advice

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

advice

Postby beckybenson » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:56 am

Hi everyone. How are you all doing? I know someone who has been TTC for a year now. They consulted their Doctor after 6 months of TTC. They continued with medication after that. But it seems like that isn't really working either. Any advice here would be appreciated. I should also mention that she has PCOS and her period is mostly irregular. Thanks!
beckybenson
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: advice

Postby hannahdavid » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:40 am

Usually, doctors do recommend TTC for at least 12 months and then consult them. I remember when I went to my OB after 5 months he refused to do any tests on me. According to him, I should try for at least 12 months. However, as you have mentioned that her periods are irregular that is an alarming issue only if that is something not in her genes. My sister used to have irregular periods but managed to conceive. What medications is she taking? For irregular periods I was given Provera after which I started my Clomid cycle. Provera did actually work for me and my periods got regular. However, I wasn't really able to conceive mainly because my issue was a lot serious. I think she should consult another doctor for the second opinion. This is just for precautionary measures. She should also get her blood tests done again. I hope she is soon able to conceive. All my prayers are with her. Do keep us updated.
-Low AMH and High FSH
-Poor Ovarian Reserve
-5 IUIs (failed)
-1 IVF (failed)
Life is a total mess
hannahdavid
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby @whenmytruerainbow » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:35 am

Hi there! It's nice to see you're this concerned about 'someone'. Hoping things are getting better for them. Irregular periods are very common and it’s the first issue with pcos she needs to address. Doctors usually prescribe metformin to help with that. Instead she could also take myo-inositol. This is a vitamin and has very similar results. Of course your friend should ask Gp before taking any supplements in her very case. The next thing to do is concentrate on weight loss. Something called 'paleo diet' works well and lots of exercise. Paleo focuses on eating less. And eventually no processed carbs and more lean protein and fresh vegetables. It also mostly excludes dairy and promotes eating more healthy fats. You can still eat good carbs like fruit. Nuts are great too and so are eggs. Exercise is ultra important with pcos because it helps regulate insulin. I'd also recommend really great book called 8 Steps to Reverse your PCOS. Well, if all those things mentioned still don't help her, then it's time to seek professional help. And the next idea will be to have a good consultation with a fertility expert. Hope my message was useful.
@whenmytruerainbow
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby EstrellaS » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:12 am

Hello, Becky. I think it's a very easy solution. She should look to go for IVF. It's the most obvious solution. PCOS and IVF go hand in hand. Good luck to her. Hopefully, it works out for her.
EstrellaS
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Caprice » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:11 am

That sounds like a really difficult situation. The poor girl, she must be so stressed. I think it makes sense to consider assisted conception. IVF, in particular, is known to have a really high success rate with PCOS. Hopefully, this is true for her, as well. TTC can be so hard! Sending her baby dust.
Caprice
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby AmySmith » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:55 am

Hey, Becky. I hope you're okay. I can understand your friend's situation. She must be feeling lost. It's okay, though. I went through exactly the same thing. PCOS is such a terrible issue! It's so difficult to conceive with it. However, all is not lost. There are a lot of options. IVF is a great option for women suffering from PCOS. There's also IUIs. They are also quite reliable. Fertility increases with every IUI attempt. So, it's quite a decent option to go for. Good luck to her! I hope this helps her make a decision.
AmySmith
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby @whenmytruerainbow » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:02 am

Although a woman may need just one or two therapies to restore fertility, it's possible that several different types of treatment may be needed before she's able to conceive. Firstly, stimulating ovulation with fertility drugs. Fertility drugs are the main treatment for women who are infertile due to ovulation disorders. These medications regulate or induce ovulation. One should talk with the doctor about fertility drug options (Including the benefits and risks of each type.) Secondly, Intrauterine insemination - During IUI, healthy sperm are placed directly in the uterus around the time the woman's ovary releases one or more eggs to be fertilized. Depending on the reasons for infertility, the timing of IUI can be coordinated with your normal cycle or with fertility medications. Finally, surgery to restore fertility. Uterine problems such as endometrial polyps, a uterine septum or intrauterine scar tissue can be treated with hysteroscopic surgery. Well, finally it's up to the clinic to invent the best treatment plan for the couple. They also should be ready to answer questions to help the doctor quickly determine next steps in making a diagnosis and starting care. Possible questions for them include: How long have you been actively trying to get pregnant? How frequently do you have intercourse? Do you use any lubricants during sex? Do either of you smoke? Do either of you use alcohol or recreational drugs? How often? Are either of you currently taking any medications, dietary supplements or anabolic steroids? Have either of you been treated for any other medical conditions, including sexually transmitted infections? Are you exposed through your work or lifestyle habits to chemicals, pesticides, radiation or lead? etc. Hope they're in some really reputable place. Tell them my best wishes.
@whenmytruerainbow
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby @whenmytruerainbow » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:04 am

For infertility, some basic questions to ask your doctor include:
What are the possible reasons we haven't yet conceived?
What kinds of tests do we need?
What treatment do you recommend trying first?
What side effects are associated with the treatment you're recommending?
What is the likelihood of conceiving multiple babies with the treatment you're recommending?
For how many cycles will we try this treatment?
If the first treatment doesn't work, what will you recommend trying next?
Are there any long-term complications associated with this or other infertility treatments?
@whenmytruerainbow
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby mimimama » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:17 am

Just wanted to wish the best of luck xx
Me 31, DH 40. TTC 5 years. Unexplained infertility.
December 2015- IVF #1 BFN
May/June 2016- new doctor, IVF consultation in Gdansk Poland
October 2016- IVF #2 Invicta BFP!!!
July 2017 - our daughter M arrived, we are so happy
mimimama
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Xenia » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:51 pm

You should suggest her to go for assisted conception. Six months is a long time, you know. Especially, when she has PCOS, as well. It would make a lot of sense to go for it. IVF and IUI seem to be her best shots. Good luck to her! I hope things work out really quickly.
Xenia
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to General Infertility