MTHFR

Place to talk and find support for high risk pregnancy

Moderators: B Michaelson, jessm, maddy, unaffected

MTHFR

Postby want2bamommy24 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:06 pm

Anyone else been diagnosed as having the MTHFR mutation? I recently learned I have one copy of this gene mutation. My OB recommended baby aspirin as the treatment, but I have read mixed things on what the best treatment is. If you have this, what did your doctor recommend as treatment? (I am not currently pregnant, BTW.)
Me (Jamie) - 30, DH - 31
DS born 7.10.12 via IVF after 4 years TTC!!

ImageApril 30, 2010 (10 weeks), ImageApril 30, 2011 (7 weeks)
want2bamommy24
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Has liked: 0 times
Been liked: 0 times

Postby HappyGoLucky » Tue May 24, 2011 6:23 am

I've researched a lot about this. Did you know 40% of the population has one copy (or hetero) MTHFR?
I'm Homo (two copies) MTHFR but I also have Factor V, Pai-1 and Hashimoto's with extremely high anti-thyroid antibodies.
After close to three years of TTC and several early losses I finally left my clomid/IUI happy RE and found an OBGYN who would let me 'try' a few rounds of lovenox. (The RE would only let me try baby aspirin until confirmed pregnancy but I knew my issue was w/ implantation because I couldn't carry past 4 1/2-5 weeks, we never made it to 'heart beat')
On our 4th lovenox & femara (I O really late on my own without meds) cycle we got this sticky bfp.
Typically baby aspirin is the treatment if you only have one copy but if you feel in your heart you need more then I would push for it, even find a different dr if you need to. Pray on it, God will guide you like he did for me, on the best treatment.
Here is a website of ladies ttc w/ lovenox http://community.babycenter.com/groups/ ... enox_group
And here is a yahoo group for women TTC with immunology issues (MTHFR) would fall in that group, this site is cram packed full of info and led me on my search for the right treatment: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/immunologysupport/
Be proactive, learn every thing you can to arm yourself with the right questions to ask your dr. Don't just go along w/ what they say, you have to almost dr. yourself when it comes to this.
Good luck, if I can help PM me :wink:
HappyGoLucky
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby JADE0199 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:06 pm

yes, happygolucky is correct, one copy of the mutated gene is pretty common. I am also + for one copy of MTHFR but also have Factor V which makes me alittle more high risk. My RE put me on baby aspirin and when I confirmed a pregnancy, I went on Lovenox at about 9 weeks and switched to Heparin at about 37 weeks pg.

I think your OBs suggestion to take baby aspirin regularly is a good one. Good luck and lots of babydust to you!
Cathy 43~DH 41
3 m/c's
IVF#1 5/07-BFN • DE IVF#2 -no tx
DE IVF#3. ID twin boys born 9/25/08
FET#1 9/09-chem • FET#2 11/09-BFN
IVF#4 w/DE. DD born 11/3/10
FET#3 b/g twins born 7/25/12
FET#4 ITS A BOY! born 5/8/14

JADE0199
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Been liked: 21 times

Postby photofashionista » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:11 pm

I also carry one mutation and had 3 miscarriages. My Dr. put me on aspirin and I started taking RRL tea and got preg with my sticky bean. :) I took the aspirin until I was 36 weeks.
Christina-32 3 miscarriages
Katelyn Michelle born after 4 long years of TTC 9.27.10, 8 lbs 12 oz., 20.5 "
Everett Steven 6.20.12, 8 lbs 15 oz, 21"
Number 3 due July 16, 2014
http://www.christinaskinnerphotography.com
photofashionista
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Been liked: 3 times

Postby ritzy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:48 pm

I have 2 copies of the gene and was put on baby aspirin until the day I delivered, lovenox injects. until 28 weeks and was on a heavy vitamin therapy... part of the mthfr gene is that it doesnt allow you to absorb folic acid properly or B vitamins. I was also told to start taking large amounts of folic acid and b vitamins. Pm me if you want to know exactly what it is I took (I can't remember off the top of my head and I would need to lookn it up...) Good luck!
Michelle 40 DH 39
DD1 6/18/03
MC:12/4/09 We will always love you baby girl!
Twin DD & DS 3/21/11- Our IVF Miracles!
M/C 5/3/12 Always in our hearts....

