Info and how-to when using new features on the upgraded TWW!

Report technical problems with the forums

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi, ricko1

Info and how-to when using new features on the upgraded TWW!

Postby unaffected » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:50 am

First, a quick rundown of some changes and improvements that you may or may not be aware of:

• No longer are email addresses displayed below your posts or in your profile. This was changed for privacy reasons.
    • Only BBCode is accepted now, no more HTML. This is why your signature may look funny. Read below on how to update your signature.
    • A size limit was set for avatar images. This makes it so the structure of the forums isn't rendered wonky when someone has an extremely large avatar photo. The default setting was 80px by 80px, but that has been changed to 200x200. Please read below if you wish to know how to enlarge your current avatar.
    • A new color scheme option has been added. As much as we all love the pink and blue, a neutral gray was added as well.
    • You can now report spam when you see it. There will be a little icon in the upper right hand of a post that looks like an exclamation point. You can click that to easily report spam. This notifies the moderators so we can take care of it!
    • The Journal feature has been retired. As it was a rarely-used function, the owners/admin thought it was best to focus efforts on maintaining the more popular aspects of the site.
    • There is now a Quick Reply option to posts, which is very convenient.

ACCESSING THE USER CONTROL PANEL

With the new forum software, when wanting to make changes to your signature, profile, settings, avatar, etc, you now click on User Control Panel.

Once in the User Control Panel, you'll notice many more features and options than what was previously available. Here is what the User Control Panel main screen looks like:

As you can see, there are several tabs that you can navigate. By default, the Overview tab will come up automatically. In the Overview tab, one nice feature is the ability to Manage subscriptions (any threads or forums you subscribe to, which makes it easier to find them and to receive notifications when there is an update). Also in the Overview tab is the Manage bookmarks feature, where you can easily access topics you have bookmarked for later reading or easy locating. You can also save your message drafts in this new software. If you do, you can manage and edit your drafts in the Overview tab as well, by clicking on the Manage drafts option.

The next tab, beside Overview, is Profile.

In the Profile screen, you can adjust your settings, avatar, signature, etc.

Clicking on Edit signature will pull up a text entry screen so that you can edit/create your signature. One really nice feature is the ability to make enhancements to yoursignature text, just like you would in a new post. With options such as color, bold, URL, etc, you can customize your signature more easily than before.

Below the Edit signature option, you'll see Edit avatar. When we made the switch over to the new site, we set a limit on avatar size (80 pixels by 80 pixels). Turns out that's pretty small! All avatars were automatically adjusted in the process. The admins have changed it so that avatars can now be a maximum size of 200 pixels by 200 pixels.

In order to adjust your current avatar to a larger size, simply go down to the Avatar dimensions text boxes and delete the numbers out of there. Please note: this will ONLY work if your avatar photo is already 200 pixels wide or less. If it is larger than that or you get an error, please move on to the next step. If you do not get an error, your avatar photo should be larger!

If you have gotten an error, you have a couple options. You can either:
    1. Adjust the size of your photo to 200 px wide maximum in a photo editing program (Photoshop, Paint, etc), or adjust the size on Photobucket or wherever you are hosting the photo. Then re-upload or re-link the newly sized photo. Or...
    2. Guesstimate. In the Avatar dimensions text boxes, you can put 200 in each of the blank text boxes, and see what it gives you! This WILL resize your photo, but the proportions will most likely be off (i.e. you will have a squished photo or a stretched photo). You can play around with the options here until your photo looks normal (For a vertical/portrait photo, set the second text box to 200 and adjust the first one until your photo looks normal. For a horizontal/landscape photo, set the first text box to 200 and adjust the second box until your photo looks normal by trying different numbers, such as 175, 150, 125, etc. until it looks right).

Finally, the last option under the Profile tab is the Edit account settings option. Here you can update your email address (which will require activating the account via the new email address), or change your password.

The next tab over is Board Preferences. I'm not going to go through all of the options, as most are self-explanatory. But, I do want to mention that there is now an option for a new color scheme! Previously the only options were pink or blue. There is now a gray option as well.

And after that tab, is the Private messages tab. Here is where you can compose, read, and check the status of your private messages.

