Question about fondant cakes..

Finally! :)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Question about fondant cakes..

Postby LoveVaeh » Fri May 20, 2011 11:19 pm

So, for you experts out there. I tried to do some fondant, and it came out really greasy and stuff. Do you not use crisco to make it not stick to you?

Also, what kind of icing do you put on the cake in between the cake and fondant? When I tried it, I'm not sure if my fondant was too greasy or I used to wrong icing, but it looked like my fondant was just sliding off the cake. Kinda weird.

I have only made one cake so far, but my next one id for my daughters birthday party and it is a lot more detailed. I am hoping for a better turn out.

All suggestions are welcome!!
Randi and Greg - Formula feeding, Retired Breastfeeding, Baby-wearing, Co-Sleeping/Bed-sharing Military Mommy and Daddy! - Yes, I can do it too!

:hb: 5 month breastfeeding milestone :hb:
Unfortunately, Had to quit at 5m3wk.. :(

Nevaeh - 7/7/04, 35wk, 5lbs 7oz
Ryenn - 10/24/08, 39w1d, 7lbs 7oz
Jordynn - 10/11/10, 40w1d, 7lbs 11oz
LoveVaeh
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:13 pm

I use powdered sugar to keep it from sticking. And if I've used so much that it starts to get dry/crackly, I add a teeeeny bit of butter.

As for icing. Buttercream works the best for this kind of thing. A nice firm buttercream. There are 2 types of buttercream: the kind made with butter and the kind made with shortening. Butter tastes better but shortening holds better. So I use a recipe that is half and half criso/butter.

HTH
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JanuaryMama » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:38 am

If you are new to fondant making... try marshmellow fondant! super easy to make sticks a bit easier too I have found!
JanuaryMama
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Hobby/Crafts [NEW!]