb
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 2370
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:00 am
Location: S. Florida


Return to Preemies

cron