There is an interesting new tab called Friends & Foes. I'll admit, I've not really played around with this much, but it seems interesting enough. Here you can add members to either your friends or foes list, which alters some viewing settings.
Me (Kara): 31 DH: 31 ♥
TTC#1 since 2007
:angel2: Jan 2012 - No hb at 9w1d - d&c (Turner Syndrome/Monosomy X)
FET#3 - BFP!
Henry Marshall arrived on January 9, 2013 (39w2d)
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Re: Info and how-to when using new features on the upgraded

Postby mandee13 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:36 am

Ewww I hate the new format even more and honestly don't have the time to read all this to change anything for avatars or signatures. Ugh. Is it time to switch to Facebook yet ;)? Ladies am I the only one?
mandee13
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby unaffected » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:59 am

I'm sorry you aren't liking the new format, but it was long overdue. This "new" version of the software came out in 2007... so yeah. TWW had been running a tad behind. There are so many new features that tons of ladies have asked for. I understand not wanting to change, but updates are a good thing. And a lot of work and thought was put into the new features and additions.

ETA: And your tickers are working just fine, so there is no need to read the updates if you don't wish to. Your avatar hasn't worked since we joined the January DDC, so I'm guessing that's not much of a priority for you, change or not! :mrgreen:
TTC#1 since 2007
FET#3 - BFP!
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby unaffected » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:47 pm

Oh, and just wanted to mention... this post in itself is a new feauture: it's a global announcement. So this post and all of its replies will show up on every forum. I wanted this to be prominent for a week or so, just to get some info out to users about the new site.

:mrgreen:
TTC#1 since 2007
FET#3 - BFP!
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby alibubba » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:13 pm

I love the new format. The best part is the mobile site! :)
Me (Ali): 33 - DH: 32
Expecting our first 4/23/2013
1st Beta (8/14/12): 119
2nd Beta (8/16/12): 324
alibubba
Star Member
Star Member

Postby luvin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:19 pm

I love the new changes, and they aren't really that big of changes. It's not that much different. People are acting like it's this huge difference and, uh, it's not. They are good changes. I think if you are complaining about it then you are looking to complain anyway.
It's a girl!!
Officially: Evelyn Paige
[/url]ImageImage
luvin
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby princess_sam » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:36 pm

I like it! It will take some getting used to, but in a week or two it'll feel like normal I think! Upgrades are always awesome lol
My Blog: http://www.coreyandsamttc1.blogspot.com

DS1 - Jacob born Sept 28th/11 @40+1, 7lbs 15 oz
DS2 - Joshua born Apr 7th/13 @38+6, 6lbs 9oz

princess_sam
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emerald05 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:06 pm

I love the update as well, though it did take me a bit to get my bearings! And I love having the mobile site!!!

Thanks for the update and information Kara! :D
Me: 26 & DH: 27
IVF #1: BFP 9/10/12 @ 5dp5dt!
DD born May 8, 2013!

Surprise BFP Mar 27, 2014!
Beta #1 @ 22 dpo: 1617
Due: Nov 27, 2014

Emerald05
Angel
Angel

Postby Heligirl2 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:38 pm

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course (we all have different tastes!), but personally I love the new layout. It's more intuitive to use, the look of it is clean and uncluttered, and the features are easy to manage.
The mobile site is excellent - very handy as I work mostly off my cellphone. Thanks :D
Me: 32
DB: 34
:babyb: Baby Maddox born 30 November 2012
This will make for an awesome Christmas!

Heligirl2
Addicted
Addicted

Postby MommaOreo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:20 am

i love the new changes. At first i did not like the format because i was use to the old ways, but now that i am use to it i dont mind. loving the mobile site!
Me- Sam 26 Dh- Caleb 24 DD1- 5 yrs, :angel: 7/9/12, DD2- 2 yrs, DD3- 9 months, Baby#4- Jan 2016
It's a BOY! Baby Levi is due Jan 31, 2016!
MommaOreo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meggola » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:02 am

I love the neutral layout and the updated features! It's nice to feel like I'm on boards that aren't from the 90's! lol It's taken me a little bit to get used to it, but I'm really liking the changes as I figure them out. Thanks!
Me (Meg)-36, DH-33
TTC #1 since Nov. 09
:angel: 8/2010 @ 6w 1d (ectopic- natural BFP)
:angel: 3/2012 (chemical - IVF)

Our IVF/FET miracles born March 24, 2013 at 37w3d!

meggola
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KJ511 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:11 am

MommaOreo wrote:i love the new changes. At first i did not like the format because i was use to the old ways, but now that i am use to it i dont mind. loving the mobile site!

Yep, I think a lot of people probably will have an immediate reaction of "Yuck!" because new stuff can be hard to get used to. Now that I've been posting for a while I think the update is a lot more user-friendly and easier to sort through things! :)
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Technical Issues