crochet

Finally! :)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

crochet

Postby wifeymaeg » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:58 pm

So I'm trying to teach myself to crochet. Nobody in my family crochets... we knit and cross-stitch so I'm completely on my own. Well, MIL crochets... but no thanks! Anyhoo...

I am good with making the chain, and I completed a row of single crochet. I'm not very coordinated with it yet, but I can at least do it now. I have a book and watched a couple of videos but I don't understand how to finish the row, and then do the stitch thing before you start the new row.

Can anyone try to explain it to me? Or have a good tutorial/video? I'd also appreciate any other tips you have for a newbie!

TIA ladies :D
ImageImage
wifeymaeg
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Taylor_was_Waiting » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:03 pm

you are doing a single stitch?

You crochet to the end of the row, flip the piece. Then you do a single loop (like the loop stitch you did for row 1) and enter the second stitch in the new row. Then continue with the single crochet.

Does this make any sense?
Taylor, 27 DH 39 Cage Allen 6, Story James born oct 30, 2010 Image
ImageImage Image
Taylor_was_Waiting
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby pinkbabydust » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:50 am

I had a hard time with the same exact thing. the PP explained it correctly, but I'll try to as maybe different explanations sometimes help.

Starting from the beginning:

I make my chain row, lets say 20 stitches, (the 20th stitch actually being your "extra" chain to turn with) and then I go in the the next stitch down (the 19th stitch) and work down. Always count! Never forget to count! I've made so many crooked pieces by not counting. Continue down that row. When you get to your 19th stitch, you add one, equaling 20. Then (this is the part that confused me) the way you're currently holding your row should be that the needle is on the far left end of the row, and you now have to return the other direction. Holding it exactly as you are, take the RIGHT side of the chain and just flip it over to the left, like you're flipping it to the other side. Then continue down your row, count your 19, add your one chain to equal 20, and flip the right to the left again.

I hope that made some sense. :oops:
pinkbabydust
Star Member
Star Member

Postby wifeymaeg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:50 am

Thanks ladies! I'll try again later and let you know if I have success.
ImageImage
wifeymaeg
Addicted
Addicted

Postby punkybrewster » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:10 am

They're both explained correctly. For double crochet you want to add 3 extra stitches (chains) at the end of the row before turning.
punkybrewster
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby woodwind » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:31 pm

The "extra stitches" are actually called turning chains. You need to have them to be properly setup to start the next row at the right height, depending on which stitch the next row requires. If you go from a sc to sc, then only 1 turning chain is required; from a sc to a hdc, 2 chains are required; from a sc to a dc, 3 chains, etc.
woodwind

Postby Taylor_was_Waiting » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:20 pm

I don't count my stitches! :oops:

It is probably a good idea though, especially when you are new at it. My first piece was a blanket that came out totally bell shaped.

I crochet to relax so counting would NOT be relaxing. I can totally eyeball it now. With a really complicated, thick yarn I occasionally drop a stitch, but I make it up later. The bummer is that if you do miss a stitch you won't be able to tell until the row is complete.
Taylor, 27 DH 39 Cage Allen 6, Story James born oct 30, 2010 Image
ImageImage Image
Taylor_was_Waiting
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Hobby/Crafts [NEW!]