Bleeding after bowel movement

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, jessm, maddy, unaffected

Bleeding after bowel movement

Postby syme » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:21 am

Really really worried at the moment. 6 1/2 weeks pregnant.

I went to the bathroom and had a (sorry tmi) tough bowel movement where I had to strain alot.

When I wiped there was bright red spotting. My stomach feels a bit weird but not really too crampy. No idea what I should do. I'm still waiting for medical insurance to be approved. Is this normal? Should I go in to the doctor anyways? Really scared. :(
syme
Star Member
Star Member

Has liked: 0 times
Been liked: 0 times

Postby airica » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:36 am

Couple questions...
1. Are you sure of the source of the bleeding? Many times straining can cause a little blood from the rectum.
2. Has the bleeding stopped or has it continued? If it hasn't picked up in flow or intensity, I'd bet your okay.
3. Are you having "period" like cramps? If the spotting is accompanied with strong period cramps - take warn.

In early pregnancy your cervix is very sensitive and tender. Straining too hard may cause a bit of spotting. As long as the spotting hasn't picked up or turned into a flow, I don't think you need to rush into a doctor's appointment. A call to them is free though and often reassuring...don't hesitate to call. Just remember - Don't push too hard. Take it easy. Lots of breathing - no straining.
Airica 31 & DH 35
TTC #1
airica
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby syme » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:47 am

Yes, the source of the blood was vaginal. I think it's stopped. Maybe very light cramps but nothing strong.

Sorry to be a worry wart, this is my first and I've had no bleeding til now. Really scared at the moment.

Do you think I should stay off my feet for the rest of the afternoon or is light activity okay?
syme
Star Member
Star Member

Postby airica » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:58 am

Don't be sorry! Of course you're worried. How about calling the doctor and speaking w/ a nurse. See what she/he says. I think it will put your mind at ease a bit. So many healthy pregnancies start with a bit of spotting at times; this is probably a one time thing for you. I would just keep an eye on it and see if the doctor or nurse can give you a bit of reassurance.
Airica 31 & DH 35
TTC #1
airica
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby woodwind » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:19 pm

If you're consistently having trouble with hard stools, eat a few prunes (if you like them) and it will help soften things up a bit. Apples would probably help too but prunes have always been rather effective for me.
Susan
DD - 20 yo, DD - 9 yo, DH & I expecting in Dec

www.SouthernButterflies.com

woodwind

Postby katinahat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:22 pm

Hey, I would try and call your primary care physician or your OB if you have one. If not, I would recommend calling a pregnancy help line or something-- they usually have healthcare practitioners that can answer questions like that. If it's light spotting, I would just make a doctor's appointment and keep track of it-- see if it worsens or stops (lay down, elevate your feet, etc.). But if it's heavier, I'd skip all that and go to the ER.

FYI: American Pregnancy Helpline 1(866)942-6466
Just googled that real quick, but you could call them if, like I said, you don't have an OB or physician that you can reach.
Me: 23
DH: 24
DD: 10 Nov 11

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.
katinahat
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby byebeautiful » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:37 am

I spotted red yesterday once after a hard bowel movement too. I would call the pregnancy helpline posted and seewhat they suggest.
Me- Amanda -27

My handsome boys:
Aiden Gauge
10/5/05
7lbs 11 oz's
21 1/4 inch
12:38 am

Jaxon Dillinger
12/24/08
7lbs. 5 oz
20 1/2
1:20am

Bentley Asher
11/13/11
7lbs 10 oz
20 1/4 inch
5:01 am
byebeautiful
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Cheerio2 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:03 pm

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I bled after bowel mvnts a few times. When I asked my doc about it she said it was normal. I forget what else she said with it as to why - but still. I remember not worrying after because of what she said
ImageImage

" width="0" height="0" alt="User avatar" />
Cheerio2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to First Trimester