Just need to vent to someone who understands.

For new mommies with preemie babies

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Just need to vent to someone who understands.

Postby illbeyourpride » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:00 pm

My son was born 9 days ago at 34 weeks gestation. My water broke and I was gbs positive so delivering was a must. I did not receive any steroid shots or anything, and he came out kicking and screaming. He initially has trouble maintaining temp, so was moved to the nicu about 7 hours old for observation, he started maintaining on his own that day, but they wanted to hold him for observation and "just in case" antibiotics. His cultures came back clear and they were ready to give him back to me, but he wasn't eating so they've had him since. Tomorrow is day 10 in the nicu for feeding problems and I'm starting to get so discouraged. He's been on a feeding tube for a week and is getting better about his feeds, but they are asking so much of his 5.5lb body! He needs to take 50ml by mouth, within 30 minutes, every 3 hours for 24 hours to get the tube removed. A 40ml feed will push the tube removal back 24 hours. And even though he's taking about 2/3 of his feeds by mouth, and the rest are all above 35ml, the tube is nowhere near coming out.

I'm so frustrated and feel like he'll be in there forever, and just want my baby home with me. It doesn't feel natural to be without him and all I hear from everyone is "it's okay" or "that's where he needs to be", and I just want to hit them!

I KNOW that it could be so much worse, and I KNOW that it's better that he's there than sick at home, and I KNOW that no baby is there forever...but it doesn't change how I feel.
Heather, 25

DS1-Archer 12/17/09 Full term, 7lbs 2oz & 19"
DS2-Cohen 1/7/12 @ 34 weeks due to PPROM. 5lbs 7oz & 18". 11 day NICU stay.

Cloth diapering, bf'ing, SAHM.
illbeyourpride
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stacey0513 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:35 pm

I am SOOOO sorry you are dealing with this. You would be suprised with preemies, he might just start sucking those bottles and be home in like 2-3 days. Preemies are the most stubborn yet amazing creatures! he he Good luck and breath, your baby will be home soon and then the real fun begins!

stacey0513
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shrimpsey » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:40 am

((((HUGS)))) I totally understand the not feeling right feeling with him being in the hospital, even though you KNOW that is where he needs to be. Its like (for me anyways) I never felt whole, like a part of me was missing when my girls were in the hospital. The most difficult thing I have ever had to do was leave the hospital without my babies. And yes, I know they needed to be there, and that was the best place for them, blah blah blah, it still is the harderst thing EVER!!

As for the G-tube. I am so sorry it seems to be taking longer. Feeding issues are so tough to deal with. It sounds like he is dong really well though, usually when they turn the corner with that, they just turn it and things move fast from there. He is only 35 weeks gestation, give him about another week and I bet he is taking all feeds by mouth, that tube will be out in no time, even though it feels like forever. It is a GOOD day when you have a wireless baby ;) My ladies were in for 47 days, and I understand how tough and frustrating it can be. Hang in there momma, celebrate the small successes and don't get caught up too much in the "requirements" to come home. Just take it day by day, and soon enough, the day will come when you walk into the NICU and they start talking about rooming in to take him home!
Michelle 31 ~ Jim 38 ~ 2 angels 05/07 & 10/07
Believe| Breast is Best | Nutritional Cleansing
Our TAPS twins arrived at 31W2D~ Meghan 3lbs 1oz ~ Molly 2lbs 14oz
shrimpsey
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby illbeyourpride » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:41 pm

Thank you for listening! Cohen came home a few days after this post and is doing very well. I'm learning to view him by his adjusted age for now because weeks go by and he's still very newborn looking/acting. But I love him so much and am so happy he's here!
Heather, 25

DS1-Archer 12/17/09 Full term, 7lbs 2oz & 19"
DS2-Cohen 1/7/12 @ 34 weeks due to PPROM. 5lbs 7oz & 18". 11 day NICU stay.

Cloth diapering, bf'ing, SAHM.
illbeyourpride
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stacey0513 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:47 pm

SOOOOO glad he is home and doing so well! I found it fun to take my 3 month old out that looked like a newborn and told people how old he was and see their reaction! he he

stacey0513
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Preemies