Cloth Pad Tutorial

Finally! :)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Cloth Pad Tutorial

Postby beautifullyBroken » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:49 pm

Here is a Cloth pad tutorial with pictures. I have the pattern available but can only email it, so if you are interested, pm me an email address where you can receive attachments.

Cloth Pad Tutorial

To make a cloth pad you will need 2 layers of fabric for the body, 2 absorbent layers and a top layer for the pad, snaps for fastening the pad, thread, stick pins, sharp scissors, and a sewing machine.

-To begin, print and cut out the pattern provided or trace a cloth pad that you own to make your own pattern.
For my pattern, print 2 copies of the pad pattern and 1 copy of the body pattern. You will need to cut out the inner shape on one copy of the pad pattern and the outer seam allowance shape on the 2nd copy. Here is what you should have when everything is all cut out:

-The next step is to pin each of the pattern on your fabric and cut it out. For my pads, I used 2 absorbent layers: an old dish towels and a PLU layer in the form of a waterproof crib mattress pad. It basically is 2 layers of batting with a layer of plastic in between. There are many materials that you can use for the absorbent material such as several layers of battling, wool, etc but I wanted to be able to make my pads for free so I used what I had on hand. In this example I used an old medium weight grey t-shirt for the top layer of the pad (I originally cut out a pink top layer from an old robe but realized it was too thick and decided to use the t-shirt. That's why it shows the top layer being pink in two pictures). For the body of the pad I used an old pair of flannel pajama pants.

Absorbent layers all cut out:

Top layer with seam allowance cut out: (remember, I switched fabrics after this picture was taken so this will be grey from here on out)

Body of the pad:

To make sure that the pad layers match up perfectly, I simply laid the cut out top body layer on the fabric and cut the exact match. When using different pattern or colors for the top and bottom layers of the body, be sure to lay the fabric wrong side together when you cut.

This is what you will end up with:

-Sewing Together: The next step is the sew the body layers together. Now the way that I did this was to simply pin the two bottom layers together and use a binding stitch at the edges. If you want to take the time, you can cut the bottom layers out with an extra 1/2 inch seam allowance, fold the fabric under at the edges, pin together, and sew with the bonding stitch. It probably would look cleaner but I didn't want to mess with it. So I did it this way. Here is an example of the stitch I used to bond the edges together.

Sew right along the edge of the fabric to bind together

-The 2nd part of sewing this together is to assemble the pad and then wrap the absorbent layers in the top layer. The top layer is folded over the pad and pinned on the under side.

Stack the absorbent layers. Put the PLU on the bottom and the 2nd absorbent material of your choice on top of that:

Place the stack, absorbent material side down on top of the top layer of the pad

Fold the top layer of the fabric and pin down onto the absorbent layers

*At this point, if your sewing machine can handle thick layers of fabric, you can simply pin the pad directly onto the body, choose a tight straight stitch and sew the pad onto the fabric

My machine cannot handle that many layers of fabric so I had to sew the pad together separately. I choose a tight straight stitch and sewed the pad layers together:

Turn the pad over and trim the excess top layer fabric

-To finish the pad: Now pin the pad onto the body and sew together. I used the same stitch that I used to sew the pad pieces together. I simply followed the seam that was already there. Because the fabric had been bound down tight along the seam, my sewing machine was able to sew through the fabric without issue and bind the pad to the body.

When you have everything sewed together, put snaps on the wings to hold the pad in place on your underwear. I drew this pattern with large wings because I had issue with bunching on a pad I have that had smaller wings. Placement of the snaps on the wings if up to you. I ended up having to use sew on snaps because I could not figure out how to get the metal ones to bind together correctly.

And you're done!

If you are interested in using this pattern, pm me a good email address for you where you can receive attachments. I have the pattern in pdf format.

Have fun and come back to show us what you made!
28-Single Christian SAHM
DD- 12/12/2000, Angel in Heaven 10/2003, DS1- 11/4/2004, DS2- 10/26/2006
beautifullyBroken
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Emmo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:16 pm

Awesome! You should totally make a blog about that!
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Hobby/Crafts [NEW!]