when do they catch up?

For new mommies with preemie babies

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

when do they catch up?

Postby toby1119 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:28 pm

dd was born 10 weeks early and is now 7 months old. 4.5 months corrected. she was 2lbs 12.4 oz and 14.5 inches long. she just turned 7 months yesterday and at her 6 month checkup she was 11lbs 14oz and 22 inches long. she is barely on the charts (just squeaking in at the 3rd percentile) corrected she is in the 15th. im getting a little worried about how tiny she it. she is SOOO much smaller than my friends babies who are the same age. socially she is right on target and for the most part she is reaching her milestones for her corrected age. but she dosent really roll over that much, she has done it but not all the time, and only from tummy to back and she is trying to super hard to go from back to tummy. is this all normal? when will she catch up?
toby1119
Angel
Angel

Postby nauticaboo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:03 pm

It all depends on the child.

If you are talking about growth-wise, that varies greatly. I know preemies that are 4 now, and still small for their age. Cindy's DD b is bigger than even most of the babies of her actual age. Desi is somewhere in between. She's 50th percentile for adjusted age, and about 25th percentile for actual. A lot of it just depends on your family's genetics also. Where prematurity leaves off, and genetics takes over, nobody probably knows.

In terms of developmental, it depends greatly on how premature your child is. One that's born 4-6 weeks premature will probably catch up faster than one that was 10+ weeks premature. Desi was born 13 weeks early, and in the beginning, she was behind even her adjusted age peers. Now that she's getting closer to two, the gap has shortened considerably, and she is ahead of her actual age peers in a lot of areas. Once again, some of that probably depends on genes.
Andrea & Kale - 28
DSS (7) and his half brother (4)

BFP after 32 cycles on 1st IUI with only 4 million post wash sperm count!

pPROM @ 25 weeks
Born on 4/3/09 @ 27 weeks (placental abruption) 2 lbs 5 oz, 14 in

ImageImage

nauticaboo
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Cindy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:56 am

nauticaboo wrote:It all depends on the child.

If you are talking about growth-wise, that varies greatly. I know preemies that are 4 now, and still small for their age. Cindy's DD b is bigger than even most of the babies of her actual age. Desi is somewhere in between. She's 50th percentile for adjusted age, and about 25th percentile for actual. A lot of it just depends on your family's genetics also. Where prematurity leaves off, and genetics takes over, nobody probably knows.

In terms of developmental, it depends greatly on how premature your child is. One that's born 4-6 weeks premature will probably catch up faster than one that was 10+ weeks premature. Desi was born 13 weeks early, and in the beginning, she was behind even her adjusted age peers. Now that she's getting closer to two, the gap has shortened considerably, and she is ahead of her actual age peers in a lot of areas. Once again, some of that probably depends on genes.

Yeah, I would say genes plays a big part in it. Bracey is the biggest out of her DDC despite being born 12 weeks early. After all of the babies were born, she was still the smallest weight as we left the ddc for a new one to come. Caid is big as well. She had to be removed out of her crib at a year because she was past the height limit on it.

Maybe Ayla was just destined to be tiny? Bracey has lung disease too so she was burning more calories then other babies would just by breathing. So it really does have to do with genes. All this being said, Bracey has really stopped growing weight wise, and Caid did at this age too. They will even out by the time they are 3ish I`m guessing. All my cousins children did the same preemie or not.
Cindy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby toby1119 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:52 am

dh and i are on the smaller side. he is about 5'8 and im 5'1ish. my inlaws are tiny people. mil is 5'2 110lbs my fil is about 5'7 and about 145lb. mydad is reg size. 6ft ish and about 185 and my mom is out of the picture so maybe she is gonna be tiny...
i should mention that my twin brother and i were born at almost 28 weeks and my brother now is 5 4 and about 150...so he is small.
just wanted to get an idea. thanks ladies...
toby1119
Angel
Angel

Postby MarriedtoaBaritone » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:15 pm

My Addie will be 3 (actual) in June, and many people tell me how tall she is for her age. (We haven't had to go to the ped since her 2 year well check, so we haven't done height and weight in a while. It's funny...cause you get so used to the constant checking and then they set you loose. :)) She is a lean child, but ALL of her cousins are tall and skinny, too. It's hard to know how much is being a preemie and how much is genetics.

Developmentally, Addie rolled early, even for her actual age, but then had pretty significant speech and gross motor skill delays later in babyhood/early toddlerhood. I highly recommend early intervention if your punkin qualifies--Addie has benefited from therapy (OT, PT, and speech) in ways I never would have imagined. She may even go to Kindergarten as a young 5 yr old, rather than waiting until the next year (which we would have done had she been born in September, when she was due.)
Melissa (32) and Adam (34)
DD #1: Adeline Laurel, born 6/12/08, due date was 9/18/08
1 pound, 8 ounces//135 days in the NICU

DD #2: Kate Elisabeth
BFP: 1/17/11//EDD: 9/25/11
born by repeat c-section on 9/6/11 (37 weeks + 2 days)
MarriedtoaBaritone
Star Member
Star Member

Postby toby1119 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:49 pm

we went to early intervention in january...the dr said she is ding well for her corrected age, and wanted to see her back in may. she didnt seem to think she needed pt or ot jus yet. ihope she dosent but we wills ee in may
toby1119
Angel
Angel

Return to Preemies