ritzy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Been liked: 6 times

Postby mereyurk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:15 pm

I have two copies of the gene as well. I'm taking extra folic acid because of this. I also have factor V leiden. Spoke to a hemo doctor who said a lot of people have factor v and he wasnt worried about that. But i also have lupus anticolaguent and positive ANA's. I'm on lovenox now. I'll be high risk. Now I"m seeing and RE since I'm only 4 weeks and 4 days but I'll be seeing a high risk doctor then. Had many miscarriages and I hope this will finally be it for me and a stick one.
Me (Meredith) 30
DH 31

mereyurk
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Lauren1980 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:49 am

I have one copy of the gene and throughout this pregnancy, I have been on 5 mg of folic acid a day. It is something that my doctors have recommended I continue even after I am pregnant, in order to prevent deep vein clots in the long term.
Lauren1980
Friend

Been liked: 1 time

Postby MicheleLM » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:03 pm

Addressing the folic acid - there is a prescription prenatal out called Neevo DHA that has a special kind of folic acid that is supposed to be really great for those with MTHFR (something about the type it is and it bypassing any issues with absorption), you might want to ask for a script - I'm on it "just in case" because of all of my losses.
*DD -12-22-08
*DS - 05-03-12
:angel: 4 Angel Babies:
Chemical, DS 17w, DD 9w, Blighted Ovum 9w

MyBlog: http://www.tryingagainajourneyoflove.blogspot.com
MicheleLM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby tracy181 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:30 am

My sister has this. She was pregnant multiple times and had reoccurring losses. Once she was dx, she was given baby aspirin and that was the pregnancies that stuck. I hope it works out for you!

Me ( 38 )
DH ( 36 )
DS 5
TTC #2 Since 6/09
tracy181
Star Member
Star Member

Postby swann81 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:03 pm

I have two copies and its recommended I take baby asprin and high doses of folic acid and vitamin b for my whole life to avoid blood clots, strokes, etc. I take Folbee Plus for this. I never had to do any other blood thinners. I had recurring miscarriages also, even after starting these meds. They found my progesterone does not raise like it should so I was also on progesterone to hold off AF until 14 days after ovulation. But now I have my magic potion because I am pg with #2.
Jordan Alyssa
Born 8/13/09 @ 5:57am @ 40 weeks
8lb 3 oz, 21" long

Xavier Gage
Born 10/19/12 @ 3:26am @ 38 weeks
8lb 8 oz, 20" long

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
swann81
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Been liked: 2 times

Re: MTHFR

Postby LeslieLou » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:42 am

I just found out I also have one copy of this gene (C). I am on my first pregnancy ever and exactly 6 weeks along. I had an ultrasound at 5w2d and all seemed to be progressing normally. I was told to take an EXTRA 200 mcg of B6, 500 mcg of B12 and 4mg of folic acid in addition to my prenatal. My doctor doesn't sound too worried and reassured me there is very little proof that this is directly correlated with miscarriages or birth defects, but I am worried that I have not been providing enough folic acid to my baby so far during this critical time. Is it possible that it has caused damage not having taken the extra folic acid, such as neural tube defects? (BTW my mom also recently found out she has this gene and had me and twins over thirty years ago and we were all perfectly healthy.) Please chime in ladies and let me know what you think. Thank you!
LeslieLou
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: MTHFR

Postby HappyGoLucky » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:22 pm

Leslie I think you're just fine, I'm positive you are actually.
There's so many things you can spend your time worrying about don't let this be one of them because I'm sure you'll be just fine!

I have two copies of MTHFR and factor V and I carried my son to full-term without any extra folic acid (i didnt know i had it then) and he's in gifted programs.
HappyGoLucky
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Return to High Risk Pregnancy